"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Btw, your thread title reminded me of my early days of dating DH. I knew he worked at Costco, but didn't know exactly what he did. One day he said something about his "stalker box." My brain didn't put 2 and 2 together and I thought he was joking around so I asked what supplies one needs to stalk. He stated matter-of-factly that all he really needed for stalking was a few pens, a big roll of tape and a couple box knives.

Of course he said "stocker," but I heard "stalker." It became a joke and after I always teased him that I needed to buy him some binoculars so he'd have a proper "stalker box."

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I, too, am a stalker. I have been doing this for as long as I can remember and I'm sure it was borne of necessity. Raising 8 children, 5 of whom were boys, made it absolutely necessary to stretch our grocery dollars to the screaming level.

Even though I've shopped for two for the last 18 years, I still adhere to my stalking ways. It allows me to splurge on other tasty delights like fresh salmon, etc.

Yes, I repackage everything, not just the discounted purchases. Mostly to portion for cooking-for-two meals. I rewrap in Press 'n Seal and then vacuum seal with my FoodSaver. And I do the repackaging immediately after returning home from the store. I label and date and put into the freezer. I have a small wipe-off board on the freezer door where I keep track of what goes in and erase as I use things. Been doing this for quite a few years and I am pleased to report that very little gets lost in the shuffle.

Yes, "Hello. My name is Katie and I'm a stalker."

Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #13
Certified Cake Maniac

Katie, we could be twins! Right down to the white board and the portioning.

I IQF meats, individually wrap them and put them in freezer bags, labelling with date and quantity. I also precook some things such as chicken thighs, Italian sausages, chops, etc., IQF and bag them for DH's dinners.

Part of this came from my mother and part from being a caterer but it works. That's my story and I am sticking to it!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The worst day to buy fish is Monday. It has been sitting there since last week and the fleet hasn't unloaded their boats that came in over the weekend.
The last time there was a fleet of boats on my shores was the War of 1812
Old 11-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have a question for our members. Do you pop your meats into the freezer in the store wrap and tray that you bring them home from the store, or do you rewrap them? I always rewrap mine after I have cut them down to a single serving. Even the smallest package of sausages is more than I can eat in one sitting. "
I always rewrap anything I bring home to freeze. I now have a FoodSaver, and use that exclusively, but before I got one, I use "Wrappits" and then the Ziplock bags, with as much air sqeezed out as possible - sometimes I would use a straw and suck the air out. It worked for short time storage only, but it worked.

Just freezing them in the butcher pkg. will allow ice crystals to form.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I always rewrap as well. Which reminds me, I have some meat that I need to rewrap...my parents toss the "store" packages in the freezer--drives me crazy! If I buy frozen "bulk" packages, I break the pieces apart with a cleaver (or a splitting wedge [kitchen use only] and hammer...).
Old 11-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am a stalker. I don't even look at the sales until I have checked the day old bins. Re-wrap and use the Foodsaver. Larger packages are split into meals for two. Large roasts are cooked whole and individual meals done from there.

I only shop Costco meats for Salmon and Pork butt in large quantities. The pork for tamales, divided for two families.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I, too, am a stalker. I have been doing this for as long as I can remember and I'm sure it was borne of necessity. Raising 8 children, 5 of whom were boys, made it absolutely necessary to stretch our grocery dollars to the screaming level.

Even though I've shopped for two for the last 18 years, I still adhere to my stalking ways. It allows me to splurge on other tasty delights like fresh salmon, etc.

Yes, I repackage everything, not just the discounted purchases. Mostly to portion for cooking-for-two meals. I rewrap in Press 'n Seal and then vacuum seal with my FoodSaver. And I do the repackaging immediately after returning home from the store. I label and date and put into the freezer. I have a small wipe-off board on the freezer door where I keep track of what goes in and erase as I use things. Been doing this for quite a few years and I am pleased to report that very little gets lost in the shuffle.

Yes, "Hello. My name is Katie and I'm a stalker."
I love your idea of using a wipe-off board on the freezer door. Thanks for sharing.