Need PC advise.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don;t know any tips to offer up to this point, which is why I kept my mouth shut for once. Mostly I like my desktop. However, the last time I took mine in for maintenance I picked up a Dell Inspiron from them as a loaner ( it isn't free, not sure why it's called a "Loaner", like a car loaner, I expect they're not free anymore either.) Anyway, I loved loved that Inspiron.

Maintenance? Never heard of anyone taking their computer in for maintenance. How much does that cost?

Something like this is all a basic user needs, it provides a firewall and other security features.

TRENDnet TEW-711BR N150 Wireless Home Router IEEE 802.11b/g/n, IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.3az - Newegg.com

This doesn't include the modem itself, but is in addition to the modem. Most ISP charge monthly for the modem and a premium for that modem with wireless, so this would pay for itself in no time.

If you are going with cable internet a modem/wireless combo can be had for around $100, at Target among other retailers, that would eliminate the equipment fee all together.

Thanks Chef. I had no idea I could get a router that inexpensive. Wireless "N"? I have heard many good things about Newegg.
From now on, I will check their price before buying anything.

We are stuck with DSL here. Windstream to name them. They suck.
But they do provide a wireless router/modem combo at no extra charge.

Last edited:
Maintenance? Never heard of anyone taking their computer in for maintenance. How much does that cost?

Thanks Chef. I had no idea I could get a router that inexpensive. Wireless "N"? I have heard many good things about Newegg.
From now on, I will check their price before buying anything.

We are stuck with DSL here. Windstream to name them. They suck.
But they do provide a wireless router/modem combo at no extra charge.

I have had fantastic service from newegg, I recommend them.

I'm on a souped up version of DSL, VDSL2 with at&t Uverse and it's pretty fantastic, they also included wireless at no extra charge. We stream a lot and need good speed.

Back
Top Bottom