"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-23-2006, 09:48 AM   #21
Hospitality Queen

Thanks, GB -
I was actually considering that, but even though our wall borders us, to actually walk to her house is 1/2 mile (!) I'm kind of in a cul de sac, and the entrance to her place is far away.
Perhaps I can put something on the wall as a truce offering.

Old 09-23-2006, 12:55 PM   #22
Traveling Welcome Wagon

They say (or maybe Abraham Lincoln said it) that the best way to get rid of your enemies is to make them your friends.

Have her over for tea and win her heart. And if that doesn't work...

Well, did you ever see the movie "Arsenic and Old Lace?" I'm sure you get the picture!

Oh my gosh, new people probably think I'm horrible! Only in my plotting. Not in real life!

Barbara

Old 09-23-2006, 01:15 PM   #23

I favor the mediation approach that someone suggested, although for it to work, both parties must be rational, and it sounds like your neighbor may not be in that category.

Someone once said that good fences make good neighbors, so perhaps you should consider a better fence. Could you add to the existing fence, or replace it, making it high enough that the top is beyond your neighbor's reach?
Old 09-23-2006, 08:08 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino
Could you add to the existing fence, or replace it, making it high enough that the top is beyond your neighbor's reach?
I like the higher fence idea!! jkath - do you own the fence?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 08:17 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

OR...

You lower the wall a little every day and the lady thinks she is growing and moves to a retirement home because of the stress of it all.

Barbara
Old 09-23-2006, 08:51 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Barbara - you are soooooooooooo bad!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Barbara - you are soooooooooooo bad!
LOL It is just a little twist on what I have been doing to an elf up in Hickory. (Haven't you noticed you are getting a lot taller lately?).

Barbara
Old 09-23-2006, 09:40 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I like Amber and Andy's ideas.
Also, I don't know how you worded your previous 3 notes to her, but maybe a card worded a little something like the following left on her porch attached to the bird house could make a positive difference...

Dear Ms. ___
You certainly have a precious and kind heart in feeding our birds. I want to communicate to you that I respect you for this. In effort to live amicably as neighbors and as a contribution to feeding the birds, I am offering you this birds house along with some feed. Please accept this token of friendship.
Your neighbor,
sign

You may have worded your notes thoughtfully with noting an understanding of her perspective, but that is the best I can come up with. I hope it works out peacably.
-JC
Old 09-24-2006, 02:46 AM   #29
Senior Cook

I agree with GB. Show her you mean business, then invite her over for tea. It might mean the world to her. For someone who is old and alone, life can get boring, and being cranky goes along with it. She may be lonely, and the birds are her "friends." I actually had a situation like that with a neighbor many years ago. The entire neighborhood thought they were terrible. It turned out that they were childless and getting old, and they turned out to be absolutely lovely. I'd have missed something if I hadn't befriended them. When we moved away, they were the saddest to see us go.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:26 AM   #30
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne
I agree with GB. Show her you mean business, then invite her over for tea. It might mean the world to her. For someone who is old and alone, life can get boring, and being cranky goes along with it. She may be lonely, and the birds are her "friends." I actually had a situation like that with a neighbor many years ago. The entire neighborhood thought they were terrible. It turned out that they were childless and getting old, and they turned out to be absolutely lovely. I'd have missed something if I hadn't befriended them. When we moved away, they were the saddest to see us go.
I love happy ending stories.

Barbara