"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-09-2011, 07:16 PM   #11
Executive Chef

When my son was battling cancer, someone called one night and said that they were getting carry out for dinner. They asked what my son was hungry for. He wanted pizza. They asked what he wanted for desert, and he couldn't do sweets at the time, so they brought pizza to us with a desert they knew the rest of us would enjoy. God bless the people who take care of us all when we are down.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
Executive Chef

...and it really is the thought that counts. We even froze a desert that we thought my son might enjoy later that someone had made. Three weeks later he asked for it, and it was just fine out of the freezer. He then called the sender and thanked them at that time.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey NA, nice to see you again. You were my inspiration for making risotto.
Sorry about your neighbor.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Well, my oldest son and I started off our Saturday by mowing our lawn as well as the neighbors. We went to the store, still not knowing what our neighbor may like to eat or what he would be able to hold down.

I had decided to make some soup and thought I'd make Zuppa Toscana, like you would get at Olive Garden. I had made it before and everyone has always liked it, so I thought I would give it a try. She (neighbors wife) had recently given us a small bag of potatoes from her inlaws garden and said she had no energy to cook and thought we could use them. I did use all of them for this soup.

My youngest son, 5 y/o, helped me peel and chop the onion as well as add everything to the pot. I was surprised that the onion had no effect on him as he was as close as I was while I cut it into sections. I was teary eyed and had to step away and he kept getting into them with his little fingers.

My wife was out of town with our daughter and was letting me know when they would be back home (my wife & his communicate a lot by text) They knew I was bring something over but had no idea what it was. I had my oldest son take a taste test and he said I should add a little more salt, so I did.

When they got home we took over a large popcorn bucket sized tupperware bowl full of soup. My youngest had to carry it himself and give it to him, he really likes him. I told them what we had made and she got so excited and said that it was his favorite thing to get when they went to Olive Garden.

We only talked for about 1 minute and me and the boys came home to watch a movie. I got a text from my wife a little later that night that the neighbors loved the soup and he was able to keep it down.

I had a good weekend with my boys and each of them felt good about helping our neighbor in different ways. I am ecstatic that I made something that someone else enjoyed but I feel SO bad! I wish I could do something more...I don't know. As I sit here teary eyed, no longer from the onion, I'm not sure whats next & I can NOT even imagine how they feel. They have to deal with this EVERY day and that hurt me, I wish it wasn't this way. I wish them the best and I hope everything works out for them!!

Sorry for the long post, I just needed to get things out!

Thank you all for the responses, you have helped me a lot!!
Old 09-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #15
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAchef View Post
Well, my oldest son and I started off our Saturday by mowing our lawn as well as the neighbors. We went to the store, still not knowing what our neighbor may like to eat or what he would be able to hold down.

I had decided to make some soup and thought I'd make Zuppa Toscana, like you would get at Olive Garden. I had made it before and everyone has always liked it, so I thought I would give it a try. She (neighbors wife) had recently given us a small bag of potatoes from her inlaws garden and said she had no energy to cook and thought we could use them. I did use all of them for this soup.

My youngest son, 5 y/o, helped me peel and chop the onion as well as add everything to the pot. I was surprised that the onion had no effect on him as he was as close as I was while I cut it into sections. I was teary eyed and had to step away and he kept getting into them with his little fingers.

My wife was out of town with our daughter and was letting me know when they would be back home (my wife & his communicate a lot by text) They knew I was bring something over but had no idea what it was. I had my oldest son take a taste test and he said I should add a little more salt, so I did.

When they got home we took over a large popcorn bucket sized tupperware bowl full of soup. My youngest had to carry it himself and give it to him, he really likes him. I told them what we had made and she got so excited and said that it was his favorite thing to get when they went to Olive Garden.

We only talked for about 1 minute and me and the boys came home to watch a movie. I got a text from my wife a little later that night that the neighbors loved the soup and he was able to keep it down.

I had a good weekend with my boys and each of them felt good about helping our neighbor in different ways. I am ecstatic that I made something that someone else enjoyed but I feel SO bad! I wish I could do something more...I don't know. As I sit here teary eyed, no longer from the onion, I'm not sure whats next & I can NOT even imagine how they feel. They have to deal with this EVERY day and that hurt me, I wish it wasn't this way. I wish them the best and I hope everything works out for them!!

Sorry for the long post, I just needed to get things out!

Thank you all for the responses, you have helped me a lot!!
Your caring is the best thing you can give them and the very best thing you can teach your sons. Send your boys over to read out loud to him, it doesn't matter what the stories are, but their giving of time and caring will be a great gift.

When the weather gets cold, have the boys run over and clear the snow off the car while you shovel the walks. It doesn't all have to be food. Time and energy are fantastic gifts.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:26 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Your caring is the best thing you can give them and the very best thing you can teach your sons. Send your boys over to read out loud to him, it doesn't matter what the stories are, but their giving of time and caring will be a great gift.

When the weather gets cold, have the boys run over and clear the snow off the car while you shovel the walks. It doesn't all have to be food. Time and energy are fantastic gifts.
Thanks for the advice, he does like video games as well as my oldest son and that could be something positive for him. My youngest son really likes him and their dog, I will try to get them over their more often to lift the spirits.

I have cleared the drive way, of snow, for them this last winter as I did for other neighbors as I'm the only one with a snowthrower on the street. I will just try to make things easy on them and hope for the best.

Thanks for the ideas!