"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
We are going to buy a new flat screen plasma tv very soon. You have all given me a lot to think about. Ours will be a 42 inch one. Looks like Sony is a good one. Friends have a Panasonic which they like . Any opinions on that one?
Where do you go to look up various tvs and prices?
This is my favorite site for buying anything electronic.
Product Reviews - Welcome to CNET Reviews - CNET.com

The of course there is Amazon and their customer reviews.
There's another one, too.... it was posted in my topic on HD TVs, but I don't have it on this PC. It has a good review section and a forum that you can do a search on whatever set you are interested in. Someone will have one and either be saying how great it is or b####in' about it

I've read good things on Panasonics and one of their models is supposed to be "the one" all others are compared to. I don't remember if it was a plasma or an LCD, though.

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:09 AM   #72
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
andy, thanks for the link to avs forum. i'm more confused now than ever, about which hdtv to buy. the 40" sony xbr4, or the samsung 4071.

but at least i have a lot more info to agonize over.

itk, i asked the experts, and they said it depends on how often you turn it on and off. the biggest risks are to the power supply (easily replaced if needed), or the backlight (not easily replaced).
it's ok to turn it on for 5 or 10 minutes, so long as you're only doing that a few times a day. in fact, you're saving energy.
but if you're turning it on and off for 5 or 10 minutes a few times an hour, then you end up stressing the power supply trying to provide the high voltage for the backlight, which is usually a type of flourescent lamp. flourescents eventually burn out, so it would be better to leave it on.

somewhere on a curve, there's the difference between saving money on energy and having to spend it on repairs.

hope this helps.
thanks buckytom for checking to see about turning on and off! Now I question myself about even thinking about turning it on unless I am almost SURE I won't have to leave in next 15 minutes! I want to do what is best but it sure isn't easy, if you are conscious of all the results. Getting something new and expensive is one thing I want to respect. We all should.

Thanks for your help and time buckytom. I certainly appreciate. Now if I only can remember and not get into old habits.

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote