Next iron chef question, anyone know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Hi to my favorite foodies.
I watched the Next Iron Chef thing on TVFoodnetwork as maybe many of you did also.
I'm confused.
Is Morimoto gone?
Is Mario Batalli gone?
I don't see their pix on the wall anymore.
Bobby F and Cat C were judges on the final Next Iron Chef but MM and MB weren't there.
Any answers would be appreciated.
Also, do you agree with the winner?
I thank Uncle Bob for telling me about August in New Orleans as it's now my favorite place in the world to eat so I wanted Chef John Besh to win. Now I suppose I will have to someday go to Lola.

I haven't heard anything about their leaving. I would not assume they are gone based on not being there for the judging...

Hi to my favorite foodies.
I watched the Next Iron Chef thing on TVFoodnetwork as maybe many of you did also.
I'm confused.
Is Morimoto gone?
Is Mario Batalli gone?
I don't see their pix on the wall anymore.
Bobby F and Cat C were judges on the final Next Iron Chef but MM and MB weren't there.
Any answers would be appreciated.
Also, do you agree with the winner?
I thank Uncle Bob for telling me about August in New Orleans as it's now my favorite place in the world to eat so I wanted Chef John Besh to win. Now I suppose I will have to someday go to Lola.

I was wondering if one of them would be leaving, too, but they're all still listed on the Web site (although not on the title ;) ): Mario Batali - Masaharu Morimoto - Cat Cora - Bobby Flay - Iron Chef America - Show List A To Z - TV - Food Network

re: pix on the wall, maybe they're just promoting Michael Symon for now. And they had three judges all along, although it was quite a surprise to have iron chefs judge the last one :ohmy:

I was rooting for John Besh all along, but the last challenge, in Kitchen Stadium, I thought Symon did exceptionally well, and it seemed like the judges *really* did not like the dessert Besh made - I mean really, a swordfish dessert? Nice try, Besh.

Now I suppose I will have to someday go to Lola.

Do you mean NOLA (New Orleans, LA)? I've only been there once, but I loved it - gorgeous city, great food, lots of fun.

Did anyone see the one with Batali/Ray and Flay/Di Laurentiis? Giada jumping up and down in frustration because her water wouldn't boil was just *too funny*. And the look on her face when Cook Rachael beat Chef Giada was priceless.

I was wondering if one of them would be leaving, too, but they're all still listed on the Web site (although not on the title ;) ): Mario Batali - Masaharu Morimoto - Cat Cora - Bobby Flay - Iron Chef America - Show List A To Z - TV - Food Network

re: pix on the wall, maybe they're just promoting Michael Symon for now. And they had three judges all along, although it was quite a surprise to have iron chefs judge the last one :ohmy:

I was rooting for John Besh all along, but the last challenge, in Kitchen Stadium, I thought Symon did exceptionally well, and it seemed like the judges *really* did not like the dessert Besh made - I mean really, a swordfish dessert? Nice try, Besh.

Do you mean NOLA (New Orleans, LA)? I've only been there once, but I loved it - gorgeous city, great food, lots of fun.

Did anyone see the one with Batali/Ray and Flay/Di Laurentiis? Giada jumping up and down in frustration because her water wouldn't boil was just *too funny*. And the look on her face when Cook Rachael beat Chef Giada was priceless.

1. MS seems to know his stuff and whoever it was that said, the last thing a person remembers is the last thing they ate meaning the dessert was obviously correct.
2. I do mean Lola which is in Cleveland Ohio> Michael Symon's restaurant.
3. Yes, I watched that Iron Chef with BF and MB and the two lady's and do agree, GDLR seemed stressed out to me too.
4. Now that it's mentioned MM was there and did do some of the judging. Now though, watching the Iron Chef with MS on his first challage, I did not see MB or MM's photo on the back wall, just BF and CC's. So???

Last edited:
1. Michael Symon [and his laugh] when he used to have a cooking show just drove me bats. Unfortunately for me, that laugh isn't infectious. He seems to know his stuff and whoever it was that said, the last thing a person remembers is the last thing they ate meaning the dessert was obviously correct.

Funny how the same thing affects people differently :) I thought his laugh was cute and it always made me smile - it sounded like he was having a great time.

2. And no, I do mean Lola which is in Cleveland Ohio> Michael Symon's restaurant or else he's the head chef there, not sure.

Oh, sorry - I didn't remember that.

3. Yes, I watched that Iron Chef with BF and MB and the two lady's and do agree, GDLR seemed highly stressed out to me too.
4. Now that it's mentioned MM was there and did do some of the judging. Now though, watching the Iron Chef with MS on his first challage, I did not see MB or MM's photo on the back wall, just BF and CC's. So???

I don't know if that means anything or not. While TNIC series was going on, I was thinking it might be to replace Morimoto, since he's rarely chosen by the challengers. I found this discussion on Chowhound.com - Batali denies he's leaving: Batali Did Not Quit Iron Chef America - Food Media and News - Chowhound

But who knows? There's one way to find out - stay tuned! :-p

And no, I do mean Lola which is in Cleveland Ohio> Michael Symon's restaurant or else he's the head chef there, not sure

Actually he owns two restaraunts here. Lola and Lolita. Unfortunately I never have the time or the money to go to either one.

On the final decision. One of the attributes they judged was how they came across on TV--are they entertaining. I think Besh is probably a better chef, but Symon is more outgoing and entertaining. I think that is why he got the nod....

I kind of agree with Jeff here.
And to answer the original question - Mario is leaving the show.

Mario is out completely at the Food Network. He is persona non grata right now but no one knows exactly why that I've found.

I hate that Michael won. I wanted Besh, I think he's classier but with who the judges were, it was clear from the get go Besh would stick around to keep viewers interested in the competition but Michael was a shoe in for the win. It's just a fact. The way they did that show was kind of a joke to me.

I thought from the beginning that Besh would win, though I rooted for Symon the whole time. I know Symon and Michael Ruhlman have a bit of a history; Symon was a big resource for at least two of Ruhlman's books. And I think in the end, the reason they picked Symon was because he was willing to push his boundaries, and succeeded at it. Sure, Besh was daring (or stupid, can't figure for sure) enough to attempt a last minute swordfish dessert, but it failed. Heaving read Ruhlman's books and knowing that he, like I, is a stickler for proper technique, I know Symon likely has the better technical skills. Even more than that though, I think Symon has a better understanding of American cuisine as a whole, than Besh who really knows everything about Cajun/Creole/Louisiana regional cuisine. Besh pushed his southern Louisiana brand at every opportunity, and while he was good at it, it IS Iron Chef America, not Iron Chef Louisiana. And yes, each of the existing Iron Chefs do have their own comfort zones that they generally function within, but they have all demonstrated the ability to succeed beyond their comfort zones, but Besh never did.

One final thing about Besh- I totally agree with Ruhlman's critique of Besh's Watermelon Consomme', it was NOT a consomme, and Ruhlan was correct in noting that. That was simply sloppy naming or menu writing or w/e you want to call it on Besh's part. He KNOWS it wasn't a consomme.

One, that story is old. Two, no one necessarily said he was fired. He could have walked away and FN could plausibly deny firing him. Either way, he's out regardless of what a story that is several months old may say. He's actually doing PBS right now.

Do you believe Mario himself? Food Network Is Still Hot for Mario Batali - TV Guide News Report | TVGuide.com

Do you know of a more recent story saying Batali is leaving? All one ones I've seen refer back to The New York Post's story in Sept.: Rumor Alert: Mario Batali isn't coming back to the Food Network - Slashfood

No, because that stories as old as the other one.

Do you know of a more recent story saying Batali is leaving? All one ones I've seen refer back to The New York Post's story in Sept.: Rumor Alert: Mario Batali isn't coming back to the Food Network - Slashfood

I heard it from a person who was auditioning for The Next Food Network star a couple weekends ago and his lack of presence at the end of The Next Iron Chef seem to confirm his status as not being there. He's got no shows on the network now. How is he still associated if he has no shows and is off Iron Chef America?

I do know he wasn't standing there this week for the new episode.

Last edited:
No, because that stories as old as the other one.

I don't see how the fact that it's from September means it's not true.

I heard it from a person who was auditioning for The Next Food Network star a couple weekends ago and his lack of presence at the end of The Next Iron Chef seem to confirm his status as not being there. He's got no shows on the network now. How is he still associated if he has no shows and is off Iron Chef America?

Ah. I was hoping you had a public source for that info. re: having no shows, the Food Network itself says he has taped some episodes of ICA and will do some specials.

Do Cat Cora or Morimoto hvae FN shows? If they do, I've never seen them.

Got no news on this. But his shows have been phased out...obviously hasn't made a Molto episode in a few years. And the all Emeril all the time network has become the all Rachel all the time when it's not Paula network. PBS gets my vote for serious cooking shows, because even Bourdain gets tiresome grousing in foreign countries.

Back
Top Bottom