"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-09-2008, 11:49 PM   #11
Head Chef

I had a mess sargent that had survived the Battan death march and he had a big sign in the mess hall take what you want but eat all you take. and if he caught you wasting food he was all over you like a wet blanket. I will gauranty you only done it once..

Old 12-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
Master Chef

What a great policy! I hardly ever eat at all-you-can eat buffets, but there is one Chinese one nearby that I sometimes go to when lazy. Food is not that great but there's loads of it

Similar to Katie's experience, but IMO even worse was last time a woman and her 2 children took ALL the shumai dumplings when they came out of the kitchen. They make them in batches of about a dozen. SHe rushed up and took them all. Then she took the next batch too. There were lots of people there that wanted some but she just kept taking them. SHe was really the only one eating them and she left about a dozen on the table when she left. What a jerk.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

That is horrible Jenny. If I saw someone doing that I would personally say something to them. I do not think I would be able to hold it in.

I have to say that before I saw this policy being put in place at buffets I would not really think about the food I was taking. I usually would not leave over a ton of food anyway, but there might be times where if I thought about it I may have passed on getting more. Now that I have seen this policy though I think about it every time I am at a buffet. I take smaller portions and I do my best to finish every single thing on my plate every time.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:24 PM   #14
Executive Chef

If they want to act like a regular sit-down restaurant, then they should be one. That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. They should account for "waste" just like with everything else. What if I don't like what I'm eating, will they take it back? But it's completely ok for them to charge 100% over the cost of alcohol? Gimme a break.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
What if I don't like what I'm eating, will they take it back?
It is not incumbent upon a restaurant to take back a dish you do not like. Now if it was cooked wrong or poorly then that is a different story, but if you just don't like the taste of something then that is not the restaurants fault or responsibility.

The restaurants that have this policy (that I have seen) do not enforce it unless there is obvious major waste. If you pile your plate up 3 feet high and eat one thing off it and then go and get another plate and do the same thing then why should the restaurant pay for that? It would be the same as if you pulled up a trash can to the buffet and just started throwing things away.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #16
Executive Chef

OK, blatant plate loading would call for some action. But if someone is there nitpicking everyones plate to see how much is left over, it's ridiculous.

If they want to stop the waste, just form a line like a mess hall and let them serve you.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #17
Executive Chef

They should focus more on the dopes putting their fingers in there!

That's why I say clear of those places.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
OK, blatant plate loading would call for some action. But if someone is there nitpicking everyones plate to see how much is left over, it's ridiculous.

If they want to stop the waste, just form a line like a mess hall and let them serve you.
I have never seen a restaurant with this policy nitpick. Every one I have seen has had it in place for the blatant waste only.