"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-29-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Off to Paris. Shhh... It's a secret!

Some of you know I have been planning a suprise trip for wifey's 30th birthday. Tomorrow afternoon I will be wisking here away to Paris, France for 4 days. She still has no idea what's going on. Reservations have been made at two of the finest restaurnts in town. I'll also be taking her to Moulin Rouge for the late show. Our hotel room has a direct view of the Eiffel Tower. Also, I have a friend that works for the Louvre (sp) and she has promised us a behind the scenes tour.

As far as her work goes... I have already talked to her boss and he's totally cool with the idea. Darla's mom will be watching Christopher and my dad is watching the dog. My rentals are covered for the weekend. Yesterday I picked up a bottle of Dom for the helicopter ride to O'Hare. My bag is packed and Christophers bag is almost ready to go. Now all I have to do is pack her bag tomorrow after she leaves for work for the day.

The only thing I am having a problem with is figuring out a way to get her home from work early. She needs to be home around 2:00 since our flight leaves at 6:00. I thought about calling her and telling her there is a problem with the house like a water pipe burst in the basement and I can't get the water shut off or maybe a wall in the house has collapsed or something. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-29-2005, 11:32 AM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I hope you have a great trip Home chef! Your wife is a very lucky lady! Sorry that I can't think of any tricks to get her home early though. The water pipe bursting sounds like a good idea. Or, you could call her & tell her you've locked yourself out & need her to come home to let you in.

Old 11-29-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I already thought about the locked out of the house deal. Problem is too many people near me have keys to my house. It's about a 45 minute commute from Darla's work to the house. The reason has to be solid or else she will say "Well, you deal with it then and I will be home later tonight."
Old 11-29-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Master Chef

Please let me know if you need another wife.

A surprise trip to Paris is basically a dream come true!

I'm not sure about that water excuse because even I know how to shut off my water main and if you can't get it shut what is she supposed to do? I'd tell you to call the plumber ....

Could a neighbor call her and make something up? If I were her, I might think something is fishy if you called .... and if I were you, I would probably laugh during the call.

Something not too scary but urgent nevertheless??
Old 11-29-2005, 11:44 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Wow she's lucky. crewsk's idea sounds great and mention that you need the loo urgently! Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:53 AM   #6
Senior Cook

My tought about the water thing was to have her come home and help salvage all the stuff in the basement. We have a HUGE basement and in the storage area we have a lot of important stuff on the floor.

And Jenny, I live in Indiana, not Nevada. Poligamy isn't legal here Although I would certainly take you up on the offer if you'd like to meet us in Vegas for a long weekend LOL.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:56 AM   #7
Master Chef

OK, since locking yourself out of the house won't work, how about locking your keys in the car?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:03 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

tell her you threw out your back trying to reach something behind the toilet in the bathroom, and can't get up. you are in such an embarrasing position, that you don't want to call anyone else to help you to the hospital. really act it up like you are hurt, and i'll bet she'll come running.

and btw, good luck on your trip.

(and who knew jennyema was a mormon?)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 12:13 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Buckytom... You and I need to get together and go bowling! That idea is way too funny to work.

Keys in the car doesn't work either since I can have OnStar open the doors for me.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:16 PM   #10
Master Chef

Dang, technology today makes things so much harder!