Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only access DC and another forum I love with IE!!! My stupid bloody firefox browser won't let me open them!! ARGH! I have done everything I can think of to fix this, deleting cookies, uninstalling, reinstalling, sending frantic messages for help to the all and sundry, but to no avail. I'm FRUSTRATED! And I have to go to work in an hour. PHOOEY!!!!

Ah. I feel some better now. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Alix, we were having so many problems with ours slowing down and refusing to go into places we knew we'd gone before. Dgs came out and took a whole bunch of stuff off that had sneaked up on us. It had almost gotten as slow as dial up. Now we just whiz thru. I hope yours turns out as well.

The reason I'm so frustrated is that this is a brand new computer. It works fine everywhere else, just not the place I want most to be!! And now IE is acting up on me. It keeps jumping all over the place and I have to log off and log back on...ARGH!

Alix, the place that you want the computer to be - is there anything magnetic or any heaters that are right by the computer? These can make it operate very strangely or not at all. Also, are you using a wireless network to access the internet? I mean is the internet connection and network hub (wireless antenna unit) too far away for its useful frequency? I hope I am not throwing out too many technical terms. We co-owned an internet and computer business for ten years and I played "help desk" a lot!

All I know is that when our computer slows down to a snail's crawl we pull the plug out and put it back in and for some reason that kicks it back into downloading again.....of course we're not in the western hemisphere either.....but I can certainly relate to your frustration and I doubt if our method would work for you at all........

The reason I'm so frustrated is that this is a brand new computer. It works fine everywhere else, just not the place I want most to be!! And now IE is acting up on me. It keeps jumping all over the place and I have to log off and log back on...ARGH!
Alix, I don't know exactly what the problem is but here's a few suggestions:
Since it's a new computer, are you running Vista and you weren't before? This could be an issue which might make you need to change some of your security settings to have things run like before. I use Firefox on my laptop which has Vista so I know you can do it. Have you updated Vista with the new service pack that just came out? If not, I would do that. Second, what virus protection are you running? Is it a new one that came with your new computer? Is it different than what you were running? I use AVG, which is free and set to update daily. It works great. Do you have Spy-Bot installed and have you recently updated it? That is another free program that I highly recommend. Finally, if you do all of that and it's still a little quirky, you might try uninstalling Firefox and then re-installing it. HTH

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm happy for all of them.

Lets see...no wireless, no heater, no magnets around the computer. Some pet hair, but I'm kind of meticulous about blowing that out of the tower.

I use XP, I purposely bought a system with XP because I'm not impressed with Vista. So, all updates are done, and I use AVG and love it.

Nothing changed from one day to the next except I couldn't get DC to load anymore. Its really bizarre. I went and checked the histories of my kids etc, nothing. Checked system restore points etc, nothing. Its completely random. And of course its the sites I particularly want to access that it is doing it to!!

The part that frustrates me more is that IE is very finicky about navigating the site. If I try to go to a new page I have to hold my mouth just right when I click on the page # or it won't go and I get Server not found messages. So I have to click out and start all over. ARGH!!! I am persevering though.

Open up your AVG, make sure to check for updates first, then run it thoroughly thru every file, folder, drive, etc. Also make sure to run anti-spy ware as well. Look for worms, virus', etc.
With Firefox and IE, make sure to clean out everything, not just cookies but web files, passwords, etc. Clean it all out. Then re-set both to their default settings. Also, check to see if your Java has been updated lately. If it has, go to the Java web site and try and re-download their latest version and run it again.
Same goes with any other web based application that downloads and works on IE or Firefox, sometimes an improper update of them will cause these problems. If need be you can just disable all add-ons in IE and Firefox and see if that works.

I run Norton 360 with XP and when it updates, I have to reallow DC to be accessed. I did a Java update the other day and an IE update yesterday and have now lost my Norton toolbar, although it says it is there. Playtime for me too I guess, although I can live without a toolbar. Might miss the little green world icon though...

My dishwasher broke, I'm cooking and washing for 5 people BY HAND!!!!!!!!
If i put my hands in water 1 more time they will shrivel and float off into the sunset like dust in the wind.

yeah like i need her to hang on me some more. I'm going to call it my alone time....

Okay, I can't take it anymore!!! I need to know the story of Lego Girl. I mean I think I have an idea that she snorted one up her nose, but she seems to be famous in DC circles!

How the hech does a 15 yr old inhale a nickel??? You mean this doesn't end???

Thanks for the well wishes, I hope you are feeling better this week.

To put your mind at ease, I don't think this is a trait with 15 year olds. She was trying to prove she had the biggest nostrels in the world and....well, I guess she succeeded. She also succeeded in getting the entire volunteer fire department (of which her Dad was a member) and 2 ambulances to come to her house. Needless to say that after surgery to remove it, a week hospital stay followed by 2 weeks of being grounded after she was all better, scared us all into not playing with money!

Thanks, I am feeling a little better after seeing the doctor and accepting that my knee is NOT going to improve (osteoarthritis has settled in and is progressing at a fast rate) and so I can now work my life around the mobility I have. I may end up with a replacement knee, but won't know for sure until we go back next week. And then it is usually at least a year waiting list. As for my catering business, "rent a daughter" has come home (though is not living with us at the moment) and will be a big help doing the heavy stuff while I organize and do the cake decorating from a seated position. While physically I am struggling, I am 100 per cent better emotionally.

Oh, and BuckyTom, if you are reading this, I am making sure I get my seaweed and raw seed intake each day. Found out a new one today - a cup of boiling water with 2 tablespoons unpasturized honey and 1 teaspoon cinnamon twice daily!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom