"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #3281
Senior Cook

Did they tell you why you couldn't do it, anyway? I remember I went with my school very young and learnt about chameleons. I was amazed! Although lately I've learnt they don't change colour to match their background... but that's off topic

Old 08-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #3282
Traveling Welcome Wagon

They just kept saying that the kids could go on their own time. I'm sure they knew as well as I did that most of them didn't. Some of the kids wanted to go but no one took them. I think the teachers just wanted to do more exciting trips. Personally, that would have been exciting to me.

Barbara

Old 08-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #3283
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
It did. I allowed the kids to take books from the classroom library home to read (I bought many of them myself), and I let them take things like glue or crayons home if they needed to work on a project. I also often gave the kids things like 8-packs of colored pencils for Christmas.

Barbara
P.S. I also gave a prize to everyone who showed me a library card the first month of school (it had to be their own), and I tried constantly to convince the other teachers that we should take a field trip to the library, but I was always shot down.
You are too kind Barb. I admire your compassion.

Well today I finally got ahold of the lady I met at WalMart asking for help for her son. I couldn't offer her a job to clean my house but did offer her some of my kids' school supplies that they didn't use last year. I also offered her some of my son's used clothes. She told me she hadn't been able to get him anything school supplies yet and on top, her boy needs a band shirt. Argh! With our tight budget now-a-days, I couldn't offer her money to get the shirt. She was glad to hear from me though and we're going to meet on Monday so I could give her the hand-me-downs.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:55 PM   #3284
Head Chef

Where I teach there is a large population of children from other countries with parents that do not speak English let alone read it. School is not a priority to some/most. It is used more as a daycare system. Some students have huge gaps in their education due to language. 2nd grade reading level is not uncommon for a 6th grade student. I work hard to teach, inspire and help them to develop of love of reading. It is my job. Sad but not all children have parents that support them in their studies. One of the things that bugs me is when a teacher requires work done on a computer. They have an easy answer which is to go to the public library. Not a simple solution since many have parents that don't drive, they live in the public housing across town. I see them shrink when the class is asked to raise their hand if they have a computer. This happened this past week in one of their specials (wood shop) and it broke my heart. Their homework was to search the computer for models of wooden cars. I will remain in school after hours to allow those who don't have one to use mine. Our school system does not provide computers for students. I may just have to intervene and allow them to use magazine pictures. Hate to step on a co-worker's toes but sometimes they just don't get it. Okay I just rambled on and on! Sorry.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:04 PM   #3285
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
You are too kind Barb. I admire your compassion.

Well today I finally got ahold of the lady I met at WalMart asking for help for her son. I couldn't offer her a job to clean my house but did offer her some of my kids' school supplies that they didn't use last year. I also offered her some of my son's used clothes. She told me she hadn't been able to get him anything school supplies yet and on top, her boy needs a band shirt. Argh! With our tight budget now-a-days, I couldn't offer her money to get the shirt. She was glad to hear from me though and we're going to meet on Monday so I could give her the hand-me-downs.
that's so kind of you, dina!!
Old 08-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #3286
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
Where I teach there is a large population of children from other countries with parents that do not speak English let alone read it. School is not a priority to some/most. It is used more as a daycare system. Some students have huge gaps in their education due to language. 2nd grade reading level is not uncommon for a 6th grade student. I work hard to teach, inspire and help them to develop of love of reading. It is my job. Sad but not all children have parents that support them in their studies. One of the things that bugs me is when a teacher requires work done on a computer. They have an easy answer which is to go to the public library. Not a simple solution since many have parents that don't drive, they live in the public housing across town. I see them shrink when the class is asked to raise their hand if they have a computer. This happened this past week in one of their specials (wood shop) and it broke my heart. Their homework was to search the computer for models of wooden cars. I will remain in school after hours to allow those who don't have one to use mine. Our school system does not provide computers for students. I may just have to intervene and allow them to use magazine pictures. Hate to step on a co-worker's toes but sometimes they just don't get it. Okay I just rambled on and on! Sorry.
Elaine,
Does your school have some sort of fundraisers to purchase stuff for the students? I know our school districts do a lot of those in order to get equipment for the students.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #3287
Certified Cake Maniac

Wow, I have been out of touch on this thread for awhile. Barb, Dina and Elaine, I admire all of you for what you are doing to help the students.

My husband had his own computer sales/repair business for many years and would collect older computers from his clients who bought new ones from him. Then he would fix up the old ones and give them to families who needed them but couldn't afford one. We also used to let our neighbour's kids do their homework on one of ours (we also had an internet hosting business in our home and had an office with four computer stations in it).

Dina, I know you want to help this woman more than you can, but know that no matter how little it seems you can do, it is a lot more than others would and more than she had. I am sure she is very greatful for any help.

As for library tours, I remember being taken on a field trip to the big library in Vancouver (we lived in a small suburb) and thinking it was an amazing place. Of course that was many eons ago. We just had a new high school built in our neighbourhood that doesn't even have a library, only a computer room where students can do their homework but most of the kids admit they use it more to chat online and it goes unnoticed.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 PM   #3288
Certified Cake Maniac

Hmm, I guess it is good news that this thread has been idle for a few days. Unfortunately I have to break that tonight. I just got back from the doctor....via a stop at the IV department of the hospital where I will be visiting every day at 7 am and 7 pm for the next 7 to 10 days. It seems I have a staff infection in my surgery site and they are worried that it may travel to the prosthetic joint which could cause rejection. We are not in panic mode yet because I have been on heavy anti-biotics for the past 7 days, but this means a lot of travelling and also sets back my physio and rehab back quite a bit. I was doing so well and all of a sudden started getting chills, fevers, throwing up and severe pain. I know it will all work out but I guess because of the way I am feeling I am taking it harder than normal. I just wanted this whole process to go so smoothly.

http://beinglydia.com
Old 09-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #3289
Executive Chef

Oh Laurie,
My prayers go out to you. I hope you get rid of the infection and begin feeling better soon.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:59 PM   #3290
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Hmm, I guess it is good news that this thread has been idle for a few days. Unfortunately I have to break that tonight. I just got back from the doctor....via a stop at the IV department of the hospital where I will be visiting every day at 7 am and 7 pm for the next 7 to 10 days. It seems I have a staff infection in my surgery site and they are worried that it may travel to the prosthetic joint which could cause rejection. We are not in panic mode yet because I have been on heavy anti-biotics for the past 7 days, but this means a lot of travelling and also sets back my physio and rehab back quite a bit. I was doing so well and all of a sudden started getting chills, fevers, throwing up and severe pain. I know it will all work out but I guess because of the way I am feeling I am taking it harder than normal. I just wanted this whole process to go so smoothly.
LP i am so sorry to hear this. keep your chin up and hope along with me, that you recover completely in a short amount of time. babe