Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Barbara L said:
Do their parents know they are doing these things? You might want to say something to them, unless you think it will just lead to something more harmful than fruit or ducks (that's awful). Thank goodness they are moving.

:mad: Barbara

Put them in a box....not the kids :LOL: but the surprises they are leaving ......cover it with pretty wrapping papper and put a bow on it and leave it on their doorstep ;)

corazon90 said:
I came home today to find rotten bananas and little oranges that had been thrown at our house. Dumb neighbor kids. Do I accuse them and ask to have it cleaned up? They're gonna be moving in a few days. Last week, it was a dead duck. :mad:

it sounds like you live next to warner bros. or hanna-barbera, cora.

i'd march right over and ask them. if they deny, tell them you have a hidden video camera set up so if they know who did it, they better tell them that they'll be caught.

it'll be over soon enough, so hang in there. and try to be home the day they're leaving, maybe raking the yard or something.

gw, the best way to set up a dual boot drive is to get a program called partition magic. it'll walk you through the process of setting up the partitions and boot sectors so you can run another os.

an easier way to do it is with a sled and mutilple bootable hard drives.

lemme know if this is the way you're gonna go.

you could also contact deadly sushi, who is a computer guru. he may not have seen your whining, er, query. :) good luck.

Dual Boot - Win98 and XP

Goodweed of the North said:
My gripe is simple. My OS is old. I'm still running Windows 98. The problem is that I just got an external DVD burner for Christmas, a very nice one that will burn double-sided DVD's up to 8.5 Gig. But my OS doesn't support it. I'm going to have to upgrade to Windows 2000 at the very least, but probably will upgrade to Windows XP Pro. The problem with this is that Windows 98 is DOS based, which allows me to run the interface program for communicating with the Phone Systems at work...I won't be able to do that when I upgrade as the interface program requires a DOS-based OS and from Windows 2000 up, the OS is no longer DOS based.

I've been told that I can set up my hard drive in partitions and operate a dual boot, one using Windows 98, and the other using the upgraded OS...

hi Goodweed,

For your windows OS upgrade, chose XP over Win2000, since it will be supported longer by Microsoft and new hardware (like your DVD burner) may not work with Win2000.

First thing to do is check whether your computer can run XP. You may need to upgrade your hardware but check whether your current computer can be upgraded if necessary. Some old computers can't be effectively upgraded or you may find it is not cost effective to do so.

If you've checked and know that your computer can run XP and if your computer has the space inside for a 2nd hard drive, you might want to consider buying and installing a 2nd drive and installing XP to that drive. You would not need Partition Magic if you do this. However, be sure to get a hard drive that is compatible with your computer.

If you upgrade, check with your employer's tech support whether their interface software can be run from within XP's "command" window or with DOS emulation software under XP. If the answer is yes, you may not need to keep Win98 on your machine.

Apologies if you already know this stuff. However, I've been using computers since the early DOS days, have used Partition Magic many times and currently have 2 computers, each dual boot. If you want, please feel free to PM me on this issue. - SF

Neighbors

corazon90 said:
I came home today to find rotten bananas and little oranges that had been thrown at our house. Dumb neighbor kids. Do I accuse them and ask to have it cleaned up? They're gonna be moving in a few days. Last week, it was a dead duck. :mad:

How in the world did you get them to move? I am having this kind of trouble for years and no matter how hard I try to 'love' them I can't. Just last month their son (28 years old) threw roofing nails on our driveway. We all had to get tires repaired or I had to buy new one, couldn't be repaired. How do I know this? No one else had roofing nails in their tires and they were on our driveway! Even the grandparents do things purposely to try to antagonize us. If the parents are the example what do you expect the kids to be. They have been living here long time. I am sure you have read many of my 'vents' about them. She is one lady who is spoiled from her parents and her husband that doesn't realize what work is. Sorry if I hijacked a thread or something. Just can't believe that you will get relieved of this problem. There is a light at the end of your storm. Good for you..

SizzlininIN said:
Put them in a box....not the kids :LOL: but the surprises they are leaving ......cover it with pretty wrapping papper and put a bow on it and leave it on their doorstep ;)
I almost said the same thing! Only I was going to add that she should hand it to the boys as they were driving away for the last time--a going away present. LOL Of course then it would turn out that they weren't the ones who did it and would always wonder why those strange people did that to them! :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

:) Barbara

OK! IM REALLLLLLLLY not upset. Just bugged.
Can we PLEASEEEE change the name of this thread? Venting is just not covering what the topic is about. New folks MIGHT not get it.
Can we change it to something that reflects what this thread is about?
Like:
I Cant Believe This!
or
The Cruel Life
or
How was YOUR day?
or
Can You Say Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr?!
or
Venting
:rolleyes:

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Can we PLEASEEEE change the name of this thread? Venting is just not covering what the topic is about. New folks MIGHT not get it.
Like:
I Cant Believe This!
or
The Cruel Life
or
How was YOUR day?
or
or
Venting
:rolleyes:
Goof! Glad you had the chance to "vent"!

:) Barbara

SizzlininIN said:

I gotta tell y'all this. When I was bartending, I lived in an apt so of course there was no yard. My friend was going to bury my old beloved cat in his back yard and I didn't want to carry a dead cat to work so I put it in a 12"x12"x4" box and wrapped it up. I had it in the walk in until I got off work. My friend was still at the bar so I gave it to him since he was leaving in about 15 minutes.

He went to the restroom and someone stole that box. We always wondered what they did when they opened it up and discovered a dead cat.

Did they think we were into voodoo or some obsure religion? Did they think it was a trap? We still call each other and laugh about it. :ROFLMAO:

Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Like:
I Cant Believe This!
or
The Cruel Life
or
How was YOUR day?
or
or
Venting

Sush, Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, I can't believe this! Was life cruel to you today? Vent away. I don't want you to get buggy.:LOL:

Things were sorted out. Ryan confronted the teenage boy, who was responsible for the duck, they got in an arguement but he came over with a huge box of chocolates that evening and apologized.

There is a uhaul in their driveway. And itk, we didn't force them out. The couple is getting divorced and the gal is moving out with all her kids.

YaHoo! It will be over soon. The boys may have been acting out because of their parent's behavior. It is certainly no excuse but it man be an explanation.

Divorce is hard on everyone.

btw, the chocolates were a nice thing to do.

i would chuck the chocolates at their house. :cool:

they're not too bright arming the enemy, if you ask me.

Solution

corazon90 said:
Things were sorted out. Ryan confronted the teenage boy, who was responsible for the duck, they got in an arguement but he came over with a huge box of chocolates that evening and apologized.

There is a uhaul in their driveway. And itk, we didn't force them out. The couple is getting divorced and the gal is moving out with all her kids.

I am sorry if you think I implied that I thought you 'forced' them out. I have neighbors that are real nightmares and there is no sort of mental problems w/them like divorce. I surely would understand if someone were getting divorce. My neighbors enjoy tormenting others as some sort of game. Some people abuse animals, they try to upset the neighbors. No matter how hard we try to ignore them, they still continue. I don't know if we move if that would resolve the problem or not. May move to someone worse.

At least you are aware of the reason for this treatment. Divorce is like a death maybe worse. My aunt once told me at least her husband died. My husband is still alive. She t hought death was end of torment.

In the Kitchen said:
I am sorry if you think I implied that I thought you 'forced' them out. I have neighbors that are real nightmares and there is no sort of mental problems w/them like divorce. I surely would understand if someone were getting divorce. My neighbors enjoy tormenting others as some sort of game. Some people abuse animals, they try to upset the neighbors. No matter how hard we try to ignore them, they still continue. I don't know if we move if that would resolve the problem or not. May move to someone worse.

At least you are aware of the reason for this treatment. Divorce is like a death maybe worse. My aunt once told me at least her husband died. My husband is still alive. She t hought death was end of torment.
Not at all, itk, I know you didn't imply 'force', I just didn't know how else to explain it.
This couple has been married for 2 years and her 3 kids are from 3 different marriages. They aren't his kids but I can't imagine being a kid and having my mother getting married and divorced 4 times by the time she was 40. Kinda crazy. As far as I know, the guy is moving back in today.

Soaps

corazon90 said:
Not at all, itk, I know you didn't imply 'force', I just didn't know how else to explain it.
This couple has been married for 2 years and her 3 kids are from 3 different marriages. They aren't his kids but I can't imagine being a kid and having my mother getting married and divorced 4 times by the time she was 40. Kinda crazy. As far as I know, the guy is moving back in today.

It's like watching soap opera only 'live'. My cousin sent me Christmas card and told me she now has 4 new grandchildren. Her youngest son married woman who had 3 children and he married this lady who was pregnant with his child or so she thinks? She said they would have an interest ing Christmas with all these new children. I truly hope th is marriage works for the children's sake. My cousin and her husband would be wonderful examples for them to look up to. However, if she is not even 30 years old! We are still trying to accept the fact that he married someone with this many children. It is his first marriage. I doubt if he really knows what to expect. Much less what his food bills will be! Shock to everyone.

OH my word, In the Kitchen. We can only pray for the best. He sounds like a saint and I wish him the best and all the happiness in the world.

OK this is sort of a Vent, but more just sadness. The venting part of things is that I have entertained for dinner 6 out of 8 nights this last week. ARGH! I had Christmas day off, and yesterday off. Tonight I will be entertaining again. I'm running out of ideas (and food!) my grocery budget is shot all to h*ll, and I have used some of my Christmas money to supplement our groceries. Yeesh.

OK, having said that, I don't really mind having folks over, I'm just a bit worn out. The folks we are feeding tonight just lost a Mom on Friday afternoon and its just very sad. It wasn't unexpected, but its just still so sad and feels unfair. I'm going to make soup tonight and serve with bread and hope that will do. We'll take them to our usual neighbour's party for a bit then bring them back here. The saddest part is that tonight is their anniversary. Married 18 years. I don't think they are going to feel very celebratory this year. My heart just aches for them.

Alix,
of course your worn out, many of us are at this time of the year. But what you are doing is such an unselfish thing..Bless you for it. Having friends who are sad at a time like this and just having them come for something comforting like a nice warm soup and bread that's perfect. They won't feel it's to fancy but feel that wramth that you only get in a loving home..This way their minds have a chance to get away from the sorrow for a little while and give them a much needed break. When we lose a loved one the last thing we want to do is to cook..If someone does it for us and set's it before us we eat, we might not want to, but we do and in the end it helps.
You are truly a friend that anyone would be proud to have.
kadesma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom