Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love oak. My sister carves walking sticks. They aren't decorated (painted, etc.) but are beautiful in their curves and lines. Sometimes adding decoration to things is too much (like a little curio cabinet James got me--he thought I might want to paint decorations on it, but it is perfect the way it is).

As far as the rubber thing--I guess it is best to be practical, but maybe you could find a replacement that matches the color or something.

:)Barbara

:mad:My walking partner has gone NUTS!!! She's a size 0, has 13% of body fat and she feels she needs to lose MORE weight. I told her we were burning about 500 calories in our morning walks of 1.5 hours and she said it wasn't enough. She may very well be on an 800 calorie diet. Argh! She's weighing herself 6 times daily and I find it crazy, almost mental. I want to help her and try to explain how our bodies work (especially at 40) but she doesn't seem to understand. It must be terrible to live obsessed that way.

:mad:My walking partner has gone NUTS!!! She's a size 0, has 13% of body fat and she feels she needs to lose MORE weight. I told her we were burning about 500 calories in our morning walks of 1.5 hours and she said it wasn't enough. She may very well be on an 800 calorie diet. Argh! She's weighing herself 6 times daily and I find it crazy, almost mental. I want to help her and try to explain how our bodies work (especially at 40) but she doesn't seem to understand. It must be terrible to live obsessed that way.

Well, I'm really sorry to hear that about your walking partner.........are you sure she's not anorexic or bulimic???---not that there's much you can do about that if you're only a walking companion but you can be a listening ear....if you continue to walk with her keep an eye on her and be sure that you have your cell phone with you at all times......sorry to hear that she feels repulsed by her own body.......and you're right.......it's an obsession that just takes over their whole lives and way of thinking......maybe she'll confide in you.........good luck

Dina,
do keep an eye open..There isn't anything you can do believe me..I had medicine induced anorexia and there was nothing anyone could do...I'd been so unhappy trying to lose weight that when this med completely took away my appetite I was thrilled,shopping became so much fun as I at first watched the weight just melt away...I ended up weighing 90 lbs and to this day cannot remember my daughters wedding..I have to watch the video...The point is you can't help yourself and resent anyone who tries to help you..The med was taken off the market and I was put on something else for my diabetes, but it took me years to get my weight up to 110 but now I am aware of things thank the lord..JUst stand by your friend,and pray a lot..
kades

Yes Expat and Kades. I will keep a lookout for her. I got really worried when she told me she'd gone to a surgeon to see if she could have liposuction. My mouth dropped! The doctor, of course, told her she had no fat to take out. When she mentions what a beautiful figure her 14 year old daughter has, I reiterate how attractive muscle looks on a woman (hoping she will eat a bit more to build lean muscle). She insists that she's a cup C but it looks more like an A to me, honestly. The other worry is that she's got her daugther all wrapped up on this diet, count-every-single calorie craziness.

When I dropped to 146 pounds (I'm 5'6" tall) to a size 8, she thought I looked great. When I mentioned that I was a size 8, she was mortified! She could not believe that a person can look good in a size 8. Geez! I'm really worried about her.

if you want to, message me. your buddy has an eating or exercise problem, from my view. anorexia is very, very stubborn. eventually maybe she'll fall into treatment. ((((((hugs)))))))

ugh, i sound so negative. i mean, they aren't easy to fix, eating disorders. i understand your concern.

Glad that you're going to be on the lookout, Dina...........liposuction? OMG! My niece admitted to me about 5 years ago that she had been bulimic (actually I'm not sure that she's really over it as she never received therapy but she does look fine and had a healthy pregnancy) but she confided in me that she feared that she would end up looking like her parents and brother (who could stand to lose about 40 lbs each) and she went into the health/exercise field (which is what many anorexics/bulimics do or ballet or gymnastics, etc)........I read somewhere and I'm NOT quoting it as gospel by any means as there a many contributory factors involved but it sure makes sense in my niece's case---that is, some come from very controlling people that they look up to.......my sister a control freak? Nah............well, that's another off thread topic to discuss.........anyway, they feel like that is one area that they are in control of.......their bodies........well, you sound like a great friend to be so concerned.....I'll walk with you :):) Hope that she does better...........

healthy pregnancies mean nothing , & most bulimicics 'er either normal or overweight, while few 'er severely underweight.
my buddy got pregnant twice & at under 90 pounds with her new baby barely over 100 with her deliveries.

luvs, this is why I'm still concerned about my niece........as gently as I could I probed her for details and she admitted that she never has gotten counseling........the only reason her mother (my "sister") found out was because she discovered her in the act.........of course Miss Control Freak gave her the riot act but didn't seek counseling for her.......yep, a real piece of work and probably in denial.......and gave her more of a reason.......

Shocked

Just ret urned to class after 3 months and gal there has lost 120lbs. since last September. She is attending class and walking between 5-10 MILES a day! do you think someone can do this?! She looks outstanding and doesn't look like the same person. Can someone overdo exercise? She is great person and I feel that fact that her 5 year old granddaughter has brain cancer that is inoperable has a whole lot to do with this. Some kind of internal stress can drive one to do things normally cannot even talk about. The whole scenario breaks my heart. This just seems lot of weight in one year. She tells me she is under doctor's care and has stopped taking most of the medication 8 bottles down to 2. Life! Each day is struggle around here. Except the one brother I take care of he claims he is accepting what he is given. Claims he likes it under his 'rock'.

Have safe day!

Oh, my heart goes out to the 5 year old granddaughter. Prayers go out to your niece also Expat. I feel that as long as we keep a close lookout and seek professional help for our loved ones, wheather it's a family or friends, they are very well on their way to recovery.

The heartache is this grandmother wears t-shirts when she is in class with picture and asking for prayer for this beautiful little girl. Surely a reminder how blessed we are to have the life we do. As you say, only 5 years old!

Really quite a minor vent in light of all the stuff posted lately.

I am sick to bloody death of people trying to ram information down my throat and telling me I'd better like it. I'm put in mind of Chuck Norris saying, "If I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you."

I really don't care for people telling me how wonderful and talented and amazing they are. And I really don't care to feel bullied. Thats not a word I use lightly either.

One of the things I prize most about this place is the fact that we all treat each other with respect and its a haven, a place I want to come to. I like to come to see what everyone is doing, and I feel like we are a family here. Thank you to all of you who share your lives with me every day. I cherish you all. And thanks for listening to my very minor vent. I know it was petty, but I needed to get it out before it festered anymore.

A vent is a vent, no need for apologies! That is why this thread was started right? To get things off your chest.....if it was bothering you then it was not too minor! :)

That would be awesome if you did say that quote to the "bully" :LOL:

Deelady, I started this thread way back when because I frequently need to just get it off my chest. Thankfully, there is always someone here to listen.

And as for the bully, well, yes I have said my piece. I've tried to be awfully polite about it too. I really want to say some rude and nasty things, but have decided that would just make ME look bad so I'll stick with what I've said and continue on my merry way.

Honestly though, it really does get me bent out of shape to have folks treat me (and everyone really) like we ought to be kneeling at the feet of greatness.

Thanks for letting me get that little bit of snottiness out of my system. I'm done now.

Really quite a minor vent in light of all the stuff posted lately.

I am sick to bloody death of people trying to ram information down my throat and telling me I'd better like it. I'm put in mind of Chuck Norris saying, "If I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you."

I really don't care for people telling me how wonderful and talented and amazing they are. And I really don't care to feel bullied. Thats not a word I use lightly either.

One of the things I prize most about this place is the fact that we all treat each other with respect and its a haven, a place I want to come to. I like to come to see what everyone is doing, and I feel like we are a family here. Thank you to all of you who share your lives with me every day. I cherish you all. And thanks for listening to my very minor vent. I know it was petty, but I needed to get it out before it festered anymore.

Alix my dad had a similar expression,"If I wanted to hear what you had to say I'd kick it out of you" I too love it here, especially the helpful, kind members who really care and try their very best to help..When someone tries to "lord" it over me, I get a tad snippy feeling. I can think for myself, I can tie my own shoes without a diagram.And I know you can do the same, without me talking and talking about it to you. I try to always think what other will think about the answers I give and how it will affect their feelings.. When I offer an opinion, it's never one written in stone,it's usually something I've expeirenced and care to share..If ever anyone feels I've hurt their feeling please let me know and I will apologize right now...Alix, if I have ever hurt you in any way..I am deeply sorry..I consider you a dear kind friend.

kades

I know only TOO WELL exactly what you are saying....I have about well...all my coworkers who are that way! It felt wonderful giving my two week notice in knowing that soon they will be in a crunch and hating life....oopps did I say that!:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom