"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 PM   #11
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to mikki
Katie--- If your insurance denies coverage for the emergency plane you can eppeal their decision and they will listen to the circumstances and then decide. Also Please contact the hospitals and see if they have any foundations that help low income people pay their bills. Alot of hospitals have them but you have to ask, they won't tell you about them unless you ask.
Another thing I know the hospital in our area, even if your sending then 5$ a week it will still go to a collection agency after 90 days. Then all arrangements have to be made through them.

mikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:15 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I'm so sorry you have to deal with all this junk Katie. Know that I continue to pray for you.

Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
Head Chef
Dear Katie E, Please see a decent attorney about your financial situation. Thngs eventually are written off through various means. Please don't delay eventhough you are burdened more than any of us can imagine.
David Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #14
Sous Chef
I agree with jabbur. If transport was made because of medical necessity, insurance will usually cover it.
simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:32 PM   #15
Master Chef
katie, i've oftern recieved hospital letters saying i owed. you can call & get that fixed. it may take calls to insurance, hospital, etcetra, though they'll send that to your insurance company.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:44 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Originally Posted by simplicity View Post
I agree with jabbur. If transport was made because of medical necessity, insurance will usually cover it.
Yes, it was due to medical necessity. None of the area hospitals were equipped to treat him, which is why the doctor sent him to Nashville.

As far as I can tell, the bill has been submitted to the insurance company. We'll see if it's paid...part or all. Only time will tell. I'm still in shock, though.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #17
Senior Cook
Katie,when my mother died I got some bills that looked scary, but in the end the insurance pulled though together with medicare - she had Blue Cross Blue Shield. My prayers are with you.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:41 PM   #18
Traveling Welcome Wagon
We're praying for you Katie. Check your PMs.

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #19
Head Chef
I agree with jabbur. If it was ordered by the doctor there should be no reason for the insurance to refuse to pay. I'll continue to be praying for you.
Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #20
Executive Chef
I'm so sorry about this Katie. You'll be receiving all sorts of bills, even after your insurance has paid. Depending upon what type of insurance you have, you may or may not be responsible for these. But that doesn't keep them from billing you. For example, HMOs and PPOs negotiate much lower rates for services and the hospitals, etc. are required to accept the lower rates in order to be a part of that "network". Legally, you are not required to pay the difference between the billed amount and the amount paid by the insurance company in those cases, but many people don't realize that. And providers routinely bill the patient for the difference because often, the patient will pay it since they don't know they don't have to. A call to your insurance company after they have paid will give you more information. Of course, if it is out of network, different rules may apply. Just don't be too quick to pay anything until the dust settles.

I know that probably rubs you the wrong way since I suspect you are someone who pays bills promptly and isn't used to having a creditor call - and they will call! But just screen your calls for a while and know that this may take up to 6 months before it's all settled.

Hang in there. It's awful, I know.

Fisher's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote