"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
And often times leftovers taste even better than the time they were prepared and served.
Like stews.

My mother was a child growing up during the depression also. They had a farm so food wasn't in short supply as much as other families in the neighborhood. She told me that so many times they would see a kid or even a grownup in their garden stealing a veggie of some kind. Her parents never tried to stop them as they understood. That is one reason they planted more than they needed or could use.

But they did move the chicken house and fenced yard closer to the home. And they put a lock on the chicken house door. That seemed to work along with the alarm raised by the family dog that slept right next to the hen house.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #12
Head Chef

I've been trying really hard to adjust my meals and recipes down to at least for two. The thought being I would have tomorrows' ready and sitting there as mostimes adjusting to one just doesn't work.

To divide it evenly (because I could never judge what was half going onto the plate and what was half left in the pot) I would dish out the 2nd plate right then and there, let it cool, and put in the fridge.

Rarely happens.. by 9 pm the 2nd plate has been gobbled up

On the few occasions it makes it overnight, I have it for breakfast, then make another full meal for that night's supper...

I've gained 30 pounds..

Old 09-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Excellent article. I loved the history of what folks thought about leftovers at different times, and why. When folks are poor their ain't no such a thing as leftovers. When they started having money leftovers weren't good enough. (we never has left overs when I was growing up).

I learned to cook because I had no choice. I never thought that I would come to enjoy it! It was either drive far and pay a lot for a good meal, eat crap, or learn to do it myself. I'm 65 and I've only been really cooking for 7 years. Is that not something?

I discovered the beauty of leftovers because I cook only for myself and always have them if I make a pot of anything. I was surprised that what I made was even better the next day and better than that the 3rd day. After 3 days it goes into the freezer.

I'm making Balsamic chicken in the crock pot for dinner. I won't eat it tonight though. I'll have a stuffed pepper instead. I know how much better the chicken dish will taste after it's flavors have melded for 24 hrs.

Leftovers Rule!
Old 09-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Pick a little parsley from the garden. One sprig. For a plate garnish. Here's another juicy looking stem. And another. O Look. Here's a full bouquet of parsley. I Am Incapable Of Cooking less than 4 servings.

I am pretty good, getting better at, re-purpose, change ups and combining ingredients for planned over meals. My initial dilemma is what to make in the first place. I think it's pretty easy to repeat the same or make into something else. Luckily I like leftovers.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I grew up with a grandmother, who starved due to a few years of bad harvest and the first world war, yes Sweden wants part of it and still people died due to it. Sweden didnt care about the people up North and hardly any aid came there. So my grandmother was amazing doing something out of nothing. Even after she became middle class house wife, she still kept up her style of cooking and money pinching.
My mum, who I also grew up with was horrible cook and well left overs meant torment most often but there are many Swedish recipes that are made with left overs and those she could do, so long as dad had made the dinner to start with. Yes, my father who I also grew up with was the chef and he is amazing man, he truly loved and cared for his mother in law, he used to bike home for work, just for having 15 min lunch with her when she got older. Yes, he spent 35 minutes of his lunch on bike. He learned how to cook from his father and a his fathers family, they where paper mill worker, they had enough not more and grandfather hunted and fished and was amazing with just getting the most of everything.

Even though my mum and dad children of times of plenty, yes they where born the same year WWII ended , grew up in a Sweden with a working industry in a war torn Europe. They had money, they had hope and still it became some for of pride taking care of left over and live green.

Left overs in Sweden is most often next day lunch, that is most workers have with them.

So with all of that in my culinary back pack, I use up all my left overs, lunch box to husband, lunch for me, made into new dinners.

And I never understood people who dont eat left overs, it same food as yesterday and if it was yummy then it will be great the day after. I even serve my guest left overs, with out them knowing.
Old 09-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks for the article, GG. I learned something from it.

Large batches of food intentionally prepared for freezing for future meals (pasta sauces, chili, etc.) are different from leftovers. That is, unless you plan to eat the same meal day after day after day until it's all gone.

To me, leftovers are less than a full meal amount of a dinner. In our home it usually ends up as lunch. More often than not, my lunch. Some recipes I prepare don't freeze well but are enough for a second meal so they get eaten a couple of days later.

I look at leftovers not from the economical perspective but from the perspective of a lazy person who gets a chance to avoid cooking a new meal for a night.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:51 PM   #17
Master Chef

Interesting article, GG. Thanks for sharing. I, too, am the progeny of Depression-era parents. Mom was so good at squeezing the buffalo that the poor critter pooped dimes. I had no choice but to absorb frugality in many areas of life, and for that I roundly thank Mom. (Thanks, Mom. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We live on leftovers. Even though we're only two, I have a tendency to cook for at least eight....
Seems there is more of that going around...:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
...On the other hand, I often make entire meals with the idea that I'll be enjoying leftovers for a few days. I like to think of it as a gift that keeps on giving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...I look at leftovers not from the economical perspective but from the perspective of a lazy person who gets a chance to avoid cooking a new meal for a night.
^This!!!^ Steve and Andy. I love to putter in the kitchen, relish making a from-scratch meal from all kinds of non-processed ingredients. BUT it is time-consuming. And tiring. Not always, but the last thing I want to do is "make dinner" when I've spent a considerable amount of the day running errands or doing loads and loads of laundry, or gardening...which I think of doing more often than actually do... But when I know one of those busy days is lurking down the calendar, I do plan having food left over so that I can skip cooking that day. Sometimes they are more lifesavers and less leftovers.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:19 PM   #18
Head Chef

Interesting article GG. Thanks.

In this house there is no such thing as leftovers.

Some way, Some how it's going to be used.

Some meals are prepared with future use of items planed for future meals.

If not planed they will alter what's fixed in the future until they are consumed.

I was raised with the waste not want not philosophy.

But in our house of 3 hungry boys and 1 girl we usually finished it all and looked for more.
Not to mention my father was no slouch in the consumption department.

One night there was one pork chop left on the serving platter.
The lights went out.
When they came back on there were 5 forks stuck in the back of my fathers hand.

Re thinking it my original statement isn't true.
I do find some condiments and such that have stayed too long in the fridge for me to trust them. (Especially if they are green and fuzzy.)
They are leftover but I view them more as waste.
And I hate waste.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:54 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post

One night there was one pork chop left on the serving platter.
The lights went out.
When they came back on there were 5 forks stuck in the back of my fathers hand.
Oh, hey! I just read that one in a book, except it was Chinese women and chopsticks trying to get one leftover dumpling!

Shopping and cooking for one, I don't think I've ever cooked a single meal that didn't have leftovers of some kind. I sort of like it. If I make meatloaf, for instance, I know the night I take the leftovers out of the freezer I'm not going to have to cook. All I do is put the meatloaf in some foil and heat it up.

It's a pain when I shop though. I have to cut up and freeze the meat in separate bags, so I'll end up with 4 bags of hamburger, 5 bags of chicken legs, 2 bags of pork roast, etc. It's the one thing I just hate doing and I don't know why. And I'm still not separating meat into separate portions. Each time I do a pork roast, for instance, I'm still making enough for 2 or 3 meals.

So I don't look on leftovers as leftovers - to me, they're just another meal.

I forgot to add, since I get food stamps, every penny for food goes to food and the only times I've ever thrown anything out is when I've experimented with a meal and it ended up being inedible. Believe me, I don't do that often. I'll budget my food like some people budget money, like eating something cheap for a number of days so I can afford something more expensive. But whichever way I go, I know I need to have enough food to last me till the next month. So to me, throwing out any food is like a sin. It just isn't done except in extreme cases.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:48 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Each time I do a pork roast, for instance, I'm still making enough for 2 or 3 meals.
A one-serving pork roast is a pork chop

Tags
leftovers