Online users ponderings..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I've been wondering about this for years...

Right this minute we have 1,161 users online including members, and non members.

Most users ever online was 29,468, 10-24-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Other than it being 4 days before Thanksgiving that year, can you guess why so many people were here to break a record at 4am on that day?:chef:

I've been wondering about this for years...

Right this minute we have 1,161 users online including members, and non members.

Other than it being 4 days before Thanksgiving that year, can you guess why so many people were here to break a record at 4am on that day?:chef:
I don't know but it was a month and four days before Thanksgiving... ;)

Could it have been a typo? Maybe Janet will see this.
The DC forum runs on vBulletin software, which is used by a lot of online forums. The "most users" is just a standard report.

It's a very misleading statistic. I'm an administrator for three online forums that run vBulletin software, and the one thing I can tell you is that there are a number of "bot" programs out on the internet that do nothing but crawl through forum postings to collect information. Most are sent out by the various search engines, such as Google and Bing. Each one of these gets recorded as a visit, even though it's not an actual person. At any given time, there can be thousands of these bots on the site.

The DC forum runs on vBulletin software, which is used by a lot of online forums. The "most users" is just a standard report.

It's a very misleading statistic. I'm an administrator for three online forums that run vBulletin software, and the one thing I can tell you is that there are a number of "bot" programs out on the internet that do nothing but crawl through forum postings to collect information. Most are sent out by the various search engines, such as Google and Bing. Each one of these gets recorded as a visit, even though it's not an actual person. At any given time, there can be thousands of these bots on the site.

Thanks for the explanation Steve. In other words, it's useless information for the membership. :huh:Too bad because I like the idea of guests.

Last edited:

Thanks for the explanation Steve. In other words, it's useless information for the membership. :huh:Too bad because I like the idea of guests.
Holy bot Batman!! We need a big A$$ can of Raid Bot Spray!!

kills_bots_dead.jpg

Good one, MsM!

Kay, I saw those stats too, and had also wondered about it. It seemed like such a random date and time for SO many to be viewing DC.

Thanks for the info, Steve. It makes the most sense, at least as far as my very limited knowledge of 'bots' go. :ermm: It doesn't seem like there can be any other explanation, other than an influx of bots that went haywire. :LOL:

Last edited:
Good one, MsM!

Kay, I saw those stats too, and had also wondered about it. It seemed like such a random date and time for SO many to be viewing DC.

Thanks for the info, Steve. It makes the most sense, at least as far as my very limited knowledge of 'bots' go. :ermm: It doesn't seem like there can be any other explanation, other than an influx of bots that went haywire. :LOL:
:angel::ROFLMAO: :LOL: Couldn't resist

The explanation makes perfect sense but I like to think of all those guests as food groupies that come to see what we've been up to in the kitchen and beyond! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom