"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-21-2007, 06:36 PM   #1
Head Chef

Our first snow

Today we got our first snow! It's beautiful! Normally our first snow is a little flurries. Not this year! We have accumulation with huge flakes and 2-4" expected. Perfect for Thanksgiving.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
Executive Chef

We are supposed to get snow tommorow night 4-8 inches above 7500 ft and 3-5 inches below we live right at 7500 ft.Cant wait its been soo dry.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I love the first snowfall when it's like that! We're expecting our first snow fall tonight. Anywhere fro 5 - 20 cm. With ice pellets and freezing rain thrown in. Can't wait for the drive to work tomorrow.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

We had our first snow of the season Tuesday morning. Less than an inch and it's gone today.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
It's snowed twice here,about 8 in. 1st time and about 3 in. the 2nd, already melted and it got to 62 degrees today, but a storm is headed our way early tomarrow with freezing rain then snow, glad I don't have to go anywhere, but DH will miss dinner because he plows snow for the state.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Head Chef

Oh, I forgot to add...in addition to being our first snow, we also have a snow advisory out until midnight. Everything is white! The grass is covered.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
Master Chef

Wow, I would love to see some snow. We got a cold front today finally. I didn't think it would feel like Thanksgiving. It was 74 this morning, when I went to town, 15 minutes away. By the time I got to the store, it dropped 12 degrees. It is now 43, windchill is 36. yes I know, nothing what you guys are getting up north, but, we're weenies down here when it get's cold. LOL
Old 11-21-2007, 10:15 PM   #8
Master Chef

Usually in Texas, we see our first icing... not snow. But like Texasgirl stated, it's nice to finally feel the cool air that you normally associate with the fall season and the holidays. Angie... I was hoping to see pics of your snow!!! Since we don't get much of our own, we have to admire yours!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #9
Master Chef

Sattie is right - we don't get a snow first where I live in TX - we get rain, that turns to freezing rain, which turns to sleet, then if we're lucky it turns to snow eventually. And, we're luck if it's cold enough on Thanksgiving Day for a fire in the fireplace. Our coldest days may not come until February or March!

When I lived in Golden, CO - Thanksgiving Day was always the coldest day of the year - and we always had plenty of snow. I had Lookout Mountain out me east kitchen windows, Zion Mountain out my west kitchen windows, and the South Table Mesa (I lived on the base of it) out my living room and bedroom windows. When I find my photo albums I'll try to post some pics ... I know there is one of my El Cheapo Brinkman smoker that I tried to smoke a turkey in one Thanksgiving ... surrounded by 18-inches of snow .... and no, I would not suggest trying to smoking a turkey in an ECB at 12F with 18-inches of snow on the ground ...
Old 11-22-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
Usually in Texas, we see our first icing... not snow. But like Texasgirl stated, it's nice to finally feel the cool air that you normally associate with the fall season and the holidays. Angie... I was hoping to see pics of your snow!!! Since we don't get much of our own, we have to admire yours!!!
I just took some! I'll post them shortly.