"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Our Kitchens

Not only am I unsure of where to put this thread, I also don't know if there is already one like it. I did a search and didn't find anything, so here goes:

I thought we could post pictures of our kitchens here.

I have 5 pictures I'd like to post of my kitchen to start with, mainly to show how small it is. It's actually not a kitchen, it's a kitchenette. It may be an efficiency kitchen, but it's certainly not efficient. However, it is functional, after a fashion.

My kitchen has about 3' x 7' of floor space. Everything in these pictures is in that space. And the reason I had to take so many pictures is because there wasn't room to back up and still be able to see the kitchen!

And I apologize for the poor quality of the photos - my camera needs to be replaced.

Starting in the corner - the door to come into my room is to the right of the stove. I don't use the cabinet above the stove because it's too high for me and the door doesn't stay closed. I have it taped shut right now.

This was taken across the room from the stove - yup, that's the other side of the door. It just clears the cabinet when I open it. I found this cabinet on Craig's List and the only drawers I have in the kitchen are in the cabinet. It's where I store all my dishes.

My chopping block gives me some much needed counter space. The end of the wall behind the pots is where the kitchen ends.

Across from the pot stand is the sink (the towel isn't dirty, it's just damp). The double cabinet above the sink is the only cabinet I have for food. That's my only counter space (about 2' x 2') besides the chopping block and no, I didn't wreck it by cutting on it. It was supposed to be replaced, but the building ran out of funds.

We can place the fridge anywhere in the room we like, so I chose to place it just past the sink to make a small room of my kitchenette. To get into my room, I have to squeeze in between the fridge and the chopping block. There's really more room to get by than it looks.

The door to my room (the one between the stove and the cabinet) is directly across from the fridge and to get this pic, I stepped out into the hallway a couple feet.

Does anyone else want to share pics of their kitchen?

Old 08-11-2016, 06:17 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Old 08-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Although that's not quite what I had in mind when I asked if anyone wanted to share pics of their kitchens!
Old 08-11-2016, 06:39 PM   #4
Wine Guy

I'm not moving in until next month, so it technically isn't my kitchen yet, but below are some photos of the kitchen area as it currently is. I'm planning to do some renovation, although that likely won't happen until next year sometime.

It's a 90 year old house with all the original woodwork. I plan to keep the arts and crafts look intact, and renovate it accordingly with new cabinets that fit that style. I also want to take that modern, but strangely dated, center island out and add a large wooden prep table that will also accommodate seating.

My favorite part is the walk-in pantry. Although it looks as if it was added later, it's still kind of a neat feature that you don't see much in modern kitchens.

Long story short, The challenge will be to make upgrades that give me additional storage and a few modern touches, but without destroying the character of a 1920s kitchen. I'd like to imagine it as a space where my grandmother would have felt at home.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
Master Chef

RT..congratulations on making the most of your space with your innovations and those copper pots are stunning! You've made it a very appealing tiny kitchen! Good job!

SLoB....oh yes, what a great first reaction to a kitchen fire. Take a picture!

Steve, what a great kitchen space! I agree your changes should fit the character of that wonderful old house!

I'll be back with my kitchen pictures.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:00 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Such pretty, pretty kitchens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
RT..congratulations on making the most of your space with your innovations and those copper pots are stunning! You've made it a very appealing tiny kitchen! Good job!
Thank you! One of the reasons I took the pics today was because I had just polished those pots. I think in December, I'm going to order a set of stainless steel cookware and then sell the copper set. They might look nice now, but use them once, and they start getting that "patina"!
Old 08-12-2016, 01:32 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I'm not moving in until next month, so it technically isn't my kitchen yet, but below are some photos of the kitchen area as it currently is. I'm planning to do some renovation, although that likely won't happen until next year sometime.

It's a 90 year old house with all the original woodwork. I plan to keep the arts and crafts look intact, and renovate it accordingly with new cabinets that fit that style. I also want to take that modern, but strangely dated, center island out and add a large wooden prep table that will also accommodate seating.

My favorite part is the walk-in pantry. Although it looks as if it was added later, it's still kind of a neat feature that you don't see much in modern kitchens.

Long story short, The challenge will be to make upgrades that give me additional storage and a few modern touches, but without destroying the character of a 1920s kitchen. I'd like to imagine it as a space where my grandmother would have felt at home.

My son had an arts and craft home with all the woodwork intact. It even had the small room off the kitchen for the old ice box with a hole in the floor for the melting ice. It also had the built-in bookcases with the glass doors with a pillar above them. I went on line and even found the old blueprint for that style house.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:36 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Such pretty, pretty kitchens!

Thank you! One of the reasons I took the pics today was because I had just polished those pots. I think in December, I'm going to order a set of stainless steel cookware and then sell the copper set. They might look nice now, but use them once, and they start getting that "patina"!
How do you clean those pots? I had one given to me as a wedding present in the 1950's. Too hard to keep clean. I gave it to my sister. At least I kept it in the family.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:05 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

Although that's not quite what I had in mind when I asked if anyone wanted to share pics of their kitchens!
I'm not home and won't be for two months. I am currently cooking in my father's kitchen, which is even less impressive than my own. My mother was like Ronny Milsap; and my father doesn't cook.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
Head Chef

Copper cookware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
How do you clean those pots? I had one given to me as a wedding present in the 1950's. Too hard to keep clean. I gave it to my sister. At least I kept it in the family.
I use mostly copper cookware. I use Wrights Copper Cream.

Tags
kitchen