Our new member of the family

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) This is how I start training a puppy after they eat or wake up from a nap you take her to the piddle pad and give lots of praise when she gos. They also seem to need to pee when they get cold. Be patient she will get it. How close is her pad? If it's too far away she might be scared at night to go that far. If she is locked in the crate at night she just might not be able to hold it their little bladders are still small so you may want to get up a couple times at night to let her go.

I have to pee on a cold every night though I don't want to get up.........DH will knock you down in the mornings to get to the toilet........he will also huddle up in a cold ball and let you and he freeze to death but you will get no blanket in the night...........once he's asleep.........that's it..............you're on your own...........so is he........but he just adjusts..........

...We don't want to take her outside on the grass afraid she will contact Parvo since she doesn't have her full set of vaccines yet...
Has a dog with Parvo been in your yard? We had a dog that died of Parvo, and when we got another dog the vet said to wash the whole area down with bleach. If no dog with Parvo (that you know of) has ever been out there, and your puppy has started on her shots, I would think it would be okay. You should ask your vet about that. I do know that Parvo is a terrible way to die, so it is good you are taking precautions.

:)Barbara

How cute! Congrats on the new family member! I soooo love doggies!!!!!

Has a dog with Parvo been in your yard? We had a dog that died of Parvo, and when we got another dog the vet said to wash the whole area down with bleach. If no dog with Parvo (that you know of) has ever been out there, and your puppy has started on her shots, I would think it would be okay. You should ask your vet about that. I do know that Parvo is a terrible way to die, so it is good you are taking precautions.

I would agree with Barbara. It is parks/doggie parks that you would want to avoid until all vaccs have been administered. Your back yard should be safe. Now a front yard might be a different story.

No Barb. No dog has been out there except for our dalmation we had over 2 years ago. She didn't have Parvo. I just read that Parvo lives in the grass and dirt and I'm terrified that Sam will contact it as she's been quite weak at the start. She goes for her second Parvo vaccines this Friday so I'll check with the Vet then. Thanks. In the meantime, I'm putting pads all over the floor but she keeps missing them. Argh!

The supplemental food she eats makes her go and go all day. I tried giving her the dry food a couple of times daily and that worked okay. There were not too many accidents. I hope the vet takes her off the supplemental stuff~it's expensive, smells nasty and gross to clean up.

I'm a germaphobic so I'm trying to deal with this as patiently as I can. Sigh!

Sorry for posting late on Sam. She went to the vet last Friday and she's free of worms and skin infection. She went from 2.3 pounds to 9 pounds in 4 weeks. Woohoo! Sam got her heartworm pill, second Parvo vaccines and another one to prevent diarrhea (don't recall the name now). She can't go outside yet until she gets the 3rd Parvo vaccines in another 3 weeks. She's as healthy as a bee! Problem is she's been sniffing her poop and sometimes wants to eat it. Yuck!!!!! I don't know what to do about this because once I get busy doing something else, I find her doing this and I'm disgusted. I change the pad and wipe her mouth with antibacterial wipes. What can I give her to clean her mouth and teeth? I've seen some mint chewable bones...are those okay for puppies? Should I start brushing her teeth already? Maybe there's some antibacterial toothpaste out there...lol

You can buy toothpaste for dogs at Pet Smart (and other places). From everything I've heard, eating her poop won't hurt her, but I know from experience (my dog, not me!--I can just picture pacanis jumping in here if I hadn't clarified this!) that it is disgusting. Cubbie was doing this for awhile, so I looked it up online. There are pills you can give them that are supposed to stop it. The funny thing is that one of the ingredients in some of them is brewer's yeast. It said that dogs don't like the taste of it, so it stops that behavior. That wouldn't have worked for Cubbie. We were giving him brewer's yeast every day (supposed to help with fleas) and he loved it! In fact, I stopped giving him brewer's yeast when I read that, and he stopped doing it. Now if I could just keep him out of the catbox!

It's good to hear that Sam is growing and is so healthy!

Thanks Barb. I'm going to call the Vet to ask what I can give her and go to PetsMart to get the toothpaste. I'm so stressed cleaning up after her that my eczema is coming back. Argh. I need to go to the vent thread instead...

Just happened to drop back in. I caught word Barabra L has a little experience with coprophagia.... :ermm:
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

There's no cure, nothing is wrong, it's just gross. My own vet asked me if I knew how to cure it because his dog own is doing it.
One fix. Clean up right away. It will save you more work in the long run. Take it from a professional poop scooper ;)

:) Sometimes dogs eat poop because they are missing something in their diet some sort of vitamin or mineral. I'm sure she will grow out of it as now the worms are gone. She will get better about it as she grows her little body is still in a bit of shock.Maybe some puppy vitamins will help her cravings.

Awww, I just read through this entire thread and I am soooo happy to see that Sam is recovered and growing stronger with each day. I ABSOLUTELY loooove the pic of her asleep on the first step and that Halloween costume is awesome! She is as cute as a button!!!!

As for the eating of poop, Reesie (our brown and tan mini doxie) used to eat her poop. It was disgusting, but thankfully she moved on! :-p

Back
Top Bottom