Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We ordered a pizza. Half pepperoni, half mushroom. I had the mushroom and gave a slice to Teddy. He gently picked of all the mushrooms and placed them in a neat pile next to his slice. Then he proceeded to eat his slice of piece of pizza. Left the mushrooms right where he put them. Spike then gave his a slice of his pepperoni. He again picked off all the pepperoni first, ate it, then ate his slice of pizza. He appears to have impeccable table manners.

Teddy knows. Mushrooms and onions aren't good for dogs.

My mom had a nasty old cocker. He'd growl at or bite anyone who he didn't like. He worshipped Mom. She'd give him beef stew. He carefully licked all the peas clean and spit them out in a neat pile.

Last edited:
We ordered a pizza. Half pepperoni, half mushroom. I had the mushroom and gave a slice to Teddy. He gently picked of all the mushrooms and placed them in a neat pile next to his slice. Then he proceeded to eat his slice of piece of pizza. Left the mushrooms right where he put them. Spike then gave his a slice of his pepperoni. He again picked off all the pepperoni first, ate it, then ate his slice of pizza. He appears to have impeccable table manners.

I used to take all the mushrooms off a small slice of my pizza for Violet. I only have mushrooms on my pizza while TB goes for everything. I would always put Violet's mushrooms on mine. The other reason she always got my pizza was I can't have tomato sauce so I get the garlic cream sauce. We can't give her things like that anymore because of her weight causing problems for her already bad hips.

Psycho poodle very rarely gets people food. Well, not at my house -- at my parent's house, he does, even though I tell them not to give it to him.

He always gets steak scraps when I have a steak. He knows. He lays patiently near the table, and waits for me to lower the plate when I am all done.

Otherwise, it is dry dog food. It may not be the best tasting food in the world, but it is good for him. My last dog lived 17 years on dry dog food -- until her last few months, when I spoiled her rotten knowing she was not going to be around much longer. I figured that the worst thing that could happen was that she'd die a few weeks earlier -- but much happier. Her vet agreed.

CD

Today was massage day for me. I have brought my ESD each time. Today I was asked to produce his papers or leave him in the car? What? He has accompanied me there before. Today I didn't put his vest on or bring his papers, figured they knew what he was. They let him come in with me but told me to dress him next time because they have some clients who have complained about dogs being with people. Not necessarily mine, but others. My dog is actually a service dog so is protected by the ADA. I couldn't believe it. He was in the room with me, not in any area where there was anyone else since I was getting a massage.

Psycho poodle very rarely gets people food. Well, not at my house...

Otherwise, it is dry dog food. It may not be the best tasting food in the world, but it is good for him. My last dog lived 17 years on dry dog food -- until her last few months, when I spoiled her rotten knowing she was not going to be around much longer. I figured that the worst thing that could happen was that she'd die a few weeks earlier -- but much happier. Her vet agreed.

CD

Right on Caseyd! I even use her dry dog food as a treat during the day or on walks. She gets just as excited about them as a piece of steak! One treat I do give her is a chance to lick the spoon from the wet cat food I have started to give to the barn cat. Like yours, she is aged and I'm not sure how long she'll be with me in the barn. It is just a treat really.

Today was massage day for me. I have brought my ESD each time. Today I was asked to produce his papers or leave him in the car? What? He has accompanied me there before. Today I didn't put his vest on or bring his papers, figured they knew what he was. They let him come in with me but told me to dress him next time because they have some clients who have complained about dogs being with people. Not necessarily mine, but others. My dog is actually a service dog so is protected by the ADA. I couldn't believe it. He was in the room with me, not in any area where there was anyone else since I was getting a massage.

And was he invisible when you went from the waiting room to the massage area? You have to understand that you know and the technicians know who he is... but others in the waiting areas, or wherever, do not. He wears a vest for a reason - so that everyone knows he is a professional doing a job. Bless him for how he comforts you but take care not to take liberties with others rights because of him. Others might start bringing their pets saying "Well she did! So therefore -so can I." The vest helps prevent that.
I'm sorry you had a surprise and I hope the massage helped you relax again. You do such an amazing job your love for your parents, don't give others an excuse to ruin it! :flowers::flowers::flowers:

CWS, may I ask what service your dog does for you. After Violet passes (not that I ever want to think of that day), we were thinking that I should apply for one. She has been an unofficial one for me for years. But I could use a dog that is trained. If you rather, you can send me a PM.

My mom had a nasty old cocker. He'd growl at or bite anyone who he didn't like. He worshipped Mom. She'd give him beef stew. He carefully licked all the peas clean and spit them out in a neat pile.

The other day I had some leftover roast beef from my Surf 'n Turf luncheon my daughter got for me. I cut it up really small. Even smaller then the dry food that was in his dish. I mixed it in really good. He managed to pick out every piece of the RB, and left the dry behind. I just noticed that today he finished the dry food. Time to put more fresh dry food in his dish.

He loves cheese. But I an adamant that Pirate not give any to him. Dairy food is not that good for dogs. I have a battle with Pirate in not giving foods to him that are not good for Teddy. Fortunately, Teddy knows, like you said, what foods he shouldn't eat. But he will pick at the cheese.

I'm going to have to build a few stairs for Beagle. She's getting older, and having a hard time getting up on her three favorite couches. I already built a pre-fab set of stairs for her to get up on the bed, the bed is higher than the couches.

Last edited:
Just get some wooden step sized crates and fix them together. Can be used for storage when you no longer need them.

I've been picking up cats and putting them where they want to go, they do fine getting down. :(

Good idea. Beagle can pop up on the couches just fine sometimes, other times she gives three or four oomphs and doesn't make it. I have a plastic storage bin that doesn't fit under the bed, I'll carpet the top with a carpet sample, and DH can store his hand and foot weights in it. We're working on training her to use it as a step, but I understand her apprehension, it's slippery.

TB has been wanting to make stairs for Violet to get up onto our bed. It is not like she doesn't have four of her own, but Monkey seems to be claiming those. We will probably wait until we move to make anything new.

TB and his brother have been promising to make us a platform bed with drawers like they made for their niece last year. maybe they can add a little pull-out ramp for Violet! :LOL:

TB has been wanting to make stairs for Violet to get up onto our bed. It is not like she doesn't have four of her own, but Monkey seems to be claiming those. We will probably wait until we move to make anything new.

TB and his brother have been promising to make us a platform bed with drawers like they made for their niece last year. maybe they can add a little pull-out ramp for Violet! :LOL:

That is a good idea!

We have a really big pillow. I put it next to the couch, and demonstrated to Beagle how to use it to get up on the couch. Granted, I'm a lot taller, but she got the idea after just one demonstration. So I may not need to carpet the plastic bin after all.

We have a really big pillow. I put it next to the couch, and demonstrated to Beagle how to use it to get up on the couch. Granted, I'm a lot taller, but she got the idea after just one demonstration. So I may not need to carpet the plastic bin after all.

When I first moved in here, Teddy Bear was still a puppy and on the small side. He would run to my bed and start barking for someone to lift him up. Then one day he surprised all of us by jumping up there by himself. A number of years pass, and I had the carpet replaced with a tile floor. He tried to jump up but had nothing to grab hold of with his claws. He took one leap and didn't make it. He refused to try again. I have two small area rugs and I placed one next to my bed. I am afraid of having that small rug next to my bed, so I slide it under so that only a small part is sticking out. When Teddy wants up, I slide it out with my feet. Now he has something to put his claws into and get a grip so he can jump up on the bed for his scratchies. That dog is spoiled rotten. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Because I am his biggest spoiler.

Smart Beagle!

The thought that she was able to extrapolate a two-legged person demonstration into a four-legged animal use did amaze me.

The big pillow will probably trip DH, but as long as Beagle can pop up on her couch, DH's tripping is just collateral damage.

We had a dog that used to do very well getting up onto the couch himself until he got older. One day he attempted to jump up, missed, and fell back, hitting his eye on the coffee table. He almost lost that eye, it was bulging way out of the socket. The vet gave us expensive drops to use, but they didn't appear to be helping, so we started using Visine. Eventually the swelling in his eye went down, but we don't think he could actually see out of that eye ever again.

Years ago we had a dog that used to jump up onto the bed. It was a water bed. One day we decided we didn't want the water bed anymore, so we had a mattress made to fit into the water bed frame. The day we were making the switch, we drained the waterbed mattress and removed it. Just then the dog came into the room and jumped up onto the bed, but landed down in the hole with no mattress. He had the most shocked look on his face! LOL "What happened??"

My grandmother had a cocker spaniel when I was a kid. She had had it since before I was born. That dog HATED everyone except my grandma and one of my uncles. It was MEAN. It had to be Locked up when anyone came over. A few times, I showed up (with my family) and it got out and attacked me and my older brother. One of my earliest childhood memories; I was probably about 3 or 4.

I blame that dog for my lifelong fear and distrust of dogs, and animals, in general.

I do currently have a cat. I never wanted a cat. But, about 8 years ago it showed up at my back door while I was grilling burgers, and it was nearly starved to death. Someone had dropped it off in the neighborhood, I presume. (There a topic for the pet peeve thread.) so, like a compassionate idiot, I fed the thing and it hasn't left our house since then. We had it spayed (last thing I want is more of them) and we take it to the vet for shots and whatever it needs.

We never really bothered to name it, so we just call her "Kitty". She's part of the family, now, and all of our grandkids love her. (She is a very affectionate cat.) She's a Halloween calico with a very pretty coat, and she's small for a full grown cat.

Hope I never have another pet.

Back
Top Bottom