Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My daughter's beloved cat died a couple of months ago.. She has adopted 3
feral neighborhood cats.. They are fairly well domesticated now and very loving.. She is having them neutered and spayed soon...

Ross

I walked into the living room this morning to find a lot of items I had ready for packing all over the floor - candles separated from their holders, a few knick knacks, one of my angels (I have a huge collection) with a newly broken wing, packing materials and a piece of paper in the middle of it all. The paper said, "beware of Hurricane Monkey"! Also in the middle of all this was the box that I was packing the stuff into....which now contained a sleeping ball of black fluff.

TB had been up before me and heard the racket. He added the note and left the evidence for me to see.

I think if she situates herself into one more packing box, I am just going to fill it up with her in it! :LOL:

We would actually like for him to gain a little weight - he is so skinny that you can see his ribs, but he eats all he wants. His dish always has food and he just eats when he is hungry. I will sometimes pour a couple of tablespoons of bacon fat over his dry food, but the vet said to go easy on that too. He is healthy and happy, so the vet said that he is just a naturally skinny dog, just like some lucky people (not me :( )

My dog also self regulates his food intake. My last dog did, too. All I do is keep the bowl full of food, and Teddy eats what he wants, when he wants. And, he is about the perfect weight for his overall size.

I hate leaving him with my parents when I travel, because they want him to eat two times a day, on a schedule. They put gravy on his kibble to make him eat when he isn't really hungry. They think I starve him.

Oh, their poodle is FAT! They talk about her weak legs failing her. No, no, no, it is not her legs, it is the weight those legs have to carry. But, I may as well talk to a wall.

CD

Beagle, and my two previous cockers, AKA "pigs", aren't/weren't allowed to self-regulate unlimited food. One cocker broke into a bag of dogfood that was just within his reach, and by the time I discovered him, he'd consumed most of the contents and was lying on the floor panting and bloated. Dogs can die of bloat from eating too much food. Beagle is at a great weight.

LP, Monkey was just being helpful.

Last edited:
We fostered a growing Saint Bernard and had no idea how much food he should have. We gave him as much okay tasting kibble as he wanted. He didn't seem to pig out.

Beagle, and my two previous cockers, AKA "pigs", aren't/weren't allowed to self-regulate unlimited food. One cocker broke into a bag of dogfood that was just within his reach, and by the time I discovered him, he'd consumed most of the contents and was lying on the floor panting and bloated. Dogs can die of bloat from eating too much food. Beagle is at a great weight.

Some dogs are like that. They will eat until you think they are going to burst. I've heard all kinds of theories as to why, but I don't give a whole lot of credence to any of them.

I know people who will go nuts at the all-you-can-eat buffet. I can't eat like that. Dogs, like people, seem to have different eating habits.

CD

My sweet blond rescue cocker taught my little white rescue mutt how to eat. She'd leisurely snack out of her food dish all day, until we got the blond. He'd snarf up all her food once she turned her back. Both dogs were dumb as rocks, but little white dog learned quickly that she'd better finish up. Cocker was the culprit who tried to consume the 20 lbs of dog food.

Not a big fan of all-you-can-eat buffets for people either.

Last edited:

My cocker, Brewster, was taught by his previous owner to eat a whole plate of spaghetti (noodles, no tomato sauce of course). We are talking a huge plate full. When I got him, He would get fed a couple of noodles held out in front of him and he would suck them up. He lost about 15 pounds through better eating and lots of walks.

Yes, Dawg, I know Monkey was helping but the stuff is supposed to go in the box, not the Monkey! LOL

Teddy is a self-regulator. You can't even tempt him with his special treats. If he hasn't had his daily poop, he doesn't eat. Save your energy for his scratchies. He never turns them down.

Arwen was a self-regulator even as a puppy, but Strider, not so much. So they get food twice a day and he inhales it. Arwen does too now because otherwise we have to stand on top of him and make him leave her food alone. Mork and Mindy are the same, but we have to leave food out all day because Mindy just grazes and doesn't hardly get anything to eat if we just put it out twice a day (she was losing weight and is tiny to begin with), so she's a nice normal size, Mork is a hefty kitty.

We baby sat Teddy again today. Spike came back late in the day. It was 92ºF outside. The sidewalks were just too hot to take him out for a walk today. So when Spike arrived it had cooled down some and he took him for his evening walk.

They are passing a house with stucco siding. Teddy stops and sticks his nose in a little hole at the base of the stucco. Jumps back, repeats it. Jumps back. Does it a third time. jumps back again. Now Spike is curious. He bends down and looks in the hole. It is a tiny bird with no feathers that fell out of his nest high up in the tree that is right next to the house. Every time Teddy stuck his nose in there, the baby bird would peck it.

Teddy was afraid of a tiny helpless bird. The big Whimp!

As they walked away, you could hear the mother screeching as loud as she could. Spikey looked back as they walked away, and there she was going into the hole to make sure her baby was all right.

GF turned 50 last week. I had been racking my brains for the last few months wondering what I could get her. A few days before, she mentioned she would like a Golden Doodle. Turns out there was a breeder near our place and one of my employees knew her well..she had one female left and ready to go in a few days..I went from zero to hero in seconds flat..meet Bailey...
CSQbAmH.jpg

GF turned 50 last week. I had been racking my brains for the last few months wondering what I could get her. A few days before, she mentioned she would like a Golden Doodle. Turns out there was a breeder near our place and one of my employees knew her well..she had one female left and ready to go in a few days..I went from zero to hero in seconds flat..meet Bailey...
CSQbAmH.jpg

I am in love! :heart:

Back
Top Bottom