Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I mentioned that Tetley the Wonder Horse had to be put to sleep last September aged 27 years. The owner of the stables where Tetley lived had known him longer than I had and kindly agreed to bury him on the premises (Strictly speaking illegal but there are ways and means).

I ordered a plaque to put on the tree under which Tetley was buried but by the time it arrived the ground was so wet that I sank up to my knees in mud and couldn't get to that part of the field

I went up to the farm today (Sunday) with Lisa who used to help me with him and we put up the plaque.

I found a quote from Beatrix Potter who had it put on the grave stone of her favourite rabbit and I had it engraved on Tetley's plaque:-

"An affectionate companion and a quiet friend"

which exactly described him.

I thought that those of you who have pets might like it for future reference.

Last edited:
Mad Cook - thank you so much - that is beautiful!

Porto is only 21 but just thinking of when it will be his time... the tears are pouring down my face as I type this.

Mad Cook - thank you so much - that is beautiful!

Porto is only 21 but just thinking of when it will be his time... the tears are pouring down my face as I type this.
Yes, I can understand that. I still have a little sniff from time to time.

Tetley lived on a big yard and was well known but I was really surprised when the yard Facebook account had 47 kind comments about him when the word got round. Some of them were from people I didn't know but who knew him.

I think I mentioned that Tetley the Wonder Horse had to be put to sleep last September aged 27 years. The owner of the stables where Tetley lived had known him longer than I had and kindly agreed to bury him on the premises (Strictly speaking illegal but there are ways and means).

I ordered a plaque to put on the tree under which Tetley was buried but by the time it arrived the ground was so wet that I sank up to my knees in mud and couldn't get to that part of the field

I went up to the farm today (Sunday) with Lisa who used to help me with him and we put up the plaque.

I found a quote from Beatrix Potter who had it put on the grave stone of her favourite rabbit and I had it engraved on Tetley's plaque:-

"An affectionate companion and a quiet friend"

which exactly described him.

I thought that those of you who have pets might like it for future reference.

I love your homage to Tetley. Thank you for sharing.

This Maya, 6 year old 'straight coated retriever' she acts like she is 2.

This is her favourite position to look out the window, straddling that cushion to her shape.

# 1. and it is just easier to say to people, yes, she's a Lab, rather than go into long explanations, of which they don't really care. :LOL:

and 2. yes, that is dog hair on the couch/sofa. I empty the vacuum A LOT! It's a painter's drop sheet which works really well, vacuums and wash easy - but huge to dry, I hang it over a fence.

Attachments

• 20180816_190438.jpg
    20180816_190438.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 20180816_190446.jpg
    20180816_190446.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 97
  • 20180816_190537.jpg
    20180816_190537.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 129
Never procrastinate about putting away the laundry

no comment.... :mad:

Attachments

• 20180823_075353.jpg
    20180823_075353.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 20180823_075414.jpg
    20180823_075414.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 108
This Maya, 6 year old 'straight coated retriever' she acts like she is 2.

This is her favourite position to look out the window, straddling that cushion to her shape.

# 1. and it is just easier to say to people, yes, she's a Lab, rather than go into long explanations, of which they don't really care. :LOL:

and 2. yes, that is dog hair on the couch/sofa. I empty the vacuum A LOT! It's a painter's drop sheet which works really well, vacuums and wash easy - but huge to dry, I hang it over a fence.

That's what drop cloths are for...sweet doggo!

A friend couldn't believe I use a clothes line. I do, well, not in the winter. I love the smlell of them coming off the line.

Although I have to admit I often give certain clothes a quick whirl in the dryer JUST to remove the hair. :(

My wife de-hairs with those sticky roller things every time she leaves the house, so often so that one of our parrots mimicks the high pitched "wheeee, wheeee" of the lint/hair roller every time she puts her shoes on.

Had to share this fun picture of our Miley. She always has to have something in her mouth, whether it be a stick, a toy, a ball, a leaf. A young woman who is into animal photography took this shot and it is one of my favourites of our fur-kid.

Attachments

• mileyStick.jpg
    mileyStick.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 87
My wife de-hairs with those sticky roller things every time she leaves the house, so often so that one of our parrots mimicks the high pitched "wheeee, wheeee" of the lint/hair roller every time she puts her shoes on.

Have to teach your parrot to fly with the lint roller up and down her back side. That would be a big help.

Or just teach him to say - come here, I'll do you back. That would be a hoot!

Had to share this fun picture of our Miley. She always has to have something in her mouth, whether it be a stick, a toy, a ball, a leaf. A young woman who is into animal photography took this shot and it is one of my favourites of our fur-kid.

Really good shot LP, I can see why it's one of your favourites! and a beautiful fur-kid!

Pretty dog, LP.

dragn, your dog looks a little melted. She'd be a perfect image in Salvador Dali's "The Persistence of Memory" painting.

Don't remember ever seeing that painting before - but you are right CG! she would fit in there perfectly.

I also think of leopards' you often see pictured draped over the branch of a tree, just sort of 'flat out'.

I slept in this am. Woke up and went into the kitchen to put on the kettle and was
met by an indignant Rosiecat who, despite having the remains of her bed-time "crunchies" (left just in case she got a little peckish in the night), was extremely cross that breakfast was late. I was left in no doubt that if it happened again the staff would be exchanged for a more efficient model. So if you see a downtrodden elderly lady hobbling down the road with her belongings wrapped in a spotted handkerchief hanging from a stick resting on her shoulder, it'll be me.

A friend couldn't believe I use a clothes line. I do, well, not in the winter. I love the smlell of them coming off the line.

Although I have to admit I often give certain clothes a quick whirl in the dryer JUST to remove the hair. :(
I dry mine outside too. I don't
have a dryer apart from a little portable thing with a tent over it (a gift) which I rarely use. Dryers are death to underwear and other items with elastication in the fabric (as are radiators). And don't talk to me about what they do to knitted woollen garments!!

Anyway, as you say, things dried in the fresh air smell lovely and , of course, fresh air is free. If it rains I put things on the clothes horse in the kitchen to dry over-night.

I'm a bit of a dinosaur!

My back door is open to any little lady's hobbling down the lane with a dotted kerchief tied to a stick. Come on in!

While I was still heating with wood, I too used a clothes horse inside during the winter, rather than the dryer. Just to add a bit of humidity.

But some things still need to be fluffed in the dryer - such as bath towels, my tender skin doesn't care for scratchy.

Back
Top Bottom