"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #981
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
The family who own the stables where Tetley lives have had two GDs in the years I've been going there. Silk, the first one that I knew there was friendly but reserved with visitors to the yard. She wasn't possessive but she wasn't going to have any nonsense on her territory. She patrolled the yard at 10pm every night and if she thought you shouldn't be there she would stand in front of your car, refusing to let you leave until you gave a satisfactory account of yourself. The current one is a lollopy daft girl - anyone's for a cuddle and would show the burglars where the silver's hidden. Both were huge and needed a lot of exercise which, of course, having the run of the yard and a large area for walks off the lead they get. I've seen the current one running alongside the quad bike in the fields and keeping up.

Judging by those two, GDs have a good temperament but, like all dogs (and horses) if they don't know the rules they will be badly behaved and, at that size, dangerous. Kind but firm is the way to go as with all animals (including children )

Also, like all big dogs they don't live an enormously long life. I think Silk was about 9 or 10 but that was said to be an advanced age for a GD.

In the UK docking dogs tails and clipping their ears is illegal but I gather that both are still permitted under American law.

Great Dane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not on my watch, I don't believe in declawing cats, either.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #982
Executive Chef

Adoption Notice

Henrietta (aka "Mad Cook") is pleased to announce the imminent arrival of Rosie the Tuxedo Cat. She will move into her new abode tomorrow evening at 6pm.

The new servant has spent the morning cat-proofing the house and has been shopping for essentials. Still waiting for the parcel from ZooPlus ordered at the beginning of the week - large litter tray and litter, scratching post, and treats, etc.

I saw a very unhappy-looking cat on a YouTube video advertisement for the Litter Kwitter. The poor thing, who was supposed to be a seasoned Litter Kwitter user, looked most put out by the whole performance. It looked really uncomfortable while demonstrating the use of the human loo and the distraction and effort to balance while "performing" suggested that users might very well end up with a nasty case of cystis. Some bad reviews regarding length of time it took for cats to learn who to use it and the incidence of reversion to messing on the floor. We won't be having one of those!

Anyone using this method?

I'd better go and find some lunch before I faint with hunger!

Old 04-17-2015, 09:14 AM   #983
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
She is such a cutie, MC! She has big white whiskers and eyebrows just like each of our tuxies did. I really miss having a cat, but I'm holding off until we move back to OH. We moved one from OH to MA and it wasn't the most fun drive we've ever had. Really don't want to chance a re-run.

Enjoy Rosie and have fun with her once she moves into her new furever home.
I brought the kittens, in a carrier together, back from Mississippi with me, about 1300 miles, over a 2-day drive. Apart from about 10-15 minutes of yowing from the male when we first started out, they were little angels pretty much the entire time. Slept nearly the whole time in the car except for occasional periods when they'd wake up and fuss a little, and I'd just stick my fingers thru the carrier holes and pet them and talk to them, and they'd settle right back down. Of course, when we stopped for the night, they went absolutely bonkers chasing and playing with each other and me to use up all that energy stored during the day. They were just over 2 months old then.

They still travel well, even though have only been on short distance trips to vet and our new home.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #984
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

How wonderful! Chez Henri will have resident royalty.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #985
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I brought the kittens, in a carrier together, back from Mississippi with me, about 1300 miles, over a 2-day drive. Apart from about 10-15 minutes of yowing from the male when we first started out, they were little angels pretty much the entire time. Slept nearly the whole time in the car except for occasional periods when they'd wake up and fuss a little, and I'd just stick my fingers thru the carrier holes and pet them and talk to them, and they'd settle right back down. Of course, when we stopped for the night, they went absolutely bonkers chasing and playing with each other and me to use up all that energy stored during the day. They were just over 2 months old then.

They still travel well, even though have only been on short distance trips to vet and our new home.
I'll be cat proofing the back of the Subaru for my two on the travel to Wyoming (please let it be soon), with frequent stops for me they will get plenty of interaction.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #986
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Not on my watch, I don't believe in declawing cats, either.
Neither do I but that's illegal over here too so the question doesn't arise.

Obviously, if there is an urgent medical requirement to do any of those things for the animals' health it's a different issue.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #987
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'll be cat proofing the back of the Subaru for my two on the travel to Wyoming (please let it be soon), with frequent stops for me they will get plenty of interaction.
Just be careful and don't let them get loose. The kittens just exploded from the carrier when I opened it. Good thing I had taken them in the bathroom of the hotel room and closed the door so that I'd be able to bring my overnight bag, laptop and food in without having to worry about them getting out, and also so that they'd be in a closed off space for a bit to find their litter box and use it before I let them have the run of the hotel room.

MC: Good luck with the new fur baby. And somewhere in this thread (I think) is my report on trying to get them to use the toilet.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:21 AM   #988
Head Chef

Found my posts about the toilet training

1 post here, well actually more but 747 is about potty training Our pets

and 2 posts here First it was men on the moon.....

I haven't decided whether I'll try again or not now that we are in the new house.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:49 AM   #989
Chef Extraordinaire

One year I watch Crufts dog show and they mentioned that it was illegal in England to dock the tails. Hearing that was the best part of the whole show.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #990
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When I moved to Denmark in 1969, I was surprised to see poodles with uncropped tails. I was told that decorative cropping of tails and ears was illegal in Denmark.

Tags
egg