Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:ROFLMAO: I don't know for sure. He seems to understand English.

But, the no name stuff didn't look as nice. It had a lot more coagulated white stuff (protein?) on the surface than the Clover Leaf salmon does.

Interesting link, though I knew most of that stuff. But, it doesn't really apply in this case. The tinned salmon is the stuff meant for human consumption.

I'm not really concerned about what is in his pet food at this stage in his life. I just want him to like it enough to eat it. I did try making raw food for him (from a recipe from a vet), but he wouldn't eat it. Next cat is getting homemade food, as well as learning to use the toilet, ride in the car, and to tolerate a "sponge bath" and having its teeth brushed. That is, unless I adopt an cat that is too old to learn that stuff.

That doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad for a cat. Cat's have a different idea of what 'looks nice' than humans. Or is edible, hence why they might eat their barf. :rolleyes:
I doubt he didn't want it because of appearance. He sniffs his food. I just mentioned it because I assume that a bunch of congealed protein means it was overcooked and that would affect flavour and maybe aroma.

I've never seen a cat eat its barf. I have seen dogs do that.

Tough day

Taxy, glad to hear Shreddy is hanging in there so strong. Unfortunately, I have sad news to share. LittleBit died in the wee hours of this morning.
cry-blow.gif
She started to act a bit sniffly and lazier than normal on Wednesday. I was working in the garden when my SIL stopped by. She was mentioning that both of their cats had gone through a bout of a feline virus making the rounds in our part of the county. As she was describing the symptoms I told her about LittleBit. Sounded like the same thing. She said the vet said there is nothing you can do for it but keep the kitty hydrated and comfortable and wait the five or so days it takes to run through the system and they start to act normal again.

With Monday being the day kitty should be feeling better, and Monday being Memorial Day (thank you to all our servicemen and women for their sacrifices for our freedom) we figured if LittleBit wasn't all better by Tuesday we'd get her to the vet. During the rest of the week she had been holding her own, getting as much water as I could get into her, and although weak still getting into the litterpan to void. During the day Saturday she was even moving from place to place, not far but moving. She was taking liquified canned cat food through the syringe. Things were looking up. Saturday night we went through our regular routine, watching a rerun of "Castle" after the 11:00 PM news with me flopped on my Snuggler chair and LittleBit laying across my middle. Afterwards I set her down so I could get the dish of water and the syringe I had been using to "water" her. She completely collapsed on the floor as if the stuffing had gone out of her. When I picked her up her system started to shut down, and I moved her to the kitchen to save the carpeting. Himself got her "sick bed" (we would keep an old plastic tablecloth covered with a couple of old bath towels on the floor in case she needed something waterproof under her...) and put it down on the floor, I lowered her gentle and stroked her gentle and talked to her sweetly as she left us. Would be nice if all of us humans had as loving as a send-off. All I know is we're gonna miss the little fuzzball.
crying.gif

RIP my LittleBit. You were a good friend, loving and loved. No better way to be remembered, whether critter or kin.

Attachments

• 2014-01-16 13.59.17.jpg
    2014-01-16 13.59.17.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 168
Oh CG (((hugs))). I'm so sorry to read this. RIP LittleBit, the gorgeous.

That's so awful. You didn't even get a chance to get used to the idea. I can imagine how much you will miss her. How old was she?

I'm crying.

I agree. But, he is carrying it pretty far. I bought a tin of "No Name" salmon and he wouldn't eat it. He wants the brand name stuff. :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
My last cat would only eat tuna and it had to be Sainsbury's (a medium quality supermarket) or he turned up his nose at it. He would go days without eating if I didn't give him what he wanted.

A cat we had when I lived at home with my parents, would refuse to eat her own food, or anything at all, from when a chicken came into the house until it's carcass went in the refuse. My mother used to weaken!

Last edited:
Thanks taxy. I've been as leaky as an old garden hose all day. LittleBit was at least 12-13 years old. When we got her from the shelter in April 2006 they guessed she was at least 4-5 years old. Over the last couple of years she's acted older than her "age", acted older than our previous kitty Midnight who was 17 when she died, so it's possible she was older. Bitsy has also had some medical issues that the vets (two different practices) never could put their finger on, starting back in August 2010. That first vet kept her for 4 days and almost $1000; they wanted to do more extensive testing but we brought her home, got her back on her feet, and that was the last time she was ever that sick. Or at that vet. Working with the second vet and our own common sense, every time she showed any problem coming up we'd nip it right away. So it seemed liked every time she got a little sick I was a bit afraid it would be the end of her. Guess this time it was. :cry:

Thanks GG. We'll adjust to not tripping over her eventually. But I told Himself no more kitties until we move. Maybe we can get this house up for sale quicker that way? :innocent:

Taxy, glad to hear Shreddy is hanging in there so strong. Unfortunately, I have sad news to share. LittleBit died in the wee hours of this morning.
cry-blow.gif
She started to act a bit sniffly and lazier than normal on Wednesday. I was working in the garden when my SIL stopped by. She was mentioning that both of their cats had gone through a bout of a feline virus making the rounds in our part of the county. As she was describing the symptoms I told her about LittleBit. Sounded like the same thing. She said the vet said there is nothing you can do for it but keep the kitty hydrated and comfortable and wait the five or so days it takes to run through the system and they start to act normal again.

With Monday being the day kitty should be feeling better, and Monday being Memorial Day (thank you to all our servicemen and women for their sacrifices for our freedom) we figured if LittleBit wasn't all better by Tuesday we'd get her to the vet. During the rest of the week she had been holding her own, getting as much water as I could get into her, and although weak still getting into the litterpan to void. During the day Saturday she was even moving from place to place, not far but moving. She was taking liquified canned cat food through the syringe. Things were looking up. Saturday night we went through our regular routine, watching a rerun of "Castle" after the 11:00 PM news with me flopped on my Snuggler chair and LittleBit laying across my middle. Afterwards I set her down so I could get the dish of water and the syringe I had been using to "water" her. She completely collapsed on the floor as if the stuffing had gone out of her. When I picked her up her system started to shut down, and I moved her to the kitchen to save the carpeting. Himself got her "sick bed" (we would keep an old plastic tablecloth covered with a couple of old bath towels on the floor in case she needed something waterproof under her...) and put it down on the floor, I lowered her gentle and stroked her gentle and talked to her sweetly as she left us. Would be nice if all of us humans had as loving as a send-off. All I know is we're gonna miss the little fuzzball.
crying.gif

RIP my LittleBit. You were a good friend, loving and loved. No better way to be remembered, whether critter or kin.
My sympathies.

My deepest condolences, CG. You did all you could for her and I know she knew that. She was very beautiful.

I think TB thinks I am batty, but I am thinking about taking Violet back to our old vet. I like the new one, but he doesn't seem to take Violet's leg condition seriously because he hasn't seen the horrific x-rays and doesn't seem interested in getting them from the other vet. He told me that there was no way it could be as bad as I described and said if I want to add another pain killer he'll do it, but the dog will be sedated most of the time. It is gabapenten and I take it. I don't want her to have that unless she needs it, but we have to prove she is in pain. She looks at me with this "Help me Mom" look and backs herself into my legs so she is always touching me. She whines and yelps constantly. The diarrhea is coming back even though she is still on the medication. She is eating okay, but not like she was.

Please, if I am paranoid tell me. I just don't want her to be in pain. Should I go back to the old vet who knows her? The reasons for not going is it is a long car ride and Violet hates them (and I am better at short ones if I am in pain myself).

I don't think we will lose her, I just want her well.

Last edited:
Thanks PF, MC, and LP! It's helped me with the support of my friends here and on my Facebook page. Himself said we need a new kitty around here. I'm saying I want to wait until we get back to OH. Maybe I'll compromise and get him a hamster. They're pretty easy to move. ;)

My deepest condolences, CG. You did all you could for her and I know she knew that. She was very beautiful.

I think TB thinks I am batty, but I am thinking about taking Violet back to our old vet. I like the new one, but he doesn't seem to take Violet's leg condition seriously because he hasn't seen the horrific x-rays and doesn't seem interested in getting them from the other vet. He told me that there was no way it could be as bad as I described and said if I want to add another pain killer he'll do it, but the dog will be sedated most of the time. It is gabapenten and I take it. I don't want her to have that unless she needs it, but we have to prove she is in pain. She looks at me with this "Help me Mom" look and backs herself into my legs so she is always touching me. She whines and yelps constantly. The diarrhea is coming back even though she is still on the medication. She is eating okay, but not like she was.

Please, if I am paranoid tell me. I just don't want her to be in pain. Should I go back to the old vet who knows her? The reasons for not going is it is a long car ride and Violet hates them (and I am better at short ones if I am in pain myself).

Can you phone the old vet and ask him to send the X-rays to you or the new vet?

I don't think you are being paranoid. I would have concerns as well.

I have no good or bad feeling about the vet near where I live. But, I don't think she has or ever has had a cat. It's a 10 minute drive. I really like the new vet. It's a 25-40 minute drive, depending on traffic, to the new vet and I have to hunt for parking. Shreddy detests riding in the car. But, for me, it's worth going to the new vet.

Last edited:
GG, I was so sad to read of the passing of your beautiful kitty-cat. My sincere condolences, ?. It's so hard to lose our cherished friends,and hard to replace them too. I think waiting to do so until you get back "home" is a fine thing to do.

Thanks PF, MC, and LP! It's helped me with the support of my friends here and on my Facebook page. Himself said we need a new kitty around here. I'm saying I want to wait until we get back to OH. Maybe I'll compromise and get him a hamster. They're pretty easy to move. ;)

When we lost our beloved Joie in February 2013, there wasn't even thoughts of getting a new pet, dog or cat. We needed time to get over the shock. There was a deep hole in the hearts of all of us (including Violet).

Then I took Vi to the new vet in our area as she was having problems with her back legs and I was worried (just as I am now). The times I had gone in for food and glucosamine there were no kittens but this one time I go in and see a beautiful little black kitten for adoption. She adopted me at that moment but I didn't acknowledge it. I went home and told TB about her but we didn't even discuss getting her. The next day I got her on my own and when I walked in the door and plunked her in his arms he was in love too.

When the time is right, CG, you will know it.

I hereby declare that Myrtle, my 4-yr old Shaffer chicken, is now a pet. She went on an outing with me on Sunday--helped me help a friend plant his garden. She rode in the car on my lap and hung her head out the window on the way home just like a dog.

I hereby declare that Myrtle, my 4-yr old Shaffer chicken, is now a pet. She went on an outing with me on Sunday--helped me help a friend plant his garden. She rode in the car on my lap and hung her head out the window on the way home just like a dog.

The Queen of the Hen House! She is also a therapist it seems. :angel:

Love it! What a mental image.

I don't think you're paranoid but I do think your current vet is somewhat remiss in refusing to request the records from your previous vet. There is no reason legally (at least I can't see that US law would be different to UK law in this) or ethically, why he can't request the records from the previous vet. If it was you who went to a new Doctor it would be perfectly reasonable to expect your records to follow you.

I don't see why you couldn't ring up the old vet, explain the circumstances and ask if it would be possible to have a copy of Violet's records. Assuming he knows that you only changed vets because of the travelling and you had no complaint s about the way he looked after Violet I would expect him to be reasonable. However, if you get the records there is no way you can force new vet to look at them!

New vet needs a good talking to. You wouldn't put up with this nonsense from a plumber or a car mechanic or your own doctor and you shouldn't have to put up with it from the vet. Remember you are paying for a service and you aren't getting it.

Love to Violet and I hope she's feeling better soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom