Our pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had a scare a couple of weeks ago with Monkey. She wasn't eating, was hiding and sleeping all the time, so not like our little brat cat. I took her to the Vet, and he said her white cell count was out so he did some follow-up tests for Feline Leukemia and FIV (Feline Aids). The "snap test" showed positive for FIV. This meant her immune system was totally compromised, and she would have to be an indoor cat from now on. There was a whole list of things to do/not do to give her a fairly normal life. We paid an extra $115 to have another test done at the lab. The first one can give a false positive but the second one is conclusive. It took over a week of dealing with Monkey not able to go outside, getting her medicine into her, making sure she ate and drank before the phone rang and the vet tech was on the other line. At that very moment, Monkey was driving me crazy wanting out. When the tech said the test was definitely negative, I threw the back door open and let her go!

So she had an infection, but the antibiotic worked to fix it. We still have to watch her for any symptoms but on the whole, she comes and goes as she pleases. She has all her outdoor shots, so that is a relief.

Violet is showing her age (12). She will be outside the room you are in and howl/whine because she is all alone. Her back end is losing the muscle tone that has been holding her hip joints together all these years. I take her for a second walk (TB takes her in the mornings) in the afternoon/early evening just to get both of our bodies moving more. We are positive she is going deaf and maybe a little blind as well. It is heartbreaking to see her like this because she is so special.

The Beagle has landed. She's really groggy, and not at all hungry, but she's home. The clinic told me she's their favorite beagle, never a complaint from her. Broken tooth root extraction and tumor removal both went smoothly. They'll send the tumor samples in for analysis. My poor baby is just exhausted!

Glad things worked out for you and Monkey, LP!

Last edited:
The Beagle has landed. She's really groggy, and not at all hungry, but she's home. The clinic told me she's their favorite beagle, never a complaint from her. Broken tooth root extraction and tumor removal both went smoothly. They'll send the tumor samples in for analysis. My poor baby is just exhausted!

Glad things worked out for you and Monkey, LP!

What a Good Beagle Boy! How is Beagle's Mommy doing though? :angel:

What a Good Beagle Boy! How is Beagle's Mommy doing though? :angel:

DH and I didn't like the idea of bringing our little girl in, but she seems to be fine now after a post-op nap. No appetite yet. She did go to one of her favorite windows to peruse her kingdom.

I'm keeping a close eye on her.

...he said her white cell count was out so he did some follow-up tests for Feline Leukemia and FIV (Feline Aids). The "snap test" showed positive for FIV... We paid an extra $115 to have another test done at the lab. The first one can give a false positive ...When the tech said the test was definitely negative, I threw the back door open and let her go...
Glad to hear that Monkey doesn't have feline leukemia, but sad at your news regarding Violet. It's hard to see pets and humans age less than gracefully. I hope you and TB still have good times with her.

The Beagle has landed...
Yay, Beagle! Before you know it, she'll be running around driving you nuts again. I hope the tissue tests come back clean.

Glad to hear that Monkey doesn't have feline leukemia, but sad at your news regarding Violet. It's hard to see pets and humans age less than gracefully. I hope you and TB still have good times with her.

Yay, Beagle! Before you know it, she'll be running around driving you nuts again. I hope the tissue tests come back clean.

I have always thought of Beagle being a male. My apologies. :angel:
And one for Beagle. :angel:

Addie, shouldn't you be apologizing to Beagle? :ermm: Or at least to her slave-and-mistress Dawg. :LOL:

Oh dear. I seem to be getting in deeper and deeper. I am so sorry Beagle. I hope you feel like yourself tomorrow. And go easy on your slave. She really loves you from head to toe. :angel:

Oh dear. I seem to be getting in deeper and deeper. I am so sorry Beagle. I hope you feel like yourself tomorrow. And go easy on your slave. She really loves you from head to toe. :angel:

Beagle forgives you, Addie. She appreciates all the well wishes.

She ate a bit of soft food, and is resting comfortably. I'll give her a pain pill shortly, though she doesn't seem to be in pain. I don't think I'll put her through something like this again, she's getting too old.

Last edited:
Welcome home Beagle, soon you'll be chasing Bunnies.

Thanks PF, she already is! Beagle's resilliance is unbelievable. She hops up into her couches, we took her for half a long walk today, and she definitely likes her soft lamb and rice food as it comes with gravy. Her incision doesn't seem to bother her at all, despite it having industrial-looking staples. I'm giving her the Rimadil pain pills as instructed, but I'm not sure she needs them, other than they're beef flavored and she likes the taste.

As long as she's active, I wouldn't worry about the pain med, Dawg. When LittleBit was on them she was very lethargic. To the point of not eating lethargic, and she needed her nutrition, too. I ended up weaning her off of them before the supply was used up.

Watch that incision. Our niece's Weinheimer just had surgery and has had to go back to the vet twice because she keeps popping the staples. Then again, even on her best day, Beagle probably still can't be anywhere near as energetic as one of our niece's Weims. :wacko:

I hear ya on the staples, CG. We now have a Franken-beagle. Those staples are ugly, and I would think they would hurt. But they're in a low-action area, so don't seem to bother her.

Beagle forgives you, Addie. She appreciates all the well wishes.

She ate a bit of soft food, and is resting comfortably. I'll give her a pain pill shortly, though she doesn't seem to be in pain. I don't think I'll put her through something like this again, she's getting too old.

I am glad Beagle forgives me. I hate to even think of "that" day Dawg. :angel:

Glad to hear Beagle is doing well.

They apparently just do not feel pain like we do. When my Dad's cat had the ktitens, 2+ years now, it was decided to get mama cat fixed ASAP so we waited until all but 1 of the kittens were more or less weaned. we had 1 problem kitten that didn't want to stop nursing, my Mindy, but off mama went anyway to the vet for an overnight visit. As soon as she got back, Mindy went back to nursing; in fact, they all did for a couple of times, mama being gone was traumatic for the kittens, and mama didn't appear to be bothered at all by the kneading on her belly while they were nursing. Don't know about the rest of you ladies that have had a hysterectomy or gents witih some kind of abdominal surgery, but I sure didn't want anybody kneading on my belly after mine or bouncing off of it like they did once they got her to play with them.

Glad to hear Beagle is doing well.

They apparently just do not feel pain like we do. When my Dad's cat had the ktitens, 2+ years now, it was decided to get mama cat fixed ASAP so we waited until all but 1 of the kittens were more or less weaned. we had 1 problem kitten that didn't want to stop nursing, my Mindy, but off mama went anyway to the vet for an overnight visit. As soon as she got back, Mindy went back to nursing; in fact, they all did for a couple of times, mama being gone was traumatic for the kittens, and mama didn't appear to be bothered at all by the kneading on her belly while they were nursing. Don't know about the rest of you ladies that have had a hysterectomy or gents witih some kind of abdominal surgery, but I sure didn't want anybody kneading on my belly after mine or bouncing off of it like they did once they got her to play with them.

It just hurts my sensibilities to even think of someone touching my tummy after my hysterectomy. And coughing? Don't even mention that. Pillow or no pillow.

When I worked at the old hospital in Revere, if I had no babies in the nursery, I would go on the floor. The day after their surgery, we wanted to get the patients up as soon as possible. Or for any abdominal surgery. I always made it a point to work with the male patients. I would go in, with a cheery "Good Morning" I would throw back the blankets before they could grab them. "Time to get up!" Being male and in very short hospital gowns, they didn't know whether to try and reach the blanket or cover themselves with their hands. Then I would always get the "Are you crazy? I just had life threatening surgery yesterday!" I gave them a choice. Either work with me and get up now, or I will bounce and shake your bed every time I pass it. They got the picture real quick. We started with a ten minute leg dangle and then a very gentle slide off the edge of the bed. Stand there for a few minutes and then try to take a few steps. Each try showed improvement with more and more steps. This was practiced several times throughout the shift. By the next day they were ready and eager to go home. (Probably to get away from that mean lady.) And I was back in my newborn nursery. :angel:

Dawg, the big bummer about not being here very often is that I miss out on things. I reported about my fur-kid woes but totally missed what you are going through with Beagle. I am glad she is doing "okay" and send hugs and love to both of you.

And thanks to all who have given good wishes for Violet and Monkey. It looks like we will be taking Violet to the vet tomorrow. I was up with kidney stone pain last night and heard her whimpering in her sleep. This morning she didn't eat and her back end is buckling more than ever.

Thanks, LP. Oh dear, poor Violet. Hope they can do something to help her. :wub:

And sure hope you can get rid of that kidney stone! From what I understand, the pain is horrible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom