"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
Head Chef

Paper or Plastic?

The thread about bagging your own groceries reminded me of News story about plastic bags Heard that they will be taken off the "market" for obvious reasons. I do most of my food shopping on line (groceries delivered), & still notice plastic bags are still around.

When asked, in the past, which I prefer "Paper or Plastic?" I say "Both" - as I don't want anything leaking through the paper, & makes toting several bags easier. I wouldn't mind giving up the plastic if it helped the environment.

What do you prefer & what is your input? Anyone know when the plastic ban will take effect?

Old 02-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

When I have a choice I request paper....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Master Chef

When you have 2 dogs, you like the plastic bags. Mine are always recycled in that manner. And paper is used to bundle my newspapers together for the recycling truck.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Plastic bags should be banned everywhere. I'm happy SF recently did this.

I bring my recycled paper bags, but I also bring my huge backpack. When I order groceries online, I opt for no bags.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:22 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

we ask for plastic, then re-use them much as jenny does, but with litter boxes and diapers.

i remember we used to buy special plastic bags for diapers, to fit into the top of a diaper pail to be dispensed. but they're relatively expensive, and we had a ton of plastic bags from the supermarket, so it was a no-brainer. since we emptied out kitchen garbage almost as much as we had to empty the diaper pail, there were no foul odors around from using the cheaper plastic.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I am like Jenny and Bucky. I get plastic and they get re-used for litter and diapers. We also used to use them as trash bags for the kitchen trash.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:40 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Neither, as much as possible. DH goes to 2-3 conferences per year and brings home tote bags from most, if not all, of them, so I have a few canvas bags in the car and try to remember to bring them into the store with me. The real challenge is remembering to take them back out to the car after unloading in the kitchen. DH brings home plastic bags from his own shopping, which keeps us stocked with doggie-dropping bags.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Neither, as much as possible. DH goes to 2-3 conferences per year and brings home tote bags from most, if not all, of them, so I have a few canvas bags in the car and try to remember to bring them into the store with me. The real challenge is remembering to take them back out to the car after unloading in the kitchen. DH brings home plastic bags from his own shopping, which keeps us stocked with doggie-dropping bags.
Me, too. But when I go to Target, I use the plastic bags because those bags are really good! A little thicker than most and don't generally have any holes at the seams. They get used for cat litter and to line our smaller trash cans in the house. They really got a work out when we all had the flu and every kid had a small trash can next to the bed in case they didn't make it to the bathroom quick enough to throw up!
Old 02-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to muzzlet
I use canvas tote bags at the grocery store. I just feel kinda weird toting them into Target or Wal-Mart! Plus, I reuse the plastic bags I get in those places for the dirty kitty litter and lining wastebaskets.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
Master Chef

I use canvas bags for most all things I purchase from the store. (Some places like Kroger will give you 5 cents for each canvas bag your bring off your bill.) If I forget my bags which has happened on occasion, I opt for paper if I can't carry it out with my hands. The paper bags are then used to bundle up paper/cardboard for recycling.

What few plastic bags I end up with go back to the recycle bin at the store.