"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #381
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Beagle has her own form of yoga:

Attachment 18544
I didn't know dogs did yoga.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:46 AM   #382
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a visiting Great Dane for the next 7-14 days. He is 15 months' old and quite the character. It is as if I have a colt in the house. He can check out what is in the sink. Needless to say, the kitchen is "off limits" for him. He's recovering from surgery. He will travel to southern Ontario and his rescue group once the vet gives him the okay at the end of the week/early next week.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #383
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have a visiting Great Dane for the next 7-14 days. He is 15 months' old and quite the character. It is as if I have a colt in the house. He can check out what is in the sink. Needless to say, the kitchen is "off limits" for him. He's recovering from surgery. He will travel to southern Ontario and his rescue group once the vet gives him the okay at the end of the week/early next week.
I think that's as long as I could handle a Great Dane.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #384
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I think that's as long as I could handle a Great Dane.
My neighbor in Texas had a Great Dane. When they moved and left the state, they just left him to roam and fend for himself. He was such a woose. Scared of everything. I fed him for a while, then had to call the dog pound to come and get him. When the guy came to get him, he called by name and jumped right into the seat of the truck. No cage for him. Everyone in town knew the dog, but no one would take him. Too bad. They finally found a ranch family about 10 miles out of town that took him. The last I heard he was great at taking care of the coyotes that came for the cattle.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #385
Chef Extraordinaire

This one is NOT meeting the girls. I don't know that he would hurt them, but I'm not willing to chance it. They are big babies...much harder to have in the house than a Saint. The only place he can't reach is inside the microwave...but that is because he hasn't had time to figure out how to open it. Needless to say, he spends a lot of time attached to a leash that is attached to me. I didn't realize how small the bathroom really was until I tried to close the door with the two of us in there...
Old 08-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #386
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
This one is NOT meeting the girls. I don't know that he would hurt them, but I'm not willing to chance it. They are big babies...much harder to have in the house than a Saint. The only place he can't reach is inside the microwave...but that is because he hasn't had time to figure out how to open it. Needless to say, he spends a lot of time attached to a leash that is attached to me. I didn't realize how small the bathroom really was until I tried to close the door with the two of us in there...
Is there no one place in the house that you could put him and leave him there? Do you have a child fence that you could put in a doorway? It does sound like you are having fun with him though. Just out of curiosity has he finished growing? Good luck!
Old 08-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #387
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Like Addie, I'm wondering if you have a dog-proof room to keep him in...so you can relax. I know you are loving having him for a bit.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #388
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Like Addie, I'm wondering if you have a dog-proof room to keep him in...so you can relax. I know you are loving having him for a bit.
I have a 4 ft x 4 ft pen set up in the livingroom. I do have an empty room, but he might get into trouble there. As long as he can see me, he's quite content to be in the crate when I'm in the kitchen. I also have two permanent gates, but nothing to keep him out of the kitchen, so for now, he lives in the 4x4. His rescue folks just dropped off more food. I took advantage of their visit to do some "door manners" with the pony. I also demonstrated how he goes in the crate and sits and waits for his food and sits and waits to be released from the crate. They were impressed--he's only been at CWS' K9 bootcamp for 24 hours. Give me 7 days and he will be so well mannered <g>.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:12 PM   #389
Master Chef

Quote:
... The only place he can't reach is inside the microwave...but that is because he hasn't had time to figure out how to open it....I also demonstrated how he goes in the crate and sits and waits for his food and sits and waits to be released from the crate. They were impressed--he's only been at CWS' K9 bootcamp for 24 hours. Give me 7 days and he will be so well mannered <g>.
When he DOES learn how to open the microwave be sure you show him how to set up the cook time before he pushes the "start" button. Then it will be time to show him how to prep veggies. I mean if he's going to be there he may as well be put to work! Now to find an appropriately sized apron...

If nothing else, I'm sure you'll be entertaining us with your adventures with King Dane.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #390
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think she should hook him up to an egg cart to deliver Farm FRESH Eggs...