Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is saddening to read both CWS and Laurie and your doggies are having sad times. This is so hard for you all. I don't look to these days when a new family member arrives. I look to this day and this day and all the days we have together are good and important days. I don't know why, since I never met either of you, I am shaking and have foggy eyes to type this and a lump in my throat too. I guess, Just {{hugs}} is all I can offer too. Fred
Thanks. Za-Za is not leaving today, soon, but not today. She's had two good days and she's not in pain (and I'm not ready).

It's time. Za-Za and I are spending the next few days cuddling. She's getting lots of good treats. Dr. J. will be coming on either Thursday or Friday. After a glass of wine, I was able to write the email asking when she was available this week. Fortunately, Za-Za is not in pain and is still eating, peeing, pooping, interested in life, barking at me to help her get up. But, when you have a 125 lb Saint Bernard who can no longer walk (it is a degenerative problem) and you are on a limited budget and know you have to go out of town at the end of April, well, choices are limited. And, when it is a degenerative disease for which there are no drugs that really help improve things, you have to say good bye. I have never been one to make the knee-jerk decision to say good bye if the dog was not in pain. She's not in pain. I am in pain, but she is not. LP--hugs to you. I know how hard it has been and how hard it is to come home and put things away. To think 24 hours ago...a week ago...I've walked this path many times, but this is the first time the dog has had a degenerative disease. The other times the reasons were cut and dry. This time, it is really hard. She is also the last one of the pack...I'll miss her so.

We always wish we had had "one more day." I'm taking those days and holding the memories in my heart.

Last edited:
It's time. Za-Za and I are spending the next few days cuddling. She's getting lots of good treats. Dr. J. will be coming on either Thursday or Friday. After a glass of wine, I was able to write the email asking when she was available this week. Fortunately, Za-Za is not in pain and is still eating, peeing, pooping, interested in life, barking at me to help her get up. But, when you have a 125 lb Saint Bernard who can no longer walk (it is a degenerative problem) and you are on a limited budget and know you have to go out of town at the end of April, well, choices are limited. And, when it is a degenerative disease for which there are no drugs that really help improve things, you have to say good bye. I have never been one to make the knee-jerk decision to say good bye if the dog was not in pain. She's not in pain. I am in pain, but she is not. LP--hugs to you. I know how hard it has been and how hard it is to come home and put things away. To think 24 hours ago...a week ago...I've walked this path many times, but this is the first time the dog has had a degenerative disease. The other times the reasons were cut and dry. This time, it is really hard. She is also the last one of the pack...I'll miss her so.

We always wish we had had "one more day." I'm taking those days and holding the memories in my heart.

Having had to scoop up and hold two cockers and a dalmation in order to potty them when their back legs didn't work anymore, I totally understand, CWS. Bless you and Za-Za.

Last edited:
CWS sometimes it is very difficult to make and carry out the right decision. Give AZ Az a hug from me. :angel:

{{{{{{{{{{{{{CWS & Za-Za}}}}}}}}}}}}}

You are both in my heart, thoughts and prayers. I am so thankful that the decision of putting Joie down was taken out of my hands. I know how hard it has been for you. We decided last Friday night (Feb 22) that we would have to take him in the morning and the decision was taken out of our hands at 2:15 am when he slipped away peacefully in his sleep. Violet found him and woke TB.

I want you to know I am here for you. I know you are taking time away but if you see this, please feel free to PM or email me at any time.

Enjoy your time with her the best that you can. I know that won't be easy but she will be happy just to have you there.

Hooty.. 10635_275095035626_667853_n.jpg

4592_99766437400_4200626_n.jpg

What beautiful markings. He is a stunner to look at. You want to reach in the pic and just hug him. :angel:

What beautiful markings. He is a stunner to look at. You want to reach in the pic and just hug him. :angel:
He get's lots of hugs. And is a bit of a lap dog wannabe because of it. Unfortunately, though, he has cluster seizures every few months. They can last up to 3 hours. It is a pretty horrendous thing. We have to hang on to him so he doesn't hurt himself. He has knocked down lots of furniture, and he can get limbs caught and twisted in just about any crack or under a couch or door. We have devised a method where we put him in an old sleeping bag and I lay spooning, or straddling him to stop him from flailing around and hurting himself. He goes blind during this and once it is over and he regains his ability to function, he is so exhausted that he lays around for a day or two. It's a very sad and unfortunate thing to have to go through for all of us..

Last edited:
He get's lots of hugs. And is a bit of a lap dog wannabe because of it. Unfortunately, though, he has cluster seizures every few months. They can last up to 3 hours. It is a pretty horrendous thing. We have to hang on to him so he doesn't hurt himself. He has knocked down lots of furniture, and he can get limbs caught and twisted in just about any crack or under a couch or door. We have devised a method where we put him in an old sleeping bag and I lay spooning, or straddling him to stop him from flailing around and hurting himself. He goes blind during this and once it is over and he regains his ability to function, he is so exhausted that he lays around for a day or two. It's a very sad and unfortunate thing to have to go through for all of us..
That's a shame. Isn't there anything the vet can do?

No. It is epilepsy. They will sell you meds but any research I have done tells me they don't really help.

My sister has had 3 goldens now with epilepsy. Her first dog would not do well on the medications, but the two she has now are both doing much better. One is on phenobarbitol and the other is on gabapentin and Valproic Acid, both of which I am on!

Aww, poor Hooty. He's beautiful. My cockers both had seizures, but not to the extent you describe, Rock. Hope you can find something that will help.

I was sitting at my desk today and when I turned around there was a strange doggie sitting there waiting for me. I still don't know where she came from or even what breed, she had the muzzle and ear shape of a corgi, but the hair of a short haired dachshund, just a bit rounder, think Corgi with short brown fur. I gave her a Milk-bone and off she ran.

I was sitting at my desk today and when I turned around there was a strange doggie sitting there waiting for me. I still don't know where she came from or even what breed, she had the muzzle and ear shape of a corgi, but the hair of a short haired dachshund, just a bit rounder, think Corgi with short brown fur. I gave her a Milk-bone and off she ran.

My next door neighbor who Teddy hates, always grabs a handful of Milk Bone at the bank for Teddy. He loves them. I have to find a way for him to accept her. Everytime she goes in or out of her apartment, he barks up a storm. Not good bahavior in a place for the elderly. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom