"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #1131
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i used to wonder why so few people bother to extend a welcome post to the newbies at dc....
Sometimes I have been away from the computer for a while busy doing something else. When I come back, there are a plethora of messages to get through. Sometimes I have to backtrack to see what the subject is. So I don't always extend a welcome. But when I do, I try to make enough of a comment that they will want to stick around.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #1132
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I only do a welcome to DC post when I have a reply or comment to make. So many people sign up, make a post or two, then never return.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #1133
Sous Chef

Thank you all for your recommendations and general support. I got on before work yesterday and read a lot of the responses, but decided to call my pediatrician's office and didn't get a chance to come back and comment. They said it's fairly normal for separation anxiety to pop up again at this age, even if it hasn't been a problem before. They are concerned with the strong emotional reactions to everything else. I spoke to a nurse and she said she wanted to discuss it with the pediatrician and that the ped should be calling me back some time today. Of course, the rules of the universe, yesterday really wasn't bad. We had a bit of obstinacy and a couple crocodile tears here and there, but nothing like we've been seeing.
I took Alix's suggestion before I left for work. About an hour before I put on a necklace that I know she particularly likes and is fairly durable. I subtly made sure she saw that I was wearing it. Then, when she started to get sad when my BIL came over to watch them, I took the necklace off and asked her if she wanted to wear "Mommy's special necklace" until I come home from work to get it. She still cried, but she calmed down and my BIL said she didn't really have any problems after I left. I told her before bed time that if she could try really hard to just close her eyes and go to sleep and not make a big fuss, we'd go on a special play date tomorrow (today). I also reminded her like every night that Daddy would come in and give her hugs and kisses when he got home from work, whether she was awake or asleep. She was fine. She teared up a little, but none even fell. She was awake for a good hour before she fell asleep (another story there) but seemed reasonable happy the entire time.
Today she seems more relaxed too. We've have a couple tears and a couple hollers, but again, no big crying fits.
I appreciate that the two things I tried seemed to work, but honestly, this almost confuses me more. It's like she was a different child for 2 weeks and now seems to be mostly back to normal again. Just like that. I guess we'll see what the pediatrician has to say and how the next few days go.

Alix, I'll see if our library has the book.
Also, I'm not sure about the hand-washing at the babysitter's because I wasn't actually there, but she's crying about all kinds of strange things. Some are normal things that she tends to dislike anyway and she's just reacting much more intensely, some are things that she usually likes.
Thank you again for all the input. I'm sorry if I didn't answer someone's question, but we had a very loud thunderstorm that kept waking me all night and my brain is a bit mushy today!
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #1134
Everymom

Sprout, that's just the nature of kids. Fine one minute and nuts the next. Or love lima beans one day and the next they are awful. I think they are just about keeping us a bit off balance!

I'm glad something helped, and I'm hopeful that she will settle a bit in the days to come. Hugs you sweet lady, this can't have been an easy time for you.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #1135
Sous Chef

Thank you. We're back to the crying again. We'll see the doctor next week. In the mean time it's just patience and prayer, I guess. I'm sure we'll survive it! Everyone else does.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #1136
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Please, pretty pretty please can someone make it go away!!!!
I'm not talking about the voices in my head, I like those
Old 04-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #1137
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I bought a pair of jeans yesterday. They have nice deep front pockets. They have real back pockets. They are traditional rise. They have a bit of spandex, so they are quite comfortable. So, what am I venting about? Muffin top and my bum seems even flatter. Gonna have to do some exercising when tax season is over.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #1138
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I bought a pair of jeans yesterday. They have nice deep front pockets. They have real back pockets. They are traditional rise. They have a bit of spandex, so they are quite comfortable. So, what am I venting about? Muffin top and my bum seems even flatter. Gonna have to do some exercising when tax season is over.
I would return the jeans!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #1139
Chef Extraordinaire

He he
Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #1140
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I would return the jeans!
It's not the fault of the jeans. It's just that they fit well enough that I notice the flattish bum. Heck, I've been trying to find jeans with decent pockets for a couple of years. I don't think this store takes returns. The jeans were $5!