Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I get accused of hoarding food in the freezers as well. I have a new rule for buying anything fresh (produce/fruit). I have to eat it within 2 days and until I eat it, I can't buy anything else. Right now I'm working on a pineapple...bought three on special before I remembered the juicer was in the "shop." I juice stuff--oranges, limes, apples, spinach, carrots, etc., and put the juices in the freezer...that way, I don't through out produce and fruit <g>. And, then I have juice for breakfast or lunch.

Last edited:
Glad to hear things are going better Rock. Yes, that is one beautiful doggie. Dogs and porcupines, what a PITA. Is it his first run-in?

This is his first run in with a porcupine. He, I should say we, went a couple of rounds with a tough old Muskrat a couple of summers ago, which left him with a good scar on his lip. That's a good story.

I get accused of hoarding food in the freezers as well. I have a new rule for buying anything fresh (produce/fruit). I have to eat it within 2 days and until I eat it, I can't buy anything else. Right now I'm working on a pineapple...bought three on special before I remembered the juicer was in the "shop." I juice stuff--oranges, limes, apples, spinach, carrots, etc., and put the juices in the freezer...that way, I don't through out produce and fruit <g>. And, then I have juice for breakfast or lunch.
I'm having fun trying to convince my husband who thinks he is Chef Tell that food stored in the freezer will not spoil!!!! He cleaned my house freezer of all the frozen garlic,basil,parsley I picked up at Trader Joes, bless his heart. Now I get to buy more:LOL: plus he tossed the chicken I was going to roast tomorrow.Blah, bleep, boo, the Man has a very hard head. He feels he knows it all
kadesma:mad:

When we finally got rid of the chest freezer last fall we found several packaged meat dated at least 2 years old buried at the bottom of the freezer.
I never understood my wife's logic in keeping fully stocked to the max two full sized refrigerators and a large chest freezer in a 2 person household.

I hoard meat in my freezer also. What I do to try and control the inventory is I store different meats in their own crates. I use milk crates for chicken(I have different packs like whole, half, pieces, breasts), one plastic container for assorted fish, another milk crate for beef products, and a larger container for my pork products(this one needs to be longer to accomodate the rediculous amount of ribs I somehow feel I need). I try and label everything with a piece of masking tape and a sharpie with the date that it went in there. Every so often I pull a container out and rummage through it , bringing the old stock to the top and refamiliarizing myself with what exactly I have.

Last edited:
This is his first run in with a porcupine. He, I should say we, went a couple of rounds with a tough old Muskrat a couple of summers ago, which left him with a good scar on his lip. That's a good story.

We love stories.:LOL: Who won, your pup or the muskrat?

We love stories.:LOL: Who won, your pup or the muskrat?
I came home from a gig early one morning, about 2:30. I usually let the dog out for a quick pee while I load my gear in and get ready for bed. While he was outside I took off my clothes and threw them down the basement stairs where the laundry room is. So, just then, I heard my dog barking. I was emmediatley scared because Malamutes rarely bark. It was only the second time I every heard him bark. I ran out back to see that he had this hissing muskrat on our deck. The Muskrat was the aggressor because he ran at our dog and latched on to his snout. My dog was spinning and yelping and this muskrat was hanging on for dear life with his teeth, going round and round. I ran in the house and grabbed the first thing I could, which was a cheap broom. Anyway, back out to the deck I went in nothing but my boxers. The Muskrat had let go, and he was about 10 feet from me and started to run at me. I was wacking at it like crazy and ened up breaking the broom handle in half, jumping up and down so he wouldn't bite my feet. My dog grabbed him by the back with his teeth and whipped him off of the deck. He then ran and lunged off of the deck, body slamming the Muskrat. I ran back in to grab something else and found a shovel. My dog had backed away and the Muskrat lay motionless. I figured he had knocked him out. I quicly unhooked my dog and led him in the house. I went back out to finish off the muskrat with the shovel and when I got there, it was gone. When I headed back to the deck stairs, the damn thing came at me again from under the deck. It was dark and I couldn't really see well, and I was pretty scared by then, so I turned and ran out of my yard and into the street. In my boxer shorts. With a shovel. Anyway, the thing ended up running away and I never saw it again. It took a decent chunk of flesh out of my dogs mouth, which he recovered fine from, but still has a scar. Me, well, I'm just glad that nobody was up to see me running around in my back yard and the street in nothing but my underwear and socks.:LOL:

Last edited:
I came home from a gig early one morning, about 2:30. I usually let the dog out for a quick pee while I load my gear in and get ready for bed. While he was outside I took off my clothes and threw them down the basement stairs where the laundry room is. So, just then, I heard my dog barking. I was emmediatley scared because Malamutes rarely bark. It was only the second time I every heard him bark. I ran out back to see that he had this hissing muskrat on our deck. The Muskrat was the aggressor because he ran at our dog and latched on to his snout. My dog was spinning and yelping and this muskrat was hanging on for dear life with his teeth, going round and round. I ran in the house and grabbed the first thing I could, which was a cheap broom. Anyway, back out to the deck I went in nothing but my boxers. The Muskrat had let go, and he was about 10 feet from me and started to run at me. I was wacking at it like crazy and ened up breaking the broom handle in half, jumping up and down so he wouldn't bite my feet. My dog grabbed him by the back with his teeth and whipped him off of the deck. He then ran and lunged off of the deck, body slamming the Muskrat. I ran back in to grab something else and found a shovel. My dog had backed away and the Muskrat lay motionless. I figured he had knocked him out. I quicly unhooked my dog and led him in the house. I went back out to finish off the muskrat with the shovel and when I got there, it was gone. When I headed back to the deck stairs, the damn thing came at me again from under the deck. It was dark and I couldn't really see well, and I was pretty scared by then, so I turned and ran out of my yard and into the street. In my boxer shorts. With a shovel. Anyway, the thing ended up running away and I never saw it again. It took a decent chunk of flesh out of my dogs mouth, which he recovered fine from, but still has a scar. Me, well, I'm just glad that nobody was up to see me running around in my back yard and the street in nothing but my underwear and socks.:LOL:

Especially swinging a broom or shovel.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Thanks for the story and the laugh.

I came home from a gig early one morning, about 2:30. I usually let the dog out for a quick pee while I load my gear in and get ready for bed. ...Me, well, I'm just glad that nobody was up to see me running around in my back yard and the street in nothing but my underwear and socks.:LOL:

Okay, I need a new keybaord, one without root beer all over it!

Thanks for the laugh!

Do they normally attack like that? As mad as he seemed to be and the fact that he kept coming back, I'd have been worried that he might have rabies.

Do they normally attack like that? As mad as he seemed to be and the fact that he kept coming back, I'd have been worried that he might have rabies.
This is what I initialy thought, also. We called the vet the next morning and she told us that she was almost positive that there were no rabies. Before rabies shows up in larger mammals of a certain area, it is detected long before in the bat population of that region. There hadn't been any rabies detected in our area in quite a while, so she was confident that this muskrat had no rabies. She told us to keep an eye on him and bring him in emmediately if we saw any odd behaviour. Which, we did and time passed and everything turned out fine.

Last edited:
Too funny (the chasing the muskrat with a shovel...), not that he attacked your dog. I haven't heard of muskrats attacking domestic pets...or people.

Must be my week. My students (3) informed me at 840am that they weren't coming to my 900am class today. I was already in my office and reading my email. Grrrr! I wouldn't have minded not coming in today and staying home with my kids. (Spring Break for my kids, but not for my college classes)

I'm going to take a deep breath, look at the bright side of things, (like getting paid for posting at DC :LOL:) and then head home. Lordy I can't wait for this week to be over. Its been a fun one.

Must be my week. My students (3) informed me at 840am that they weren't coming to my 900am class today. I was already in my office and reading my email. Grrrr! I wouldn't have minded not coming in today and staying home with my kids. (Spring Break for my kids, but not for my college classes)

I'm going to take a deep breath, look at the bright side of things, (like getting paid for posting at DC :LOL:) and then head home. Lordy I can't wait for this week to be over. Its been a fun one.

I am on my way to work...see if there is anything for me to do today! Although it is kinda fun to float from place to place, helping put out little fires here and there.

Too funny (the chasing the muskrat with a shovel...), not that he attacked your dog. I haven't heard of muskrats attacking domestic pets...or people.

Yeah, I agree. I'm thinking somehow the muskrat got up on the deck without seeing the dog, who has a long rope and can reach around the corner of the house. Maybe whent he dog came around he cornered the muskrat and it was acting out of self defence. I had just used my smoker that day and had yet to clean it, so it was probably smelling pretty good. Maybe that is why the thing came up in the first place to check it out.

I keep waiting for someone to pay me to post at DC, but so far no luck. :mrgreen:

When my students would come to me and say "I'm not going to be in class today, is that okay?" I would respond. "That's fine. I get paid whether you are in class or not." You should have seen the look on their faces. :ohmy:

was in a fabric store today. my granddaughter and great granddaughter were with me. the granddaughter was on the floor playing with some pamphlets. a man ( in a wheelchair) called it to my granddaughter's attention. we knew what she was doing and there was no harm in it. so we left her alone. the man said, if she had been in my store, when i had it. i would have charged for those. pamphlets no less. it really frosted me, i said " well how wonderful for you" i was still angry. granddaughter said let it go. he should have minded his own business. if she were playing with stuff that was for sale, we would have stopped her. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Back
Top Bottom