"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #321
Executive Chef

let me add a bit more information to the above scenario: you are short 10 vicoden pills and 10 of another drug that same day. the second drug has no apparent street value to your knowledge. how would you handle this situation?

Old 10-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #322
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
if you were shorted on a prescription drug, and if that drug was vicoden, would you think it was a deliberate steal, or an honest mistake? then, if you were shorted on another prescription medication in the same exact way, what would be your thinking then? if you knew it was the pharmacist himself/herself that filled both rxes, would that change your perspective? if changing drug stores was not an option, what if anything would you do in order to make sure of a correct count in your future prescriptions?
I always assume an honest mistake, unless it becomes frequent. There must be a manager of some type you can speak to about it. Diversion of medications is the easiest way for someone to steal meds. Maybe I would insist on counting them before leaving the store..

Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 PM   #323
Executive Chef

I would absolutely count them right in front of the pharmacy person before leaving. Once you step away they could say you took them.

I actually had this happen when I was charged with picking presecriptions for my late father in law. The first time we thought innocent mistake, 2nd time began to wonder, 3rd time .. no way. 4th time I opened the bottle right then and there and counted them out and sure enough .. short.

Better to assume an error but repetition is not a mistake.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #324
Executive Chef

pf and mrslmb, thank you both for your sound and sensible advice.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:00 AM   #325
Master Chef

Quote:
let me add a bit more information to the above scenario: you are short 10 vicoden pills and 10 of another drug that same day. the second drug has no apparent street value to your knowledge. how would you handle this situation?
You could go back to the pharmacy and complain, if it was a mistake they can pick it up on their stockfile every pill and capsule is captured on the system when they receive it.
It may have been an honest mistake, sometimes patient are prescribed less than a full package of medication. From personal experience I know that mistakes can be made. Pharmacist mark opened boxes to prevent other pharmacist from dispensing them by accident but sometimes people forget to mark them.
Even if someone did take the meds it doesn't mean it was the Pharmacist than dispensed it to you. It could have been an assistant or intern.
Medication should be checked infront of patients and if not you should check before you pay for meds.
Mistakes happen, pharmacies get busy. I know on my worst day as a pharmacist I dispensed over 1000 prescriptions in one day.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #326
Executive Chef

1000 rxes in one day is an enormous amount! how could you not make mistakes at such a pace? i didn't understand what you were saying regarding the stockfile, snip, and how that would be a way of checking a mistake in an rx count? what exactly is a stockfile, and how would it work? are the pills counted or weighed on scales? it would be good to get to the bottom of this rather sizable irregularity.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #327
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
1000 rxes in one day is an enormous amount! how could you not make mistakes at such a pace? i didn't understand what you were saying regarding the stockfile, snip, and how that would be a way of checking a mistake in an rx count? what exactly is a stockfile, and how would it work? are the pills counted or weighed on scales? it would be good to get to the bottom of this rather sizable irregularity.

Vicoden is a narcotic medication, their stock has to match the amount dispensed by federal law. If they have 100 tabs at opening, they must have 50 left if they dispensed 50 to a customer. The beginning and ending numbers MUST match.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #328
Master Chef

Quote:
I made a few small mistakes when I started working but honestly not even 1 after a few months of working there. You get so used to it that you can tell what a medication is without the package. We often had stray pills that fell out and I could identify them all just by look. We were not allowed to use the meds that were not in packages for patients but since we all knew exactly what they were, we put them in our first aid kit at work.
A stockfile is the record of all products that are in the pharmacy. When we receive an item it is captured on the computer system.
As a pharmacist you can then type in the name of any medication and the stockfile will show how many of that item are in store. Does this help?
So if you go back and say they gave you less they can check.
For example if they type in Vicodin and the stockfile says there are 500 Vicodin's in store but there are actually 510 then they can see you didn't receive your meds.

We did stocktaking once a month. Physically counted each pill and capsule by hand. Once a week assistants would also count as much as possible to double check amount.
Pain in the behind
This is why I no longer work in a pharmacy, very stressfull and loads of responsibility!
You have to make sure to give all the right meds, read scripts from Dr's that sometimes write so badly that you can't tell what meds to give, mix liquid antibiotics and meds that come in powder form with distilled water and make sure you get the quantities just right. Make sure you don't use measuring jugs that are meant for toxic fluids, check patient allergies so you don't kill anyone and the list goes on!!!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 01:50 AM   #329
Head Chef

I would never have that issue. Nobody would want the meds I take. I used Tylenol for pain management after Open Heart Surgery!!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #330
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I made a few small mistakes when I started working but honestly not even 1 after a few months of working there. You get so used to it that you can tell what a medication is without the package. We often had stray pills that fell out and I could identify them all just by look. We were not allowed to use the meds that were not in packages for patients but since we all knew exactly what they were, we put them in our first aid kit at work.
A stockfile is the record of all products that are in the pharmacy. When we receive an item it is captured on the computer system.
As a pharmacist you can then type in the name of any medication and the stockfile will show how many of that item are in store. Does this help?
So if you go back and say they gave you less they can check.
For example if they type in Vicodin and the stockfile says there are 500 Vicodin's in store but there are actually 510 then they can see you didn't receive your meds.

We did stocktaking once a month. Physically counted each pill and capsule by hand. Once a week assistants would also count as much as possible to double check amount.
Pain in the behind
This is why I no longer work in a pharmacy, very stressfull and loads of responsibility!
You have to make sure to give all the right meds, read scripts from Dr's that sometimes write so badly that you can't tell what meds to give, mix liquid antibiotics and meds that come in powder form with distilled water and make sure you get the quantities just right. Make sure you don't use measuring jugs that are meant for toxic fluids, check patient allergies so you don't kill anyone and the list goes on!!!
your description of the work you did as a pharmacist's aide(?) was interesting to read. i can see how the heavy responsibilities together with the speed and accuracy demands of such work would turn many workers away, particularly the sensitive or highly nervous types.

it's good to know that there is a way to catch mistakes such as the one i experienced with the pharmacist and the vicodin. in this instance it is just as important to me that the pharmacist can be made to see that i, the patient, am not just trying to score some extra vicodins.