Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since 2007, I've been going through finacial hell. I was accustomed to making a 6 figure plus income. The economy tanked and my business partner took me to court to get out of our partnership. I fought back (and won) but it cost me over 20K in legal fees. Then my mom got sick and I had to take care of her--I spent all my IRA savings for me to go home and take care of my mom. For those of you struggling, I know it is hard--been there, done that, still there, but nose to the grindstone. It can be done. I am paying off my legal bills on June 30th. And then, I can start paying back my family for helping me. It is tough--and it is depressing--it wakes you up at night. But, keep plugging at it. Supposedly, it does get better, and you have learned to be more frugal than you ever were (oh, goody).

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!! I'm so mad at myself. I was at the end of a lengthy recipe for au gratin potatoes, when I went to insert the degree sign ° without making sure the keypad was on numbers.

It gives me the degree sign, then takes me to my homepage.:ohmy: By the time I get back to my original post, it's blank. All Gone!:mad:

Thanks. I just needed to vent. I'll go back now and rewrite my recipe in Works and cut & paste to the forum.

Since 2007, I've been going through finacial hell. I was accustomed to making a 6 figure plus income. The economy tanked and my business partner took me to court to get out of our partnership. I fought back (and won) but it cost me over 20K in legal fees. Then my mom got sick and I had to take care of her--I spent all my IRA savings for me to go home and take care of my mom. For those of you struggling, I know it is hard--been there, done that, still there, but nose to the grindstone. It can be done. I am paying off my legal bills on June 30th. And then, I can start paying back my family for helping me. It is tough--and it is depressing--it wakes you up at night. But, keep plugging at it. Supposedly, it does get better, and you have learned to be more frugal than you ever were (oh, goody).

Been there although not at the 6 fiqure mark or even close. Once you get solvent again you may find that it's hard to ever go back to the way you lived before. In those times that I am feeling flush I still can't make myself spend money in ways that I won't do when I am feeling stretched thin. Frugality becomes a way of life.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!! I'm so mad at myself. I was at the end of a lengthy recipe for au gratin potatoes, when I went to insert the degree sign ° without making sure the keypad was on numbers.

It gives me the degree sign, then takes me to my homepage.:ohmy: By the time I get back to my original post, it's blank. All Gone!:mad:

Thanks. I just needed to vent. I'll go back now and rewrite my recipe in Works and cut & paste to the forum.

Oh, I hate it when that happens...;)

Oh, I hate it when that happens...;)

I know better. It's always better to do it in a document first, and then I can save that for a backup copy. I also know better about the degree sign, it's not the first time I've made that mistake, just one of the longer posts I was writing.

I rewrote it, I'm almost over it, and next time I'll be more careful.

Last edited:
I know better. It's always better to do it in a document first, and then I can save that for a backup copy. I also know better about the degree sign, it's not the first time I've made that mistake, just one of the longer posts I was writing.

I rewrote it, I'm almost over it, and next time I'll be more careful.

That's when I jump up and dance around the room, scaring the cats...let's the stress go right out of me...and I'm glad I live in the basement.:ROFLMAO:

My Cradlepoint router quit! I am so used to accessing DC and everything else from my IPad, was totally freaking out yesterday! AAARRGGHH! I have emailed Cradlepoint support, and they are usually helpful, but are prob on vaca like the rest of us. Driving me nuts! Luckily Verizon guided me through some basics, so am able to connect thru my PC. No Ipad! Sucks!!

My Cradlepoint router quit! I am so used to accessing DC and everything else from my IPad, was totally freaking out yesterday! AAARRGGHH! I have emailed Cradlepoint support, and they are usually helpful, but are prob on vaca like the rest of us. Driving me nuts! Luckily Verizon guided me through some basics, so am able to connect thru my PC. No Ipad! Sucks!!

Of course it quit... during a weekend, or a holiday, and most especially a holiday weekend!!! What better time for things to go wrong! Been there, experienced that a number of times through the years. I feel for you!

I had a starter in my car go out - while I was 70 miles away from home... at night... in the rain... no money... dead cell phone battery. It was a nightmare UNTIL God blessed me that evening with a kind young man with a AAA account who towed and dropped off my car at my own mechanic's shop, and even took me to my front door... all at no cost or hassle. Things can go terribly wrong, and yet turn out right at the same time.

Last edited:
Of course it quit... during a weekend, or a holiday, and most especially a holiday weekend!!! What better time for things to go wrong! Been there, experienced that a number of times through the years. I feel for you!

I had a starter in my car go out - while I was 70 miles away from home... at night... in the rain... no money... dead cell phone battery. It was a nightmare UNTIL God blessed me that evening with a kind young man with a AAA account who towed and dropped off my car at my own mechanic's shop, and even took me to my front door... all at no cost or hassle. Things can go terribly wrong, and yet turn out right at the same time.
You are right, Selkie. Need to keep things in perspective. Thinking about those poor folks ravaged by the tornadoes.

However, still ripping out handfuls of hair and screaming to the Computer Gods...:wacko:

women can give a look that men just can't seem to master. i remember my mom giving that look that made you know you were in trouble.

i apparently have a booming voice that has the same effect. i don't mean to laugh about it, but when my son or the scouts get out of hand, i use a bone rattling voice (sort of like the old guy in the movie "the dresser") that makes the little guys physically jump as if scared to death. then they behave.

for a few minutes. lol.

I had to laugh at this. Been in the military? It is called "command voice" and I learned it. I thought I'd lost the knack, but then last year I was walking to town to meet my husband, and saw him two blocks away and a little down hill from me. I just called his name, didn't think I was yelling, and he looked behind himself and was surprised to see I was a couple of blocks away. He later told me that he thought I had snuck up behind him, it sounded like I was right there. but when you do use it, it really does catch your attention!

I'm not venting--I'm crying. I've been involved with dog rescue since 1998. I've held more dogs in my arms as they've left this world than the average person. I lost my dear canine companion of 13 years in October. Tomorrow, I will say good-bye to yet another dear canine companion. She has a tumor on her spleen. She's 11. I can't afford the surgery (and even if I could, I don't know that I'd have it done on a Giant her age). I will miss her so. She talks--I kid you not. I make a noise, she makes almost the same noise back. She is what I call an "old soul." She is my "Barbie dog" (she loves to wear bandanas...she would wait for me to finish sewing one and then prance around the house...oh--I'll miss her). I moved my office this weekend upstairs because she can't do stairs anymore. I knew I wouldn't be able to work without her behind my chair and I knew our days were numbered--but I didn't think they were this numbered. At least now I have the money to pay the vet--last time, a friend had to loan me the money. And, I can let her go with dignity and respect in the arms of the person who loved her most.

Last edited:
Well I think we all have something to vent about. It a part of life I think lol. Im just trying not to let myself get all upset with my ADHD child. Any suggestions?

I'm so sorry for you both CWS4322. We've had to do that several times and are looking at more in the next few years as we have 4 seniors. The only good thing about it is at least we are able to give that kindness to our fur kids when it's too much bad stuff to continue to live.

I'm not venting--I'm crying. I've been involved with dog rescue since 1998. I've held more dogs in my arms as they've left this world than the average person. I lost my dear canine companion of 13 years in October. Tomorrow, I will say good-bye to yet another dear canine companion. She has a tumor on her spleen. She's 11. I can't afford the surgery (and even if I could, I don't know that I'd have it done on a Giant her age). I will miss her so. She talks--I kid you not. I make a noise, she makes almost the same noise back. She is what I call an "old soul." She is my "Barbie dog" (she loves to wear bandanas...she would wait for me to finish sewing one and then prance around the house...oh--I'll miss her). I moved my office this weekend upstairs because she can't do stairs anymore. I knew I wouldn't be able to work without her behind my chair and I knew our days were numbered--but I didn't think they were this numbered. At least now I have the money to pay the vet--last time, a friend had to loan me the money. And, I can let her go with dignity and respect in the arms of the person who loved her most.
CS,
I know how you're hueting,please know what you are going to do is th sweetest kindest thing you could do for your baby. I had to do it with my maggie the hurt is still there and it's been 5 years. I loved that dog to pieces and she loved only me.Time will soften the pain make it bearable and you will have dear memories to remember your baby. Be brave fill your heart with love take a picture and remember love will give you the courage to go forth.
kadesma

It's just I've done this so many times (I have more urns of ashes of rescue dogs...I've picked out hers...and made her chicken breast, broccoli, mushroom, cheese, tomatoes, and turkey gravy and pasta for her last supper...). It never gets easier. It is the greatest act of love to let her go--bleeding out is a very painful death and an image that remains with you. I've had two rescue dogs die that way while in the emerg clinic. I don't ever want to experience that again. My dear friend who is our rescue vet almost quit being a vet after the 2nd one.

Last edited:
I spilled half a dozen different things (coffee grounds, coffee, milk, water, cat food, detergent) the first hour I was up this morning, which was a portent of things to come.

Less than two hours later the computer monitor died a quick but painful death (to the tune of $173.62 to purchase a replacement), my prescription medicine wasn't ready at the pharmacy in spite of five days advance notice, and I then recieved a telephone call from a very close childhood friend reporting his mother had just passed away.

I've had better days!

I spilled half a dozen different things (coffee grounds, coffee, milk, water, cat food, detergent) the first hour I was up this morning, which was a portent of things to come.

Less than two hours later the computer monitor died a quick but painful death (to the tune of $173.62 to purchase a replacement), my prescription medicine wasn't ready at the pharmacy in spite of five days advance notice, and I then recieved a telephone call from a very close childhood friend reporting his mother had just passed away.

I've had better days!

Sorry about your bad day, Selkie. Hopefully you got it all on the one day and tomorrow will be wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom