Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PayPal is just so nice for online shopping and donations. The merchant gets the money, minus a fee, but they don't get any of my financial info. I don't much like giving out my CC# to stores all over the internet.

When I worked for KeyBank one of my jobs was to sort the mail. 90% of the mail was for payments toward college loans. :angel:

I'm Hungry!

I'm so hungry, but...

My feet, and ankles are really swollen, thanks to some things I ate yesterday.

Almost everything I have for food has salt in it. I'd love to eat something sweet instead, but diabetes 2 says that's npt a good idea either.

Grrrrrrrr!

The only things I can think of are frozen fresh broccoli, onions and/or sliced peppers.

I'd make a saute of them, but I'd have to use margarine, which has SALT in it.

Grrrrr!

I guess I'll just have a beer!

Last edited:
I'm so hungry, but...

My feet, and ankles are really swollen, thanks to some things I ate yesterday.

Almost everything I have for food has salt in it. I'd love to eat something sweet instead, but diabetes 2 says that's npt a good idea either.

Grrrrrrrr!

The only things I can think of are frozen fresh broccoli, onions and/or sliced peppers.

I'd make a sauté of them, but I'd have to use margarine, which has SALT in it.

Grrrrr!

I guess I'll just have a beer!

Has your doctor told you "no salt at all"? I have never been told "no salt, cut back on the salt, etc.". The only thing I have ever been told is to use my common sense when it comes to eating for a diabetic. I already knew about the carb intake. And my blood pressure has never been in the danger zone. Slightly elevated at times, but that is it. But then I have never been a salt person. I salt when I cook and the salt shaker stays on the shelf when I am eating. I do watch the sodium levels in the foods I buy. Even though I love chipped beef, I would never consider buying it now. It is cured in salt. And for that small jar, the price is now way out of my league. I no longer buy "cured" meats. And if I eat out, I don't even ask for the FF. Always a baked potato.

Have you considered butter with no salt? It is cheaper than butter "with" salt. :angel:

My BIL is always having problems with low sodium. Instead of getting to the bottom of the problem he just eats a lot of salty snacks. I think it is due to one of the meds he's on.

Addie, my doctor has never mentioned salt at all, my ankles tell me when I've had too much.

When they are swollen, I take B12 which helps a lot. It still takes a day or so to clear up, and only if I'm really careful with my salt intake.

I'd ask for a prescription for edema, but I had some for right after my last pregnancy, and they made me extremely irritable, so I don't want to try that again.

It just angered me that there are more things I have to add to my don't eat list. I'm getting used to that, I just keep adding more things to the list. No more chips, no more wheat pastas.

The wheat pastas were to be a substitute for regular pasta, but they are still carbs.

I'm gradually cutting out things that set my feet off (diabetic peripheral nerve pain). Gabapentin cuts out the pains, but it doesn't hellp my blood sugar, just the pain.

I was so frustrated when I wrote that "Grrr" post because I had treated myself to some chips and my ankles didn't approve! Of course, the major swelling in my ankles didn't really show up until the next day and by then I'd eater more chips.

Addie, my doctor has never mentioned salt at all, my ankles tell me when I've had too much.

When they are swollen, I take B12 which helps a lot. It still takes a day or so to clear up, and only if I'm really careful with my salt intake.

I'd ask for a prescription for edema, but I had some for right after my last pregnancy, and they made me extremely irritable, so I don't want to try that again.

It just angered me that there are more things I have to add to my don't eat list. I'm getting used to that, I just keep adding more things to the list. No more chips, no more wheat pastas.

The wheat pastas were to be a substitute for regular pasta, but they are still carbs.

I'm gradually cutting out things that set my feet off (diabetic peripheral nerve pain). Gabapentin cuts out the pains, but it doesn't hellp my blood sugar, just the pain.

I was so frustrated when I wrote that "Grrr" post because I had treated myself to some chips and my ankles didn't approve! Of course, the major swelling in my ankles didn't really show up until the next day and by then I'd eater more chips.

I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Oddly enough I had a doctor that failed to take care of her patients properly. It wasn't until I went to Elderly Services Plan that anyone cared how my diabetes was doing.

They gave me guidelines and told me how and what to watch for. They did give me quite an education in diabetes. But the important thing was they listened to me if I had a complaint. At first I was very resentful of what I conceived to be their intrusion into my life. I fought them at every turn. But the folks there were very patient and I came around. Now if I have any problem at all, even a hangnail, they are the first ones I call. I will never complain about my medical care again.

Right now they are concerned about my recent weight loss. I am very happy about it. If and when I go down past 95 lbs., then I will start to worry. That is the normal weight for my height. I haven't been this weight since I was in the seventh grade. ESP thinks there is something going on inside. There's not. It is me determined to lose the weight. Right now I will stay at the weight I am. It will get them off my back. Then after I go in for my March checkup, I will start to work on losing another ten pounds. That will bring me to about two pounds above my goal. Then I will tell them the truth. That I was deliberately losing the weight on my own. Nothing wrong.

ESP worries about everything that is going on with me. I get the mark and blue (childrenese) blacks that come from being on two blood thinners. They check them every visit. They check my skin head to toe. My skin graft that I had done almost nine years ago. I am thrilled with it and take excellent care. They examine it as if I am about to lose my leg again. But I keep my mouth shut being grateful for their care. :angel:

I was just reading the thread by Kleenex about the sneaky snack bags that contain less product for the same price. That reminded me of the pair of jeans I bought recently. I would like to have had the old-fashioned Granny style with a waist line that comes to your waist. These were slightly low-rise and I guess they'll do. I realized, though, that because of the change in styles the manufacturer uses less material which must save some money but the price keeps going up. And the pockets on these pants are only about half-size -- another saving on material but the pockets hold hardly anything.

I was just reading the thread by Kleenex about the sneaky snack bags that contain less product for the same price. That reminded me of the pair of jeans I bought recently. I would like to have had the old-fashioned Granny style with a waist line that comes to your waist. These were slightly low-rise and I guess they'll do. I realized, though, that because of the change in styles the manufacturer uses less material which must save some money but the price keeps going up. And the pockets on these pants are only about half-size -- another saving on material but the pockets hold hardly anything.

Years ago a soldier sent a suggestion to the Department of the Army telling them how they could save thousands of dollars. Do away the pocket watch on the pants. No one carries a pocket watch anymore. The suggestion was carried out and sent to all the military departments. The soldier received a very nice size check for the suggestion and millions of tax dollars in the following years were saved.

Who would of thought such a small piece of material was costing so much. :angel:

Last edited:
Not only the materials, Addie, but the time/cost involved in setting that small pocket in just right. Not as easy as a simple seam.

...sneaky snack bags that contain less product for the same price...
Everything is being reduced in size or volume so that they don't have to increase the price - but they do. :glare: My latest complaint is about the width of a roll of toilet paper. Once upon a time, that roll extended nearly edge-to-edge on the holder. Now? Well let's just say if the TP roll gets any narrower, things could get...interesting. :mrgreen:

...Everything is being reduced in size or volume so that they don't have to increase the price - but they do. :glare: My latest complaint is about the width of a roll of toilet paper. Once upon a time, that roll extended nearly edge-to-edge on the holder. Now? Well let's just say if the TP roll gets any narrower, things could get...interesting. :mrgreen:

I've also noticed that facial tissues are shorter.

Actually, the Market Basket location that I shop at prices salted or unsalted (sweet) butter the same. It' only brand-to-brand where the price changes. But all "Market Basket" or "Land o' Lakes" or "whatever brand" is the same price for both with and without salt.

Actually, the Market Basket location that I shop at prices salted or unsalted (sweet) butter the same. It' only brand-to-brand where the price changes. But all "Market Basket" or "Land o' Lakes" or "whatever brand" is the same price for both with and without salt.

Same here, both salted and unsalted are the same price whether in the grocery store or club stores. I buy unsalted for baking. I buy Kerrygold for spreading on toast and of course, that is quite a bit more expensive, but Costco helps ease the pain on price!

My siblings are useless.

My mom is building a house in SC. The deal that she had with my brother was that he would drive a moving truck with her stuff in it down to SC once her house was finished in exchange for her old car (it's very fuel efficient, in great shape and he does a lot of driving). Well he has informed her that he isn't going to hold up his end of the bargain. :mad: My mom has done a lot to help him in recent years financially to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars (most of which has been paid back), she also set up a legal owner financing on her house and business for him at 0% interest (for the record, I've been out of the house for 20 years and haven't borrowed a dime :))

I have a feeling that I'm gonna have to fly north and get her stuff and drive it 23 hours. I'd rather have dental surgery... But I can't leave my mom hanging with no furniture in her new house.

My sister told her that she had some furniture for her, but then informed her that she wanted over four thousand dollars for it.

I don't get it.

My siblings are useless.

My mom is building a house in SC. The deal that she had with my brother was that he would drive a moving truck with her stuff in it down to SC once her house was finished in exchange for her old car (it's very fuel efficient, in great shape and he does a lot of driving). Well he has informed her that he isn't going to hold up his end of the bargain. :mad: My mom has done a lot to help him in recent years financially to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars (most of which has been paid back), she also set up a legal owner financing on her house and business for him at 0% interest (for the record, I've been out of the house for 20 years and haven't borrowed a dime :))

I have a feeling that I'm gonna have to fly north and get her stuff and drive it 23 hours. I'd rather have dental surgery... But I can't leave my mom hanging with no furniture in her new house.

My sister told her that she had some furniture for her, but then informed her that she wanted over four thousand dollars for it.

I don't get it.
Bummer (((hugs)))

Just remember you should never be embarrassed by relatives. We all know you didn't choose them. ;)

My siblings are useless.

I don't get it.

I have a sister like that. My brother though, is always there if Mom and Dad need help. I have a feeling we will be moving back to Eastern Wyoming in the near future, Shrek wants to be closer to his brothers and it will get me closer to M&D.

I feel for you, Bakechef. I have a really nasty sister who took any opportunity she could to stick it to Mom.

You'll be happy that you helped your mom out, even though it will be a PITA.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom