"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-13-2015, 01:08 PM   #4161
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Jury duty tomorrow.......bummer..... Hopefully it'll be just tomorrow only. :)
I posted this sometime ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Dawg, speaking of jury duty, I'm sitting here thinking "I'm free at last" after a solid week. I was put on a jury late last Wed. and we came to a verdict just before noon today. I counted up today how many times I have been called over the years, and I have shown up 21 times and served on four criminal trials including this one. I don't begrudge any time I've served, but stick a fork in me, I'm done.
I'll turn 70 next month (gulp, shudder) and in this state one is no longer required to serve if one doesn't feel up to it at that age. I still feel up to snorkeling, but it's time to retire my "juror" badge and let them call someone else.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #4162
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That was in Gander, Newfoundland and Labrador, wasn't it? For reasons that I don't really understand, Newfoundland and Larbrador (one province) is not considered to be one of the Maritime Provinces. It is grouped with the Maritime Provinces under the name, "Atlantic Canada".
Which one has the big explosion on the waterfront? They send us the tree every year as a 'thank you' for sending relief supplies immediately. It could have been Halifax. Where is that located?

I have enough trouble trying to remember how to go two blocks to the bus stop right here. I do remember we studied it in the fourth grade. I also remember we were taught that all the islands in that area are called the Maritime due to all the activity on their waterfronts. And when Phil was fishing out of Boston he always referred it to as the Maritimes. The boat would sometimes tie up in the Bay of Fundy. He hated going there. If he got drunk and it was low tide, he didn't do to well getting back on the boat. Of course that was all before 9/11 and you didn't need an ID to go ashore. We were all friendly neighbors then.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:34 PM   #4163
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Which one has the big explosion on the waterfront? They send us the tree every year as a 'thank you' for sending relief supplies immediately. It could have been Halifax. Where is that located? ...

Boston gets its Christmas tree from Halifax, Nova Scotia every year.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #4164
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Which one has the big explosion on the waterfront? They send us the tree every year as a 'thank you' for sending relief supplies immediately. It could have been Halifax. Where is that located?
Yup, there was a devastating explosion in Halifax in 1917. Halifax is in Nova Scotia, which is a Maritime Province.
Quote:
I have enough trouble trying to remember how to go two blocks to the bus stop right here. I do remember we studied it in the fourth grade. I also remember we were taught that all the islands in that area are called the Maritime due to all the activity on their waterfronts. And when Phil was fishing out of Boston he always referred it to as the Maritimes. The boat would sometimes tie up in the Bay of Fundy. He hated going there. If he got drunk and it was low tide, he didn't do to well getting back on the boat. Of course that was all before 9/11 and you didn't need an ID to go ashore. We were all friendly neighbors then.
Newfoundland and Labrador became part of Canada and became a province in 1949. Maybe they hadn't decided if it was a Maritime Province or not yet when you were in the fourth grade. It certainly is maritime (with a lower case "m").

The Bay of Fundy (World's biggest tidal range) is the bay between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. A small part of the bay actually touches Maine. Yes, that is "The Maritimes" (with a capital M"").
Old 04-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #4165
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yup, there was a devastating explosion in Halifax in 1917. Halifax is in Nova Scotia, which is a Maritime Province.
Newfoundland and Labrador became part of Canada and became a province in 1949. Maybe they hadn't decided if it was a Maritime Province or not yet when you were in the fourth grade. It certainly is maritime (with a lower case "m").

The Bay of Fundy (World's biggest tidal range) is the bay between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. A small part of the bay actually touches Maine. Yes, that is "The Maritimes" (with a capital M"").
So if Newfoundland and Labrador became part of Canada in 1949, what country did they belong to before that year?
Old 04-13-2015, 06:53 PM   #4166
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
So if Newfoundland and Labrador became part of Canada in 1949, what country did they belong to before that year?
They were an English colony until the early 20th century. Then they were a dominion and part of the Commonwealth. That was followed by a period where England ruled. I think they had a lot of debt and that was how they got it forgiven.

Last time I visited Newfoundland, in the '80s, there were some people who still referred to anywhere in the rest of Canada as "over in Canada".
Old 04-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #4167
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
They were an English colony until the early 20th century. Then they were a dominion and part of the Commonwealth. That was followed by a period where England ruled. I think they had a lot of debt and that was how they got it forgiven.

Last time I visited Newfoundland, in the '80s, there were some people who still referred to anywhere in the rest of Canada as "over in Canada".
Evidently you folks who live "over in Canada" haven't done as much as you could to make them feel welcome. You need to introduce them to DC. We know how to give a proper welcome.

BTW, I will only buy potatoes from Maine or P.E.I. In the summer though, we have some local farms that sell to Market Basket. I try to buy local as much as I can. But they aren't always available. I figure Idaho has enough customers buying their potatoes. I got a five pound bag this month that was from P.E.I. and were so clean, you could bite right into them without even washing them. (childhood memories.)
Old 04-16-2015, 08:50 PM   #4168
Chef Extraordinaire

This this not a petty vent, this is a major vent.

I pulled up to the commercial kitchen today to drop of the various products I'd picked up--12 #10 cans of hominy (they are heavy), 40 lb of fresh noodles, a 10 kg of feta, etc. Double-parked and ran into the building to see if one of the other tenants would please move their cars so I could off-load at the door. We do this all the time. While I was double-parked, by-law showed and threatened to write me a $95 ticket (this has taken--30 seconds), by-law? On this dead-end street? Really? Oh street cleaning. Tow truck is right behind the by-law officer and there are signs (paper) that read Street Cleaning 0900-1900. I thought they had to post those the day before, they weren't there yesterday. They weren't there at 2:30 p.m.. but now at 3:11 p.m., not only are the signs there, but by-law is there, the tow truck is there, and the street sweeper was there waiting. The nearest parking was a grocery store 5 minutes drive away.

The by-law officer (By-law court is a quasi judicial court) threatened to give me a ticket--I held my hand out and said, "give it to me, I need to off load this food. My boss would rather pay the fine than waste this food and if the perishables out of my car in the fridge in by 3:30, they are toast." He didn't give me a ticket, but he was really nasty--cursed at me, it was awful. The folks at the kitchen were all outside because their cars were parked on the street, had been all day, they didn't know what the frig was going on. On of the guys from the kitchen next door, had the foresight to take pics. There were several witnesses to this. The signs weren't there before 3:00 p.m. (I arrived at 3:11), but by-law and the tow truck were. Signs are supposed to be up 4 hours in advance tickets cannot be issued if the signs weren't up then.

This is a money grab. The poor UPS driver got a ticket for delivering a package and double parking. He was right behind me. Really? Okay, I vented, but I'm not done yet. I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:08 PM   #4169
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
This this not a petty vent, this is a major vent.

I pulled up to the commercial kitchen today to drop of the various products I'd picked up--12 #10 cans of hominy (they are heavy), 40 lb of fresh noodles, a 10 kg of feta, etc. Double-parked and ran into the building to see if one of the other tenants would please move their cars so I could off-load at the door. We do this all the time. While I was double-parked, by-law showed and threatened to write me a $95 ticket (this has taken--30 seconds), by-law? On this dead-end street? Really? Oh street cleaning. Tow truck is right behind the by-law officer and there are signs (paper) that read Street Cleaning 0900-1900. I thought they had to post those the day before, they weren't there yesterday. They weren't there at 2:30 p.m.. but now at 3:11 p.m., not only are the signs there, but by-law is there, the tow truck is there, and the street sweeper was there waiting. The nearest parking was a grocery store 5 minutes drive away.

The by-law officer (By-law court is a quasi judicial court) threatened to give me a ticket--I held my hand out and said, "give it to me, I need to off load this food. My boss would rather pay the fine than waste this food and if the perishables out of my car in the fridge in by 3:30, they are toast." He didn't give me a ticket, but he was really nasty--cursed at me, it was awful. The folks at the kitchen were all outside because their cars were parked on the street, had been all day, they didn't know what the frig was going on. On of the guys from the kitchen next door, had the foresight to take pics. There were several witnesses to this. The signs weren't there before 3:00 p.m. (I arrived at 3:11), but by-law and the tow truck were. Signs are supposed to be up 4 hours in advance tickets cannot be issued if the signs weren't up then.

This is a money grab. The poor UPS driver got a ticket for delivering a package and double parking. He was right behind me. Really? Okay, I vented, but I'm not done yet. I'll be making some phone calls tomorrow.
And please do let us know how this all ends!
Old 04-16-2015, 10:34 PM   #4170
Master Chef

Honestly CWS, there are some little people who get just a little authority, and they get all big-headed about it. I hope you have his name, and badge number, and copies of the pictures from the neighbor kitchen, and are able to get his superior to smack him back into the little hole he crawled out from.

I hope you get the chance to keep us updated about your results. Will they let you have a computer in jail?