Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PF, I don't recall what site I was trying to use the last time I tried to do taxes online last year. It said it was free, but when I got to the end it said I owed $19.95. This time I was going to use Turbo Tax Free Site but then decided to go to the AARP to have them do it. They are trying to recruit me to take the tax course they offer and become a volunteer. I'm considering that, but have until next year to decide.

PF, I don't recall what site I was trying to use the last time I tried to do taxes online last year. It said it was free, but when I got to the end it said I owed $19.95. This time I was going to use Turbo Tax Free Site but then decided to go to the AARP to have them do it. They are trying to recruit me to take the tax course they offer and become a volunteer. I'm considering that, but have until next year to decide.

If you do decide to do it, just be prepared to give up a lot of your free time. Specially during the last week. It should be interesting. The only thing is Himself might have you doing your own taxes forever. And start teaching Himself how to cook. When you come home you expect a hot meal on the table. But don't be surprised if he carts you off to "The Home"! He will tell you that they serve hot meals every day. You already have him doing all of the vacuuming. Get him a pretty apron with ruffles. If he rebels, tell him it was some crazy member of DC that made all these suggestions. Just don't give him my name. :angel:

No, Addie, they said you are only required to give 4 hours per week, it's up to you. They said they really need volunteers. If they would just do the taxes and not BS so much with everyone, they would have enough people! Also, once you finish the course, if you decide you don't want to volunteer, that's your choice. I think this is the definition of the word "volunteer."

And DH does half of the cooking already. He's a good cook!

I sort of volunteered one year. It's a program run by the Quebec and Federal governments. I took the course. Then, I found out that I would have to fill in the returns on paper. I would not be allowed to use my professional tax software, which by the way, has a tick mark that the tax return were prepared through the volunteer program. I was still willing to do a bit, but they never had anything when I had time. :wacko:

No, Addie, they said you are only required to give 4 hours per week, it's up to you. They said they really need volunteers. If they would just do the taxes and not BS so much with everyone, they would have enough people! Also, once you finish the course, if you decide you don't want to volunteer, that's your choice. I think this is the definition of the word "volunteer."

And DH does half of the cooking already. He's a good cook!

Well then, I say go for it. It will get you out of the house and you may just make a bunch of new friends. I would love to do volunteer work. But I can't walk more than about fifty feet. And I hate to keep asking for someone to drive me and pick me up. We do have a Senior Shuttle that is free. But it is mainly for the elderly that have doctors appointments and shopping. Heck, four hours will go by so fast, you will see yourself staying there more than four hours without even realizing it. :angel:

This group only does online returns. There go to several local towns, but you get to choose which area you want, regardless of their need. They have it 4 hours each Tuesday and Thursday. I don't know if they go to other areas on the other days. I think it's a good idea to help people, but I don't know if I would trust myself not to make a mistake. It is supposed to be only for persons over 65, low to moderate income, and there are certain returns with certain categories that they will not do. Also, you have no personal responsibility if you make a mistake. AARP takes the responsibility. But I would stll feel bad if I screwed up someone's taxes.

It is supposed to be from 9-1, but there were some volunteers who came in early, around 7 and started on anyone who was there early to get in line. Once they have enough people in the door they close it, with a sign that says come back the next day. People line up early. So they let some people come in early, then other volunteers came in at 9. We got there at 8 and were 5th in line, and each volunteer already had someone at their desk.

Last edited:
I've always done my own taxes. An offshoot of my accounting background. Every year I buy TurboTax at Costco and go from there. This year I couldn't load TurboTax on my Mac because my operating system is too old! So I went online to the TT website and completed my taxes through the website.

I took the TT I bought back to Costco for a refund. I took a copy of the email confirming my online purchase for evidence. Got a full credit. The CS person told me she didn't care about the email, I was getting a refund anyway.

I've been using Turbo Tax Deluxe for my personal returns for several years. Starting 2014 they stopped including Schedule D, among other common schedules as well so I had to return the Deluxe and move up one level to their Premier Edition. Massive negative reviews for TT on Amazon for this unannounced change.

Last edited:
I like Taxact Deluxe online. They import the previous year's info, and you can get any form, which is good as I have a bunch of unusual investment stuff. The only issue I had with it this year was that I did it on the iPad, and it was a bit glitchy. Sometimes the "continue" button wouldn't continue, so I had to back out, go to my emails or another site, then go back to where I had been. Annoying, but not a deal breaker. It costs $22 to file both federal and state. There's also a free version.

Last edited:
Carol, over 65 is probably the easiest one to do. As long as they don't have a large bank account that collects large interest, you will do fine. And if their income is under $35,000 a year, there is nothing for them to claim. The usual ones for over 65, are you blind, etc. are simple enough to answer. What most of them do not realize is that when you turn 65, and your income is under $35,000 and you have no deductions, then you don't have to file.

I am just one step up from being The Family Idiot and even I can do them for the elderly. And don't forget they will train you and there is always someone there to ask for help. So relax. You will have fun and meet and make new friends. :angel:

That's okay, I was just going to go look at it and give you some step by step directions if you still wanted to do it online. Now I'll have time to go outside and look for tornadoes.

Tax advice

As I stated before, I am a volunteer helping prepare taxes under an IRS AARP program for which I had to take classes.
I do not know where anyone got that $35,000 number, but it is incorrect.
Here is the data directly from the United States Internal Revenue Service(IRS). Please disregard any other sources
You have to file a return if your income other than from Social Security is as follows:
Single
Under 65-$10,500
Over 65-$11,700
Married filing jointly
Both Under 65-$20,300
One under 65-$21,500
Both over 65-$22,700

Last edited:
The gentleman who did our taxes said his daughter bought Turbo Tax to do her taxes and he was also doing them on his program to see if he came up with the same number. Turbo Tax found a big item that he missed. I don't remember the details, but it had something to do with her education expenses. She went over the amount allowed for educational expenses, but Turbo Tax listed the difference as something else and she was able to deduct it.

I use firefox with adblock plus, Taxy. The ads show up in the space between the line near the top starting with User CP and before the Post Reply button.

This started about a month or two ago and is very annoying. It seems to me that I remember that there was a place where I could tell Google they weren't allowed to use my information. I can't think where to look. Any help would be really great!!
Okay, I've been thinking about this. I don't get that and I use FF. I thought I was using Adblock Plus, but I checked my addons and I'm using:
Updated Ad Blocker for Firefox 11+ 0.7.7

As I stated before, I am a volunteer helping prepare taxes under an IRS AARP program for which I had to take classes.
I do not know where anyone got that $35,000 number, but it is incorrect.
Here is the data directly from the United States Internal Revenue Service(IRS). Please disregard any other sources
You have to file a return if your income other than from Social Security is as follows:
Single
Under 65-$10,500
Over 65-$11,700
Married filing jointly
Both Under 65-$20,300
One under 65-$21,500
Both over 65-$22,700

Thank you for this info. Copied.

Thanks, Taxy! I downloaded it and hope it gives me some relief from this latest barrage of ads.

I didn't know or hear about it before.

Thanks, Taxy! I downloaded it and hope it gives me some relief from this latest barrage of ads.

I didn't know or hear about it before.

I didn't notice it was different until Taxy mentioned it, must have picked it when doing a FF update.

Back
Top Bottom