Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been complaining about this for a few weeks now. I reiterate what another said, paraphrasing here, When I wish someone a Merry Christmas, I am wishing that Christmas day, even the Christmas season is a time when they will be merry and joyful, no matter what holiday suits their beliefs. If someone wishes me a Happy Hanukkah, I expect that they are wishing good will and joy. If someone gets upset because I wish them a Merry Christmas, then it's their problem. I'm simply hoping they have a great day.

I believe it's absurd that people can get angry about someone wishing them a good day, no matter the holiday.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

IMHO such sensitivity is getting ridiculous. I believe it is at Oberlin College that the cafeteria is being charged with racism because their ethnic recipes are not authentically prepared.

Indeed. I'm Jewish and is somebody wishes me MC I totally do not have problem with it. If person knows that I am Jewish and still does it, then I'll wish that person Happy Chanukah. As a joke obviously.
I think the only people who are bent out of shape are the people who are not sure who they are. What they are, people who are not stable in their beliefs.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

I am on a "rant" today. Thursday someone wished me a "Happy Holiday."

"Which holiday?" asked. "Christmas, New Years, Quanza? Which one."

All I got in return was a stare. "Well I guess I mean Christmas."

"Then wish me a Merry Christmas. If I am not Christian, I will let you know. Stop worrying about being so PC. It is not becoming to anyone. Remember, it 'tis the reason for the season."

All I see on the TV is Happy Holiday. I want to see Merry Christmas. :angel:

I can't imagine attacking someone who wishes someone "Happy Holidays". There's no "Christmas Spirit" in doing such a nasty unkind thing.

12294640_10208310932916920_4166568054100872682_n.jpg

"Then wish me a Merry Christmas. If I am not Christian, I will let you know. Stop worrying about being so PC. It is not becoming to anyone. Remember, it 'tis the reason for the season."

Mm hmm. It's weird how, every so often, you make a point of telling everyone how intolerant you are.

Indeed. I'm Jewish and is somebody wishes me MC I totally do not have problem with it. If person knows that I am Jewish and still does it, then I'll wish that person Happy Chanukah. As a joke obviously.
I think the only people who are bent out of shape are the people who are not sure who they are. What they are, people who are not stable in their beliefs.

Well said CharlieD

Josie

Pretty much the only time I get "bent out of shape" if someone says "Merry Xmas" to me is when it's meant rudely. Those are the times that someone who knows I don't celebrate Xmas says "Merry Xmas" to me with "that tone of voice". I might ignore it or I might say something snarky.

I have a number of my Mom's and my Aunt's vintage brooches. Vintage 1950's. Guess what one of my favorite ones is? The one that says "Happy Holidays". Greetings like that have been used as well-wishes at this time of year for well over a half-century. As the graphic that taxy posted points out, there are many holidays in the last two months of the year. If someone wishes me "Happy Holidays" I figure they want me to enjoy ALL of them, and not just Christmas. Besides, WHICH Christmas do you want them to wish you a Merry for? December 25th? Or maybe it's the Orthodox date of January 7th? :ermm: Next time, just smile and reply "Merry Christmas".
christmas-angel-smiley-emoticon.gif

IMHO such sensitivity is getting ridiculous. I believe it is at Oberlin College that the cafeteria is being charged with racism because their ethnic recipes are not authentically prepared.
Oberlin is getting raked over the coals for all sorts of perceived offenses. It's sad, too, because Oberlin has always been a very progressive place, both the college and the town. It was a stop along the Underground Railroad, it's always been a community accepting of all sorts of alternate lifestyles. And now? One wonders what "oops" in the college cafeteria caused a group of students to get their knickers in a twist.

I have been having really hard time sleeping, due to lousy pillows. I am not used to American style pillows, but cannot find a good quality european pillow. The square ones. They are available on Amazon, but I am afraid to buy something and then deal with returns, could be a pain in the neck, literally. Does anybody have experience with european pillows?

I have been having really hard time sleeping, due to lousy pillows. I am not used to American style pillows, but cannot find a good quality european pillow. The square ones. They are available on Amazon, but I am afraid to buy something and then deal with returns, could be a pain in the neck, literally. Does anybody have experience with european pillows?
I think you can get them at Ikea. I know you can get the square pillow cases, or at least could.

Charlie, other than the square shape, what do you want inside? Personally, I can't sleep on anything but down.

Both Target and Penney's claim to have them.

Last edited:
Charlie, other than the square shape, what do you want inside? Personally, I can't sleep on anything but down.

Both Target and Penney's claim to have them.

Yes down. I never seen them in target, thanks, will have to check.

There are a lot of hits. I know. Problem half of those pillows are decorative. Can't sleep on them. I've bought some from BB&B and some from Macy's. Had to return both times. They were terrible to sleep on.

Back
Top Bottom