"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #4621
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

That's terrifying, Addie, so glad she wasn't hurt.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:01 PM   #4622
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My granddaughter is a teller at a bank up on A1. Probably one of the busiest stretches of road in the state. No matter what you need, you will find it on that stretch of road.

Unfortunately they also have plenty of banks. And my granddaughter was the chosen teller to hold up today. Someone had to drive her home. She was shaking too bad to drive and couldn't stop crying. Understandably.
Not a petty Vent Addie.
I'm glad she wasn't hurt.She has a lot to be thankful for.Remind her of that.
Without going into details about what could have happened.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #4623
Executive Chef

We have never installed the ice makers that come with our refrigerators. We don't use many ice cubes so trays work fine for us.
Old 09-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #4624
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm sorry to hear that, Addie. I'm glad she wasn't hurt.
She did manage to get the dye package in the bag. Now the police are patrolling past her home every ten minutes or so.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #4625
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Grrrr. My in-fridge icemaker is not working. I've done the usual stuff, pulling it out, jamming it back in, jostling, poking, pleading and begging. I've flipped the on/off switch and let it sit for awhile.

Next I may have to do some electrical work, it's been awhile. I am not happy with my lukewarm, iceless screwdriver.
We just had that happen and the ice maker gears burned and melted! We had no idea that had happened. Had to get the entire unit replaced and it's working great.

However, here is a tip the technical support gave us. Do you use a filter on your fridge for the water and ice? If it is at 10% or lower, they suggest replacing it and within 24 hours the ice maker will start to work. Honestly, we did that last year and that was all it took. Worked like a charm!

Good luck!
Old 09-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #4626
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Petty Vents

Thanks, FF! Yes, I do have a filter, and the fridge lets me know when to replace it. I'm wondering if the new well we had to dig for the subdivision last year, with lots of iron in the water, may have jammed it up even more and confused the system. I have an extra filter, and will try that.

Right now I have an ice cube tray in place of the maker. I can live with that, but we have company coming tomorrow, so it might end up being the old-fashioned "buy a bag of ice and stick it in the cooler" method.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #4627
Senior Cook

Ours tells us when to replace it as well, however, for some strange reason when the filter gets low, long before you need to replace it, it effects the ice maker. We had to buy bags of ice for a week before they were able to get here. The weather had been 90+ and we went through ice like crazy. Of course, it goes out during the hottest days....Murphy's Law, right?
Old 09-10-2015, 12:05 AM   #4628
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH is all set to sell the house and its acreage. Mowing the lawn is like mowing a lumpy sponge cake due to the mole tunnels. He's really PO'ed.

I've told him that I'm not ready to move into the old folks home yet, fer Pete's sake!
Old 09-10-2015, 11:39 AM   #4629
Chef Extraordinaire

A good laugh, for a bad beginning!

Quote:
She did manage to get the dye package in the bag. Now the police are patrolling past her home every ten minutes or so.
I just talked to my daughter. My GD was hysterical by the time she got to the bank. The police had the bank surrounded within two minutes. The stupid woman actually sat down in a chair to count the money and make sure there was the $20,000 she demanded. The dye package went off on her in the bank.

The police demanding that everyone get down on the floor when they entered the building, did nothing to calm my GD down. Her manager had to yell at the officer that my GD was the victim, not the perpetrator. The fact that she was behind the window and not in front should have told him something.

If it is possible, there is a funny side to this. When the woman handed her the note, my GD thought it was a joke and started to laugh. She turned to go show her manager and the woman yelled at her that she has a gun. GD still thought it was a joke and started to walk away. Her manager heard the woman and immediately came to my GD's rescue.

Today, GD is still very upset. But there is a good side. She is moving into her very first own apartment in the basement of her parents building. They totally renovated it for her. All new flooring, painted from top to bottom, etc. Today all her new furniture (a present from her parents.) is being delivered and she will be sleeping in her own new home. Right now they are waiting for the furniture truck.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #4630
Master Chef

Quote:
I just talked to my daughter. My GD was hysterical by the time she got to the bank. The police had the bank surrounded within two minutes. The stupid woman actually sat down in a chair to count the money and make sure there was the $20,000 she demanded. The dye package went off on her in the bank.

The police demanding that everyone get down on the floor when they entered the building, did nothing to calm my GD down. Her manager had to yell at the officer that my GD was the victim, not the perpetrator. The fact that she was behind the window and not in front should have told him something.

If it is possible, there is a funny side to this. When the woman handed her the note, my GD thought it was a joke and started to laugh. She turned to go show her manager and the woman yelled at her that she has a gun. GD still thought it was a joke and started to walk away. Her manager heard the woman and immediately came to my GD's rescue.

Today, GD is still very upset. But there is a good side. She is moving into her very first own apartment in the basement of her parents building. They totally renovated it for her. All new flooring, painted from top to bottom, etc. Today all her new furniture (a present from her parents.) is being delivered and she will be sleeping in her own new home. Right now they are waiting for the furniture truck.
Addie, I'm glad your granddaughter is OK and that no one in the bank was seriously injured or killed....but your GD should have been trained to take every threat seriously and hit the panic button immediately. I don't think this was a 'funny side' to the story at all. It could have been deadly.