Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I friggin hate daylight savings time. That is all I will say about that.

Speaking of which. I got tired of my old alarm clock changing time according the old "daylight saving time", decide to buy new one so I don't have to deal with changing time manually, as I can never remember how to do that. Was in Sam's couple om month ago, saw slick looking alarm clock, only 15 bucks or so. Got it. Guess what, it did not change time at all. Which probably means it will still change it later on. Oy, not again ....

I friggin hate daylight savings time. That is all I will say about that.

I absolutely love DST. I think it depends on your typical day. I like it because it gives me time in the evening to work in my garden, or cook on the grill, or just sit on the patio in daylight, after my paying work is done. If it were up to me, I'd have us on DST all year long.

Just curious, why do you hate it?

CD

Last edited:
I've never minded it, though when I was working it was hard to watch the kids (and teachers) shambling along like zombies for a week after the time change.

Cozumel has gone to no time change. They're sticking with Eastern all year 'round now. Everyone is still confused, even after a year. Something to do with cruise ships. They did not consult me.

I don't understand why people would rather mess around with the time twice a year to get some extra sunlight. Why not just get up an hour earlier? I mean, basically that's what you're doing anyways. How does having the clock say that the time is an hour earlier than it really is make anything better?

I don't understand why people would rather mess around with the time twice a year to get some extra sunlight. Why not just get up an hour earlier? I mean, basically that's what you're doing anyways. How does having the clock say that the time is an hour earlier than it really is make anything better?

People on a regular work schedule can't show up for work an hour earlier, or get off work an hour earlier. If you work 8-5, you drive home in the dark, which sucks, IMO.

If it were up to me, it would be DST all year. I don't care if it is dark when I get up in the morning. I want to have some time at the end of a work day to actually do something outdoors.

CD

Last edited:
I don't understand why people would rather mess around with the time twice a year to get some extra sunlight.
Hear, hear, taxy! I'm in full agreement with you, even though that means I see dawn break on my way to bed some summer days!:LOL:

People on a regular work schedule can't show up for work an hour earlier, or get off work an hour earlier....If it were up to me, it would be DST all year....
Time for the boss to get with flex-time. When I did office work in the 1970s, it was a "thing" in my company. And my company was the telephone company - an industry that was very hesitant to change!

You just need to move somewhere where the time zone has later sunrises and sunsets. God and my old body willing, before I die I will make it back to OH where the sun keeps better hours. Once I'm in the ground or an urn, it won't much matter when the sun comes up since I won't be seeing it! :LOL:

Well color me stupid and throw out the crayons...

I was down for the count on Sunday (a case of the collywobbles...), so I thought I would make up for it today. Had three senior citizen bananas just right for my Mom's banana bread, and wanted to make a loaf of oatmeal bread because I found oat bran when I shopped last week.

I was oh-so-organized. Had everything perfectly mise-en-place for the two breads. Mixed all of the ingredients into the bread machine (I let it do the heavy lifting, then bake in the oven) and started the banana bread. I had the timing perfect to have the banana bread partway through its oven bake time so that it was finishing off as the bread was doing its final rise in the pan. Although when I looked into the the bread machine, the dough ball looked awfully small for being only 12 minutes away from finishing off the "Dough" cycle. Oh, well. It will rise in the pan, I hoped.

Started to add the banana bread flour mix to the butter/sugar/eggs in the mixer bowl and...why are there oat flakes in this flour??? :ohmy: Dang, I got the flour bowls mixed up. :angry:

Himself tried to console me by saying "it's not a big deal, I don't know why you're upset". Easy for him to say. HE wasn't the one mixing and measuring and standing on his feet this afternoon. He needs to read from the script where it says "that's terrible, dear. I feel bad for you, but at least you didn't cut yourself or give yourself a burn". THAT is the consoling I want! :LOL:

CG, we all have our Boo Boo's in life. And this was yours. Turn it into a lesson of learning. "One loaf at a time."

Today you are not going to going to be out in this weather. Find a cookbook you have been meaning to read, along with a cozy chair and corner and enjoy the warmth of your home.

I was down for the count on Sunday (a case of the collywobbles...), so I thought I would make up for it today. Had three senior citizen bananas just right for my Mom's banana bread, and wanted to make a loaf of oatmeal bread because I found oat bran when I shopped last week.

I was oh-so-organized. Had everything perfectly mise-en-place for the two breads. Mixed all of the ingredients into the bread machine (I let it do the heavy lifting, then bake in the oven) and started the banana bread. I had the timing perfect to have the banana bread partway through its oven bake time so that it was finishing off as the bread was doing its final rise in the pan. Although when I looked into the the bread machine, the dough ball looked awfully small for being only 12 minutes away from finishing off the "Dough" cycle. Oh, well. It will rise in the pan, I hoped.

Started to add the banana bread flour mix to the butter/sugar/eggs in the mixer bowl and...why are there oat flakes in this flour??? :ohmy: Dang, I got the flour bowls mixed up. :angry:
Does that mean there's yeast in your banana bread batter?
Himself tried to console me by saying "it's not a big deal, I don't know why you're upset". Easy for him to say. HE wasn't the one mixing and measuring and standing on his feet this afternoon. He needs to read from the script where it says "that's terrible, dear. I feel bad for you, but at least you didn't cut yourself or give yourself a burn". THAT is the consoling I want! :LOL:
I hear ya.

argh!! So everyone got ill and now I have to wait 40 minutes more before I meet little one again.. Yeah no meeting up at the train, just waiting and waiting and argh.. Silly vent but I miss her.

CG, we all have our Boo Boo's in life. And this was yours. Turn it into a lesson of learning. "One loaf at a time."

Today you are not going to going to be out in this weather. Find a cookbook you have been meaning to read, along with a cozy chair and corner and enjoy the warmth of your home.
Addie, I didn't want sage advice. I just wanted to vent.

I'm not hiding in a corner reading today. I'm sitting at my kitchen table, sipping on my coffee (tea later), looking out the sliding glass doors at the storm. As long as I'm snug in the house, I enjoy watching Mother Nature pitch a hissy fit! :LOL:

Ooo, look, it's a witch on a bicycle! :ohmy: Mom Nature looks like she's on a mission.

Does that mean there's yeast in your banana bread batter?
Nope. Each oatmeal bread ingredient got its own small prep dish, but I did use one mixing bowl per bread for the flour blends. For the banana bread, I did mix in the baking powder/soda/salt into the flour. So I guess the oatmeal bread got both yeast and baking powder. No wonder the poor thing was confused! :ROFLMAO:
I hear ya.
Love my man, but I swear they cannot be trained...

My daughter has been at my parents for 2 weeks. I have missed her so much, we all have. After some more mishaps , she got home 1 hour later then she should and is now sleeping.

Why is that Jon?

I love it, and detest the dark. It's depressing.
I got it double this week. Lost an hour to daylight savings time a d I'm spending a week in Ohio so I lost another hour dut to the eastern time zone. As far as daylight savings time I just wish they would leave it alone. Its harder on the farm animals than anything.

I got it double this week. Lost an hour to daylight savings time a d I'm spending a week in Ohio so I lost another hour dut to the eastern time zone. As far as daylight savings time I just wish they would leave it alone. Its harder on the farm animals than anything.

Teddy was very confused. He kept jumping all over Spike while he was sleeping. Something he never does. All he wanted was to go out for his morning walk. Spike finally gave in and gave up his extra hour he was trying to snatch. Dairy cows really get confused. You can almost set your watch by the time they head in for milking in the afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom