"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #661
Chef Extraordinaire

Next Tuesday my whole apartment is going to be painted. So I have been clearing the walls and open shelves. Amazing what you find behind things that you haven't pulled out for cleaning. This morning I pulled out a small bureau that I keep all my baking stuff in and for a junk drawer. It is small, but heavy. I managed to get some serious chest pains. I got the message and stopped. I just love my nitro spray. It works in about two seconds.

I am getting different messages from the painter and the office. The painter is telling me not to do any moving, he will do it. Management is telling me that I have to pull all furniture away from the walls. I won't be here when he is painting. Tuesday morning is when I have my appointment with my vascular doctor. When I get back, he will still be here. I am going to grab some stuff I will need for the afternoon and head for my daughter's home. The painter said it would take just one day. He has to put a coat of Kilz on first. Then the regular paint. And he also has to paint the ceilings.

This is a rush job. HUD is coming at the beginning of February for inspections of the apartments and building. The last inspection management got reamed because of the condition of my walls and ceilings. I had a big crack in my ceiling and part of my ceiling fell down. So they know that my apartment will be inspected again. What really has me ticked off to the max is that management has known this for six months since the last inspection.

I refuse to ask any of my kids to help me. It is not their job. This problem belongs to management. If the apartment is not ready for the painter, oh well! Nothing I can do about it. Everytime HUD finds a major problem, management loses money. The inspection is done by points. The more points, the more money management loses.

This building is a "self sustaining" building. It means that we can take care of ourselves with no or a minimum of outside help. How the heck did they come up with the idea that moving furniture is a self sustaining activity? Idiots! I am surrounded by Idiots!

Old 01-13-2013, 01:17 PM   #662
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Another Spider Solitaire addict.

For copying the pictures, try right clicking on the picture. If you are using FireFox, you should get a context menu with the option to "copy picture". It might work in other browsers too.
Like a charm, taxlady, like a charm. Thanks!

Maybe my problem with Spider Solitaire is just as well -- I'm not spending nearly so much time on it these days. When I see the number of games I've played....

Old 01-13-2013, 01:18 PM   #663
Head Chef

Boys howdy, Addie - it's never a dull moment at your place isn't it?
Old 01-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #664
Sous Chef

Ugh, back to the grind (first day going back to school). But, I decided I'm going to drop one of my classes I'm taking that isn't a prerequisite, and concentrate on keeping my 4.0, and trying to get into the program I want without an AA degree, instead of hedging my bets with classes aimed toward the AA in case I don't get in. If I get in my first time applying, I won't have time to finish the AA anyway, and it would just be a waste of time and money. I'm not much of a gambler, but as long as I keep the 4.0 I should get in without the 2 pts the AA is worth... Ugh I hope I'm right!
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #665
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
Ugh, back to the grind (first day going back to school). But, I decided I'm going to drop one of my classes I'm taking that isn't a prerequisite, and concentrate on keeping my 4.0, and trying to get into the program I want without an AA degree, instead of hedging my bets with classes aimed toward the AA in case I don't get in. If I get in my first time applying, I won't have time to finish the AA anyway, and it would just be a waste of time and money. I'm not much of a gambler, but as long as I keep the 4.0 I should get in without the 2 pts the AA is worth... Ugh I hope I'm right!
Sounds reasonable to me. Don't wear yourself out. It seems likely that you are increasing your chances of being accepted on your first try, by concentrating on the prerequisite courses. You can always take those other courses later, if you need to.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #666
Head Chef

A very petty grievance here -- I don't think I've ever been able to use a crazy glue type adhesive more than one time. Might as well just throw it out after that. Today I hunted the garage shelf for the "instant Krazy Glue - one drop applicator - stay fresh container - protective storage case". There it is! All right! Use the little pin to poke open the snout. Nothing. And I've only had it 3 or 4 years.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #667
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
A very petty grievance here -- I don't think I've ever been able to use a crazy glue type adhesive more than one time. Might as well just throw it out after that. Today I hunted the garage shelf for the "instant Krazy Glue - one drop applicator - stay fresh container - protective storage case". There it is! All right! Use the little pin to poke open the snout. Nothing. And I've only had it 3 or 4 years.
We've had that happen with every single container. The other day DH bought another for something he is doing .. this one has a brush applicator like nail polish .. boy I can see how this one will end
Old 01-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #668
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
You got that right, Tin. Maybe it needs to be sold "by the drop". Of course, mine also is only 4 or 5 years old.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #669
Executive Chef

Hair Color. You'd think by now they would have come up with some kind of fragrance that's pleasant instead of that horrible smell ... ugh !!
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #670
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post

We've had that happen with every single container. The other day DH bought another for something he is doing .. this one has a brush applicator like nail polish .. boy I can see how this one will end
The newest bottle I've bought has lasted through 6-10 uses! It seems to have some sort of corkscrew thing going on inside of it. It sucks the glue back down to the bottom of the bottle as soon as you set it upright. Bf was even using it to glue rockets together, and kept forgetting it open, sitting upright on the table. Still working fine! It's "loctite" brand super glue. Red label, black top. I don't think I've ever seen a bottle last through more than a couple uses.