Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My rant might seem trivial to many, but to me is important. At one time, vulgar language was owned by persons who generally worked in hard-labor invironments, such as the military, contruction, and mostly by males. This has changed over the years. Our language speaks to the world what kind of people we are.

One phrase in particular has bothered me for many years. That phrase is - "This sucks!"

I was in the military as a young man when I first heard it. But it wasn't in the truncated form that is spoken by the majority of our common society today. I knew the whole phrase, and at that time, when I hadn't yet chosen to be the man I am now, I swore and used vulgarities like a sailor. Then again, I was a sailor.

There are so many better ways to say that we don't like a situation than to use that phrase. In my opinion, when I have found myself using it, I have felt like I just dropped an f-bomb. I chose to improve my language, and quit using such phrases, and quit swearing almost forty years ago. It's a personal bar I set for myself. I just wish everyone would set a similar bar for themselves, not to be better than anyone else, just to be better.

There, I said it. I hope no one thinks I'm being preachy. That's not my intent. I just needed to take a stand against one of the many things that debase us.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
My rant might seem trivial to many, but to me is important. At one time, vulgar language was owned by persons who generally worked in hard-labor invironments, such as the military, contruction, and mostly by males. This has changed over the years. Our language speaks to the world what kind of people we are.

One phrase in particular has bothered me for many years. That phrase is - "This sucks!"

I was in the military as a young man when I first heard it. But it wasn't in the truncated form that is spoken by the majority of our common society today. I knew the whole phrase, and at that time, when I hadn't yet chosen to be the man I am now, I swore and used vulgarities like a sailor. Then again, I was a sailor.

There are so many better ways to say that we don't like a situation than to use that phrase. In my opinion, when I have found myself using it, I have felt like I just dropped an f-bomb. I chose to improve my language, and quit using such phrases, and quit swearing almost forty years ago. It's a personal bar I set for myself. I just wish everyone would set a similar bar for themselves, not to be better than anyone else, just to be better.

There, I said it. I hope no one thinks I'm being preachy. That's not my intent. I just needed to take a stand against one of the many things that debase us.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I hear ya Chief, loud and clear. No, you are not being preachy. Many years ago I adopted the slang (if you can call it that) words of dag nab it, dang, and other words of this nature. We didn't swear in my home. Yet when my kids got out into the world and on their own, they can make a sailor blush. Growing up, Poo would tell his friends not to swear before he would bring them in the house. My mother hates it and won't allow it in her home. As a result after seeing some of their friends along with themselves, getting tossed out the door and not allowed back in until an apology came forth. They learned to not swear in my home. Today along with his three siblings, they all swear. In my home and think nothing of it. I am so tired of correcting them.

And now, dang it, I find myself when I get mad at them, swearing right back at them in their own language. It is a language that is contagious. Being in the business world during my working days, I was afraid to develop the habit of swearing. It doesn't go over too big in an office of professionals.

We have a resident here in the building that has one of the filthiest mouths you will ever hear. Everyone cringes when she is talking. But in her defense, I owe her a lot. Hearing her, I now know how I sound. Hearing a man swear is or can be unnerving. Hearing a woman do it, makes your blood curdle and crawl. So now you will hear my dab nab it, dang thing, and other really strong words from me.

I had a neighbor who told of one day when he was in the service. He was in the mess hall and asked to have the f--k salt passed down to his end of the table. An officer was just walking by and asked him what kind of salt? My neighbor felt his face go beet red. The officer told him they don't serve that kind of salt in this branch of the service. They save that salt for the Marines. He got the message loud and clear. As a result, he never developed the habit of swearing like a Marine. :angel:

My mother almost never swore. She wouldn't even say, "I hate his guts." She would say, "I dislike his guts." On the rare occasion that she did swear, everyone knew that she was really, really angry and it made the point.

My mother almost never swore. She wouldn't even say, "I hate his guts." She would say, "I dislike his guts." On the rare occasion that she did swear, everyone knew that she was really, really angry and it made the point.

I once read an article that stated folks who persist in swearing usually have a small vocabulary. And they are poor readers. Makes sense to me. They lack the ability to find the right word that fits in the situation of the moment. :angel:

I can handle swearing here and there. What really chaps me is hearing people out in public places throwing f bombs around (and worse) without a second thought to those around them. Last Sunday morning I was in the grocery store and a young woman was on her cell phone, practically yelling on it, f this and that - completely oblivious to the families with young children right next to her. She could be heard from the next aisle. Pretty disgusting behavior, IMO.

I certainly don't like offensive language, but on the other hand, occasionally it fits. ;)

img_1427705_0_8265dc8995fd1ce8070e21624117cf2e.jpg

Cheryl, I think I would have gone over to that woman on the phone and given her a talking-to. What an obliviot!

I've heard opinions on swearing from two different views. My Mom swore. Not the big, "major key" kind of words, but she wasn't shy to let a "minor key" d___, cr__, or h___ slip out now and then. She always told me that HER Mom would say that if you said "dang" or "shoot" but really wanted to use the swear word, use the swear word. If you didn't, you were being dishonest. I'll admit to being "honest" on an occasion or two.

Meanwhile, Himself had a high school teacher who told the class that there were hundreds of thousands of words in the English language. If they had to resort to to using a swear word, they had better expand their language. To this day, I almost never hear Himself swear. If he does, I run for cover! Needless to say, when he told me he was laid off he sounded a lot like my Mom. :LOL:

CG, I gave her the eyeroll :rolleyes: but she was oblivious to everything around her. In today's crazy world, one has to be careful - people have been shot for less! :huh:

I agree with you Kay - it doesn't have the shock value it used to, but I just wish people would be more considerate of little kids within hearing distance. Not going to happen though. As CG said they're "obliviots" - love that word. :LOL:

Obliviot - credit where credit is due

Thanks, Cheryl, I like the word too. I can't take credit for it though. It was coined (or popularized) by Randy Cassingham, creator of the weekly humor newsletter "This is True". After posting a real newspaper story about the follies of individuals, he gives his own one-sentence take on the story from an off-kilter view. Some weeks I practically roll on the floor laughing by the time I'm done with the newsletter. I highly recommend subscribing. It's a great way to end the week.

I'm also amused by the fact that I'm recruiting new subscribers for the newsletter here at DC. It was through "This is True" that I found out about DC! In the past (but no longer), Randy would mention a Bonzer Website of the Week. DC was that week's web site, I signed up, and (as the saying goes) the rest is history. :)

I got a reply email from corporate Dominos thanking me for my concerns and that he will contact the owner of that store and let him know about it. It seems that franchises that are locally owned don't exactly bend over backwards to keep you happy. You could send corporate a photo of the worst looking restaurant product and all corporate will do is thank you and send along your concerns to the local owner of that franchise, nothing more, not even an apology or maybe a gift coupon to make up for it. It's just feedback to them. I wonder why they ask for your address on that form? We'll see if I get anything in the mail from them. I doubt I will.

Wrong! I was wrong. A regional manager emailed an apology to me and I now have credit for 4 free pizzas any size any toppings, 4 sides, and 4 drinks. I have to phone in my order and give them my telephone number so it works out on their accounting end, not a big deal to me. Sweet. I emailed the rep back thanking him. I was expecting nothing.

See? now that is what I call good public relations. I'd like to have a job like that. I realize his job entails a lot more. I like Dominos.

Last edited:
Thanks, Cheryl, I like the word too. I can't take credit for it though. It was coined (or popularized) by Randy Cassingham, creator of the weekly humor newsletter "This is True". After posting a real newspaper story about the follies of individuals, he gives his own one-sentence take on the story from an off-kilter view. Some weeks I practically roll on the floor laughing by the time I'm done with the newsletter. I highly recommend subscribing. It's a great way to end the week.

I'm also amused by the fact that I'm recruiting new subscribers for the newsletter here at DC. It was through "This is True" that I found out about DC! In the past (but no longer), Randy would mention a Bonzer Website of the Week. DC was that week's web site, I signed up, and (as the saying goes) the rest is history. :)

Thank you, CG! I'll check it out! I first heard about DC from a former member here who hasn't been on in ages....not sure I even remember her name - we used to belong to the same crime following forum about 12 years ago. :ermm::LOL:

Stirling woke me to let me know that he was hearing that siren/horm noise they make when you have to move your car. I usually park in the underground garage, but it is being cleaned and fixed, so we were asked to park on the street.

Sure 'nuff, there were some No Parking signs up. Luckily I didn't have to move my car. They were installing the unwanted, ugly "superboxes" where we will have to go to get our mail. I drove to the health food store and parked my car closer to home. Then, this afternoon, they started installing one on my side of the street, right next to my car. Had me a bit worried. I was blocked in by the flatbed truck with the superboxes and concrete bases. That's my "lunar gold" Volvo next to the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_20150702_113956.jpg
    IMG_20150702_113956.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20150702_163857.jpg
    IMG_20150702_163857.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 128
...They were installing the unwanted, ugly "superboxes" where we will have to go to get our mail...
Oh No, taxy! :ermm: Those are horrid contraptions. Those became very popular in our part of OH in the 1980s. When we were looking to build our second house we made sure we didn't look in any neighborhood that would be required to get them. We were lucky and dodged that bullet. I'm sorry that you're having to use them. :(

Our daughter's condo neighborhood has them. Has for decades. They're all rusted, the doors are difficult to operate, and when she gets a big package there is this whole circus act to go through to make sure you get to the rental office at the right time to pick your package up. Big, Big Pain.

Back
Top Bottom