"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Head Chef

Photo/Art/Images Enlarging?

I have some Images (mostly b/w - not from camera photos), I saved & would like to enlarge and frame myself. Is there a free program/download where I can enlarge the images/pics? Going to a framing place is so expensive. TIA

Old 09-18-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
ImageForge is a good, feature rich, and free editor. I’m not a big fan of it’s navigation menu, but all in all, it’s a good program.

To resize, select the option “Open after Resizing” to resize it before you open it, or even easier, open the desired picture then select Picture>Resize. It will give you a pop-up block to enter your dimensions. If you leave the maintain proportions box checked. All you have to do is adjust one dimension (horizontal or vertical) to the desired size, and it will automatically scale the other dimension according to the picture’s existing dimensional ratio.

Just remember that resizing a digital image often results in loss of quality. You’re basically zooming in past the native resolution of the pic, so it can get grainy, jaggy, blurry, etc. ImagForge has cropping tools, smoothers and other digital enhancement filters that can help as well.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Senior Cook

The GIMP is an GNU (Public License) Image Manipulation Program which is available free for Windows, UNIX(Linux) and MacOSX.

GIMP - Introduction

It is quite sophisticated for a free program. There is quite a bit of good documentation and even tutorials on the site.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Gimp is the most popular free program.

Enlarging will almost always result in an image that is not worth framing. It will pixilate and end up looking pretty lousy.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:37 AM   #5
Head Chef

Thanks all. I downloaded the one Keltin suggested. When I have a chance, will try the other as well.

GB, your probably correct. Would hate to lose the quality. Will play around and see how it turns out.

A few I like:

Datura Print by Steven Meyers at Art.com

Triumph Tulip Print by Steven Meyers at Art.com
Old 09-19-2007, 07:40 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
I have some Images (mostly b/w - not from camera photos), I saved & would like to enlarge and frame myself. Is there a free program/download where I can enlarge the images/pics? Going to a framing place is so expensive. TIA
Hi, Amy. How large do you want the enlargements to be? Some drugstores now have digital image scanning and enlargement services that are not too expensive. You say the images are "not from camera photos." I'm not sure what you mean by that. Does it mean you only have prints? If you have prints and a good scanner, you can scan the photos at the highest resolution available on your scanner, which will give you larger digital photos.

There is software that is specifically designed to enlarge images while minimizing the pixelation. Here's a site that compares digital enlargement software: Graphics.com: The shared resource for creative design

HTH.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:24 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

How large do you want them? Is there a reason you can not buy them from the site you linked them from?
Old 09-19-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
Head Chef

Haven't decided on the size for sure yet. I'm watching some frames on ebay. I may buy the photos/prints, but wanted to experiment w another idea, where you use one large pic & cut it up into several smaller ones -- then mounting individually (if that makes sense). Will see if I can find a link to show my idea.

Thanks for the info GG. Will check it out.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

I have had that very same idea Amy. I have played around with it, but never gone as far as to frame them. I had a flower picture that I took that I made into four photos instead of one. Each one was 19x13 instead of the original photo being 19x13. great minds think alike.
Old 09-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have had that very same idea Amy. I have played around with it, but never gone as far as to frame them. I had a flower picture that I took that I made into four photos instead of one. Each one was 19x13 instead of the original photo being 19x13. great minds think alike.
THAT'S IT!!! You knew exactly what I meant. There was a pic in a CB2 catalog (floral print), cut up and mounted on album covers? 12X12 - covering almost? an entire wall. Very dramatic & pretty. Figured if I ran off copies & messed up, I wouldn't have to buy 30 more prints (I may have bitten off more than I can chew - in my head anyway .)

What did you think off the pics/photos? I was drawn to his work, because his photos look like you can see thru the flowers/leaves - almost like xrays(?) Wondered how'd he do that? Pretty clever. Check out his site/gallery on line, if you like - Steven Meyers (sp?)