"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Two observations here. First, you are in Ontario, so the first amendment doesn't apply to you anyway. Second, even if you are in the US, a privately owned website can censor you in any way it wishes.
I may live in Ontario, I am a U.S. citizen married to a Canadian. Born in St George UT and schooled in Phoenix. I am fully aware of the first amendment so please don't preach to me. And yes the first amendment DOUSE apply to me, as it douse to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Not sure what you mean by that. The First Amendment guarantees the right to free speech. It does not guarantee speech immunity from criticism.
I don't care about immunity from critisim, I care about a thread that is deleted. Freedom of speech suppressed.

Old 05-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #42
Master Chef

Is this forum privately maintained or is it an extension of the government? Therein lies your answer:

4. Does the First Amendment apply to private companies and organizations?
No. The First Amendment applies to the government — to protect individuals from government censorship.

First Amendment FAQs | 1 for All

In essence, a modified or deleted thread is not suppressing freedom of speech.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #43
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320flyer View Post
...I am fully aware of the first amendment...
I just love when people throw out the old "my rights are being violated" line. I guess it's the fashionable thing to do these days.

You may be aware of the first amendment, but you don't seem to understand what it means. The government can't limit your speech. You are able to freely criticize public officials, or even be a card-carrying Nazi, if that's your thing. The government can't arrest you for that alone, provided you're not actually causing anyone or anything harm by doing so.

However, Discuss Cooking isn't a government entity. It's a private business. Just like a restaurant can mandate that you wear a tie while eating there, or a convenience store can say "no shoes, no shirt, no service", online forums can establish their own guidelines of what is or isn't considered appropriate. If you choose not to follow those guidelines, they have every right to take down your post or, worst case scenario, ban you. Likewise, if people don't like the guidelines, they have every right to go somewhere else.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:41 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Okay, this thread is now closed.