Poutine as Canada's National Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Already crispy fries in the bottom, cheese curds, gravy, top with more crispy fries, bake until cheese gets a bit melty. Yum! Sell them to unsuspecting Canadians...:ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

How about serving those crispy fries with Beef Stroganoff over them? I know I'm being rash here, but I got the idea on the Internet and tried it, and it totally works! (I read on the Internet that this recipe may be served over French fries in Russia, although I have no way to check that for veracity).

But it works.

It's the cheese curds that puke me. I love French fries! Gravy? Seems like it should go with something other than the side dish. That's why I like the idea of adding meat or fowl to this recipe. Get some protein in that. There's other food groups than starches and fats.

Last edited:
It's the cheese curds that puke me. I love French fries! Gravy? Seems like it should go with something other than the side dish. That's why I like the idea of adding meat or fowl to this recipe. Get some protein in that. There's other food groups than starches and fats.

The cheese curds are like squeeky cheese. pea size and a little larger that don't completly mely when the scalding hot brown gravy is ladled on top. the ones i have had have been more like jack or mozzerela curds.
Try it with an 8% beer like blue dry and your good to go. Carb overload but a real treat!

I'm a wine enthusiast. "We'll serve no wine before its time" and the right time is dinner! "A dinner without wine is like a day without sunshine."

Well, where they can't get curds, they use grated mozz...not the same...but the curds/cheese melt as you eat the poutine, so they don't really squeak...it is that melted cheese in the gravy that is so addictive...drool...I want poutine....darn, no potatoes in the house...have to put that turkey gravy back in the freezer....shouldn't have started this thread--I want poutine!!

Do you know what cheese curds are?

It's the cheese curds that puke me.
Actually, that's the part that sounds good to me. I don't eat fries, and gravy doesn't really float my boat.

I do love salty, squeaky cheese curds, though they have to be VERY fresh. I'm talking a day or two old, tops. I've only seen the super fresh ones over in Wisconsin. Even here in Minnesota, they are often weeks old by the time they hit the store shelves - which means they don't have much squeak left in them and they're more like shriveled little misshapen cheese nuggets.

Last edited:
I would agree to this ONLY if we start getting more real cheese curds here on the west coast. I have started seeing them in the stores more and more but I used to have to go to the specialty markets. And many restaurants don't use them (I am not just talking fast food, either).

I love a good poutine and I love that it is Canadian - the first time I had it was in Hull, Quebec on a business trip. I loved it but have not found many here that measure up!

I would agree to this ONLY if we start getting more real cheese curds here on the west coast. I have started seeing them in the stores more and more but I used to have to go to the specialty markets. And many restaurants don't use them (I am not just talking fast food, either).

I love a good poutine and I love that it is Canadian - the first time I had it was in Hull, Quebec on a business trip. I loved it but have not found many here that measure up!
There's definitely s/thing special about fresh (same day) St. Albert cheese curds. Luckily, St. Albert's is only about 40 minutes from the farm and the next town over from the place that sells organic chicken feed. Most of the local places use St. Albert's cheese curds...even the gas stations sell these fresh curds!

Actually, that's the part that sounds good to me. I don't eat fries, and gravy doesn't really float my boat.

I do love salty, squeaky cheese curds, though they have to be VERY fresh. I'm talking a day or two old, tops. I've only seen the super fresh ones over in Wisconsin. Even here in Minnesota, they are often weeks old by the time they hit the store shelves - which means they don't have much squeak left in them and they're more like shriveled little misshapen cheese nuggets.
Steve, you might want to try poutine with a Mexican twist--salsa, chorizo, jalapenos, topped with grated Mexican cheese (I can't get it here, I buy it when I go to the States--I know it when I see it, but can't remember what it is called) or, hope across the border to WI and get fresh curds.

Steve, you might want to try poutine with a Mexican twist--salsa, chorizo, jalapenos, topped with grated Mexican cheese (I can't get it here, I buy it when I go to the States--I know it when I see it, but can't remember what it is called) or, hope across the border to WI and get fresh curds.

I'm admittedly not a poutine expert but when does it stop being poutine and start being something else like french fry nachos.

I'm admittedly not a poutine expert but when does it stop being poutine and start being something else like french fry nachos.
I'm not sure, but if there are fries, and cheese curds, and some sort of sauce, it's poutine.

I had Poutine in a small town back in the early '80s. I had never heard of them before and they were already selling two kinds. The regular poutine with gravy and the "Poutine Italienne", made with pasta sauce. That was before most Montrealers had heard of poutine and it comes from Quebec.

Alix I'm sure I can find any number of things that others enjoy that you would consider yucky. Unless you're very unlike most forum members who post in those "who likes it? who hates it?" topics.
GG...good luck with that. I was gently teasing you sir. Please disregard my comments otherwise.

OK, now as for the poutine thing...I've made mine with mozza, monterey jack and other white cheeses, but honestly, those cheese curds are the BEST to use. OM NOM NOM.

Back
Top Bottom