Putting expired foods to healthy use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Former Trader Joe’s executive wants to sell inexpensive prepared meals made from `expired’ food - Business - The Boston Globe

Doug Rauch, the former president of Trader Joe’s who made millions of dollars marketing cheap but chic groceries across America, plans to sell meals prepared with food that is edible but has passed its sell-by date to low-income consumers in Boston.

Rauch said he knows the concept may at first sound unpalatable, maybe even objectionable, but he’s convinced that his Urban Food Initiative has merit. The idea is to take food “waste” — perishables at, near, or past their expiration date that supermarkets throw out daily — and turn it into healthy meals priced like a McDonald’s Big Mac. Rauch compares the nonprofit’s mission to the work of Goodwill, which resells donated clothing at affordable prices.

Rauch, who is negotiating to open a 10,000-square-foot store in a building owned by the Codman Square Health Center in Dorchester, said the Urban Food Initiative emerged from his research into hunger while studying as a fellow at Harvard University’s Advanced Leadership Initiative from 2010 to 2012.

Would you eat it??

Rauch, who is negotiating to open a 10,000-square-foot store in a building owned by the Codman Square Health Center in Dorchester, said the Urban Food Initiative emerged from his research into hunger while studying as a fellow at Harvard University’s Advanced Leadership Initiative from 2010 to 2012.

I live in Dorchester.

I assume that food safety is a primary concern.

I think it's a good idea. Though I'd rather teach folks how to cook that food rather than use it to make a meal,

I assume he means he's using expired goods for non-food use. Like as mulch, perhaps.

...I think it's a good idea. Though I'd rather teach folks how to cook that food rather than use it to make a meal,

I think it's a good idea too. I believe the article said he wanted to do both, sell prepared foods and teach cooking.

My concern would be the perception the food was unsafe or undesirable in the eyes of the target audience. That could doom the project to failure.

I'm stunned by the $47 Billion figure! Some supermarkets discard $2,300 a day in food.

I think it's a great idea. Most foods are fine past their expiration dates (we haven't croaked yet!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom