Q about cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
no cooking, off topic, cats

I recently took on my Mothers Old Cat, is there a "forum" as nice as this List where I can ask questions about what to feed this old Guy? He's "nuetered " and want's to be fed like 10 times a day! plus he's trying to sleep all day in my bed, and there's hair all over! but he's kind of cool, and he licked a Toad yesterday and is looking kind of funny!

Thanks, Eric , Austin Tx.

no cooking, off topic, cats

I recently took on my Mothers Old Cat, is there a "forum" as nice as this List where I can ask questions about what to feed this old Guy? He's "nuetered " and want's to be fed like 10 times a day! plus he's trying to sleep all day in my bed, and there's hair all over! but he's kind of cool, and he licked a Toad yesterday and is looking kind of funny!

Thanks, Eric , Austin Tx.

You can ask off-topic questions here. We all have experience with things other than cooking :)

How old is he? We use IAMS for older cats, twice a day. Don't feed him just because he wants to eat - cats can suffer from obesity, hypertension and diabetes, from overeating, just like humans do.

It sounds like your cat goes outside. All of our cats have been indoor cats. It's much safer for them - you don't have to worry about them getting hit by a car, contracting a disease from another animal (like a toad, which carries salmonella), getting hurt or killed in a fight with another animal, or bringing fleas and/or ticks into the house. HTH.

I used to be a Vet Tech. Doc used to use a concoction of cooked rice and ground beef or chicken. Ocasionally he would put some vegetables like peas or carrots in it. I had a wonderful cat and she loved it when it put the oil from canned tuna over her dry food. It is supposed to help with hairballs and is good for their coat. An occasional raw egg over dry food is a good treat. Don't give him milk unless it is lactose free.

Eric, if you are feeding him dry cat food, generally you just leave it out all the time and they eat at will - it's called free choice diet. Dry food is generally considered a healthier diet than wet. But if you feed wet cat food, feed no more than twice a day. Leave fresh water out constantly.

Yeah, cats like to "play with" frogs, toads, lizards, geckos, big roaches - all sorts of things. Certain frogs, toads and lizards secrete a mild toxin from their skin. It can cause foaming at the mouth, vomiting and altered behavior. But it is usually pretty short lived. It would be pretty odd for her to still be weird today if she licked it yesterday.

HTH, Eric.

Back
Top Bottom