"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-23-2006, 06:36 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink Ready for Christmas ? What else to do ?

Finally getting down to the wire, still have to bake my cookies, (dough in the fridge), re-do my Chex Mix -(not enough flavor). Wrapped last night, made peanut brittle, and started loaf of NY bread. No heavy duty cleaning - Santa likes the "lived in" feel -very homey ! How about YOU ?

Old 12-23-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
Head Chef

all presents are wrapped
2 batches of fudge and peanut brittle done
made 4 coffee cakes for gifts
6 loaves of bread. (few freind love my bread and wanted them for Xmas)
our big night is Christmas eve with parents.
got to make big pan of stuff shells for that
christmas day is quite just me and hubbie- making roast beef dinner for us and then going to daughter for little while so grankids can show us what santa brought.
Im more then ready.
Happy Holidays to all and Be safe Wherever you made travel

Old 12-23-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

still have to get gifts for dad, my bro, and one last one for dw. what the heck is a dooney and burke handbag?

and everything still needs to be wrapped.

at least i'm 1/2 way done putting my boy's gifts together in the basement. now i just have to figure out how to get them up 2 flights of narrow stairs.

grrrrrr, fat guy in a chimney, yeah right. how about a fat dad stuck in a stairway...
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
well I picked up the soon to be Roast Beast from the butchers this morning, I`m letting the bread stuffing (sage/onion) cool so I can add the sausage meat and chopped chestnuts to make the stuffing balls, the DW has to go out and drop off a few presents, and while she`s doing that, I can pop out and buy her a card and present (still no idea what to get!!!!!).
beyond that, there`s nothing left for me to do except the cooking :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:33 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I'm going to start myself a Christmas journal for next year. I will jot down whatever I hear from family and friends what they like, want, etc, so next time I will have a very good idea of just the right present. AND, I will get the gifts long before the hysteria starts. Should I have put this under resolutions? Nah, it won't be my resolution for a year - it will be an entire change for me.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Making a cheesecake today to take to my sister's house on Monday. Headed to my daughter's tomorrow for Christmas Eve celebration.

That's it.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Wow! Everyone sounds set! Bucky - Dooney and Burke is a type of handbag sold at major department stores. Go to a nicer store and they should have them. Good luck picking out a style though.

I am going food shopping today (I know, I'm very late). I am going to the italian market for the good stuff and the major chain for the staples. I am make another batch of cookies today. Tomorrow will be assembly/organization day and Christmas will be cooking!

Good luck to everyone and Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
the DW has to go out and drop off a few presents, and while she`s doing that, I can pop out and buy her a card and present (still no idea what to get!!!!!).
well... the deed is done!, and even tho I asked Santa Not to make me go into a womens clothes shop, I was somewaht forced to (other than the Co-Op, all the other shops were closed).
So... off I go into the Co-Op and by a roll of wrapping paper and the cards (one from me one from my daughter) and then off to the Girly shop *Sigh*
Happily it was Empty so I went to the girl at the counter and asked for help blah blah blah, and had several items bought, then I asked her, erm... is it ok to wrap these exactly as you folded them? (give "little boy lost" look), playing the "useless Male" card, and then she offered to wrap them for me, so I handed over the paper I`de bought a few mins prior and she did

so Lads, Fluttering eyelashes and looking all innocent works BOTH ways

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:15 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I had a couple things to get at the grocery store today but dh is working and it's snowing, so I had him take the car. When he came in this morning to ask if he should take it or if we should drive him in, I told him I had to hit the store. He said he'd gladly pick up whatever I needed and I told him "I'm afraid you'll get the wrong thing." It's like when he sends me to the hardware store.

I suppose I'll start cooking something today, I hadn't planned on cooking since I was going to go into town but you gotta roll with the punches. I'll attempt at making fudge and maybe brocolli rice casserole today. Just keeping us all from going crazy will be an accomplishment. Hopefully we can go outside and play.

After the kids go down for bed tonight, I'll wrap gifts and fold the laundry while watching Love Actually.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Lots of wrapping left to do. It's takes me many hours to get things wrapped. And cooking, of course.