Reggiano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About the price of these cheeses. I buy wedges of "Private Selection" brand parmesan. It's not Reggiano and isn't priced like it either, but I think is "pretty good." It seems to go a long way because it is very flavorful and you don't slice like other cheeses. Somebody mentioned the potato peeler? I use those "peels" on top of apple or pear slices. With "spaghetti sauce," it seems to go even
further and flavor even better grated on a micro-plane.

Yes, I have seen 24 month old Reggiano obviously too or older.

I did not want to write continuously .. It was very late when I answered this post ..

Have a lovely day ..

About the price of these cheeses. I buy wedges of "Private Selection" brand parmesan. It's not Reggiano and isn't priced like it either, but I think is "pretty good." It seems to go a long way because it is very flavorful and you don't slice like other cheeses. Somebody mentioned the potato peeler? I use those "peels" on top of apple or pear slices. With "spaghetti sauce," it seems to go even
further and flavor even better grated on a micro-plane.

The last time we bought PR, it was around $7.34 #. Granted we had to buy in the size Karen posted, but that is one reason we have a vacuum sealer. We also started buying Gruyere in larger pieces. When they are sealed, they will last in the fridge until we use them up.

I make "chips" with the parm, large grate about a tablespoon or so spaced widely apart, bake at 375 for however long it takes for it to melt, spread out, and turn golden. You have to watch though cause it goes to burned really fast after it hits golden. They are very malleable before they totally harden and can be shaped. I'm sure that's how the parm bowls were made.

Do you have directions or a link?

Yup!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg4XK5hXzEQ

You do have to be careful of the temp if you are going to use it for hot food. At my girlfriend's dinner, she used it for her salad presentation. She made quite a production of hers. She had the bowls already made and in the fridge. And the salad was made. Just before she called everyone to the table, she chased everyone out of the kitchen closed her sliding door and filled them. She called every one to the table, and had all the bowls with the salad in them on a really large silver tray that once belonged to her mother. The little salad dressing server was already on the table. You got to eat your salad along with the bowl. She turned a simple little dish into a big presentation. And it was the hit of the dinner.

The last time we bought PR, it was around $7.34 #. Granted we had to buy in the size Karen posted, but that is one reason we have a vacuum sealer. We also started buying Gruyere in larger pieces. When they are sealed, they will last in the fridge until we use them up.

Properly wrapped PR (foodsaver or even double wrapped in plastic wrap and then foil), can stay fresh in the freezer for TEN YEARS! Once I found that out I purchased larger pieces for cost savings.

Properly wrapped PR (foodsaver or even double wrapped in plastic wrap and then foil), can stay fresh in the freezer for TEN YEARS! Once I found that out I purchased larger pieces for cost savings.

We have no need to freeze it (we do freeze other cheeses), because it gets used up way before it would go bad in the fridge. It is the cheese we use most often.

We have no need to freeze it (we do freeze other cheeses), because it gets used up way before it would go bad in the fridge. It is the cheese we use most often.

Even better for you if you use that much PR. Buy an entire wheel, cut a wedge you would use up refrigerated and freeze the rest! There's got to be a significant cost savings buying the whole wheel I would think.
I've seen an 86 pound wheel of PR go for $900 on Amazon but at $10 a pound I don't find that to be a savings as I have found it on sale for $9 per kilo. Amazon can be quite pricey on things. I'll bet my local supermarket could give me a decent price for a wheel.
Since kosher, I have not been able to find a PR with a kosher seal...I miss it.

Last edited:
Even better for you if you use that much PR. Buy an entire wheel, cut a wedge you would use up refrigerated and freeze the rest! There's got to be a significant cost savings buying the whole wheel I would think.

A whole wheel weighs around 90 pounds. That's a lot of cheese.

I've seen an 86 pound wheel of PR go for $900 on Amazon but at $10 a pound I don't find that to be a savings as I have found it on sale for $9 per kilo. Amazon can be quite pricey on things. I'll bet my local supermarket could give me a decent price for a wheel.

Why should I do that? Didn't you see that I only paid $7.34 # for a wedge? The wedge was 13 #. :ermm:

Reggiano is an Italian cheese reported to be expensive. I saw it once on a TV series 'Columbo'. Has anyone tried this and is it an acquired taste. Wouldn't want to spend a lot of money if it was over powering. I don't like blue cheese for example.

Parm reggiano is not all that expensive as good cheeses go. Just north of $10 at Costco. It keeps forever and gets better with age. For me it's interchangeable with Pecorino Romano.

It's not an acquired taste as much as some other cheeses.

I don't eat it as much as use it. Buy it and try it. At worst you can grate it on your basketti.

Why should I do that? Didn't you see that I only paid $7.34 # for a wedge? The wedge was 13 #. :ermm:

Like I said, I didn't think the Amazon price was a cost saver but I would think if you can get a 13 pound wedge for 7.34, couldn't that vendor sell you a whole wheel? I would think you would get even more savings.

Like I said, I didn't think the Amazon price was a cost saver but I would think if you can get a 13 pound wedge for 7.34, couldn't that vendor sell you a whole wheel? I would think you would get even more savings.

Not sure what your situation is, but I for one am not in a position to spend $500-$700 for 90 pounds of cheese. Don't care to spend that kind of money and, more important, I don't have storage space for 89 pounds of cheese in my freezer.

Frozen cheese is NEVER as good as before it was frozen. Some varieties degrade more than others.

I freeze parm all the time but would never consider buying a large amount and freezing it. I buy it when needed and always have some in the fridge or freezer but neither is that old.

Frozen cheese is NEVER as good as before it was frozen. Some varieties degrade more than others.

I freeze parm all the time but would never consider buying a large amount and freezing it. I buy it when needed and always have some in the fridge or freezer but neither is that old.

I have to disagree with you. Flavor and texture changes in cheese are usually the result of dehydration and exposure to oxygen and certain temperatures. Proper packaging before freezing prevents these issues. I had a large wedge for 5 years before I finished it and it had both perfect flavor and even the melting stretch of a good parmesan was not affected after all that time. I did use a foodsaver for my cheese.
I will qualify my disagreement to pertain to very hard cheeses only. Cheddars and cheeses as soft or softer will get crumbly when they are thawed.

Last edited:

We use it up too fast for any of it to go into the freezer. Maybe the rinds, but not the cheese itself. I usually buy a 1/5 or 2 lb. hunk of cheese off the wheel. When I get home, it goes directly into the freezer. I next get all the meats wrapped and into the freezer. When that is done, I take the cheese out of the freezer and grate the whole piece right down to the rind. That goes into a tightly sealed Tupperware type container. By the 20th of the month, it is all gone. If I didn't grate it, then every time I opened the fridge, I would make sure I have a knife in hand to cut off a hunk. Specially if it was Pecorino cheese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom