"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Actually, Vera, I've always wondered what your signature meant. I've seen it countless times and could never figure it out. I sort of figured it had to do with the lyrics to a song and left it at that.

I'd really appreciate it if you could explain it because I would like to understand your statement.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:04 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The short of it Katie is it's a song by Midnight Oil titled Beds Are Burning. I'm sure VeraBlue will say why it is her signature and what it means to her.

I remember I hadn't slept well that night so I slept pretty late that morning. My husband came home and woke me up, shaking me. He said the United States was under attack. He just held me for a few minutes and was very near tears. He said he had to go back to work but he wanted to come home to tell me he loved me.

My heart tells me to remember this day.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Alix, thanks for starting the thread. September 11, 2001 should be etched into our hearts, our minds, and our consciences always! We must never forget!!

Re: Black chef: I want to shout, don't be so apathepic people!!!! Wake up!!!!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Kitchenelf, guess I live in another world because I have no clue who or what "Midnight Oil" is. I suppose it is because Buck and I have no young 'uns who can enlighten us on what is currently popular.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #15
Senior Cook

DC family, you are the greatest for remembering 9/11! It does my heart good! For some reason this 6th anniversary hit me harder than any of the others. Maybe because Bin Laden surfaced again this week, twice. I know they are not finished with us yet if they can help it.

I found myself somber today. I watched Oprah's tribute this morning from NYC. I half expected to hear of another attack today, or at least the aversion of an attack. Thankfully, things went well today.

If you are interested, there is a good DVD out there that really tells us what is going on. It's called "Obsession, Radical Islam's War Against the West". It can be purchased online and I hear it is now available at stores. The producer of the 60 min. documentary couldn't find anyone to distribute it so he took matters into his own hands and began selling the DVD online. It costs about $20 and is good to view and to pass around to your friends. We need to wake up to what is going on and to elect leaders who recognize the threat to our society.

Glenn Beck on CNN Headline News is doing a special report on terrorism this whole week and it is a real eye opener as well. Why no one else is getting this info out is beyond me.

I think the memorial should be simple, something that invites one to be contemplative. Oprah showed the memorial being built next to the Pentagon on 2 acres of land. Similar, I think, to Oklahoma City, there will be a bench for every victim. It will be a simple setting.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:04 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Actually, Vera, I've always wondered what your signature meant. I've seen it countless times and could never figure it out. I sort of figured it had to do with the lyrics to a song and left it at that.

I'd really appreciate it if you could explain it because I would like to understand your statement.

Sure, Katie

The line points out that most people just go about their lives with the attitude that if it doesn't actually affect my day or my life, I don't care. In reality, anything that happens affects us all, on some level. The line 'how can we sleep while our beds are burning' reminds us that it's not a good practice to look the other way and be comfortable with things the way they are. Get involved when you see injustice, question authority, and be aware of what is happening to other people...because as humans, we are all connected.