Remembering 9/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am with Chef June. I saw it from the roof of my building (5th Avenue by the Empire State Building). My stepson was walking to work downtown a couple blocks from the towers when the cloud came up the street toward him. Someone pulled him into a doorway.

I have not / will not ever forget. 7 years later, the people that did this are still at large. I do not go near the site unless I have to. When we hav out of town visitors, I give them directions, or DW takes them. When I left my office that day, 5th Avenue was filled only with people walking, no vehicles. When we took the ferry to NJ, the fire department was waiting to hose us down and we got on trains soaking wet to get home as best as we could.

Yes, ther is still a feeling in the air when near the site of teh WTC. More than that, I have lived in this area a long time. If you got lost, you just drove to a hilltop and look for the towers. They took you home.

I miss them, I pray for the victims and their families, and I do not understand why the people who did this are still at large.

AC

Im going to pop back in on this.

A few things that got sparked from reading the other posts on this.

As stated before I worked only a few blocks away in the IT department. and the things that went on. My former manager actually asked people where they were going when we were evacuating the building and forced people to stay. I guess the almighty dollar is worth more then a life, family and safety. My freind got stuck working 3 days straight becuase he went back upstairs for his keys.

My manager wanted me "fresh" for my regualr shift so I was in the city the saturday after and releaving the person that road his bike from brooklyn into the city..
Anywho when I got down there saturday I had taken a walk down with a guy I worked with and WOW. totally unreal. There was a flare up and the sirens went off. and I saw the crew run out of the pile. Unreal, flat out unreal

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm watching right now on the History channel an as-it-happened documentary.
It brings back so much sadness, I should stop watching.... but my boys have asked so much about it lately I thought they should see....
My heart, as a native New Yorker, no matter how long ago, is broken all over again.

I have pics of the Twin Towers taken from inside the crown of the Statue of Liberty that I will always treasure.

That movie should be shown everyday on every chanel, so people don't forget the reality of today's world.

I understand your point...but, should a movie be shown how europeans and british helped themselves to this land? Should a movie be shown every day about how africans and carribeans were stolen from their homelands to be enslaved here? Should a movie be shown every day about Pearl Harbour? Rawanda? Darfur? Like I said, I get your point, but I live here, know people that got out and some that didn't. While terror may be the reality of today's world, it's not all that today's world is. There's music and art and births and sailboats, etc... American isn't going to heal by perpetuating fear and showing a tragedy over and over isn't going to eliminate terrorism. Education will do that.
Consider another tragedy...senseless death as a result of teenage drunk driving. Should mothers of teenagers killed as a result of drunk driving be subjected to seeing a movie about that every day?
People in American won't forget the tragedy of September 11, 2001. Memorials have been erected and are still being built. There are books, editorials, songs, and even movies. I don't believe it's healthy, emotionally to relive the tragic unfolding of events. I believe its healthier for survivours and other citizens to find a way to move forward. People have to make peace with their loss(es) and then continue to stride forward. That's reality.

What is the freedom tower though?

It's a memorial being built on the site where the towers stood. There are twin reflecting pools and two tridents which were part of the original facade of one of the towers. Whenever the officials stop dickering over who's going to get more credit for creating this memorial, it may actually be finished. :ermm: Too many chiefs involved in this project....and way too many cooks stirring the pot.

It's a fine line that probably can be argued from a million different sides. I understand what VB is saying - many people, perhaps even some that would deny it, can't handle the psychological and emotional aspect of seeing the images again. Memorials have and continue to be built. On the other hand, CharlieD makes a reasonable suggestion, because we as Americans do often forget what goes on and what is the opinion of some beyond our borders.

The footage is disturbing, and rightfully so. Different people handle such things differently, which is why it can't be shown every day, because many would have issues like VB mentioned. Others, of which I will include myself, get a strong sense of patriotism and an even stronger sense of rage against those that did it and those that would want to do similar. That isn't to say others not feeling that aren't patriots at all.

The saddest thing of all is that something that ought to have completely united us as Americans has become politically charged and in reality has arguably deepened the chasm between "the aisle." I realize I'm treading on thin ice here, and I apologize. My intent is not to support or oppose any political position, but to bring attention to the fact that though it ought not to have, the tragedy of 9/11 has become politically charged, and in doing so dishonors those lost and dare I say disgraces us as a country. Yes, politics are a part of life, but more and more the converse seems true in America; life is but a part of politics.

Knowing I said some strong words, but having maintained a neutral position, I submit this post. I don't take lightly what I said, nor the closeness in which I am treading to the forum rule. I hope my efforts have made this post acceptable.

That's the beauty of living in a democracy - there is no national "party line". We are guaranteed the right to speak freely. I think your post was well-considered and you took pains not to offend others, Big Dog, and I welcome your input.

The events of 9/11 changed America forever and it will never be forgotten.

Personally, I would not watch a video reminder of this tragedy daily or even weekly. It doesn't mean that I am not deeply pained by the losses of 9/11 - I am. But I tend to look at such horrific events from a different perspective - how can we change the world to make sure this tragedy isn't repeated.

I, too, feel rage when I think of 9/11, but I work hard to look past that. I don't think peace and safety for all people can be achieved with an angry response. There is a difference between revenge and justice, and rage can blur the line between the two. That is not a comment on the war or anything political - it is a personal response to the terrible things people have done to each other throughout history.

That's not to say I have the answers. Heaven knows I don't. But I'm grateful to be an American who has the freedom to discuss this openly.

I remember that morning clearly.......had a phone call from neighbor to turn on my tv........ she gave me some details and I told her that I bet it was the handiwork of Bin Laden......she replied "Who?" I explained to her who he was and then sat the rest of the day in fear, tears, and misery.... the images on tv were horrifying and surreal...how can it ever be explained? Can there be such hate in someone's heart? May it never happen again...........

It's a memorial being built on the site where the towers stood. There are twin reflecting pools and two tridents which were part of the original facade of one of the towers. Whenever the officials stop dickering over who's going to get more credit for creating this memorial, it may actually be finished. :ermm: Too many chiefs involved in this project....and way too many cooks stirring the pot.

Well that's a really nice idea. I hope it's finished soon

i know i'm about 2 weeks late but you can see where the wtc stood from my apartment rooftop. i'm originally from los angeles and i lived there at the time but i remember the day like it was yesterday.

again, although i'm about 2 weeks late it's never too late to offer a quick prayer. god bless new york and all of america. here's a nice video i found of how the world reacted to the attacks... i was surprised at how many people felt for our country...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZiHN3z2o08

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom