"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2018, 06:19 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Lately Google keeps popping up on my phone asking me to review a place I'd just been to. I'm guessing it is sort of the same thing?

I should probably turn off the Google Maps tracker but I keep it on so they can find my body should I disappear into one of our country ditches.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:00 AM   #32
Master Chef

I should post a link to my deli and explain a few things from the owners' perspective...I use trip advisor a lot when deciding on places to eat...I get how helpful it is..but, you have to be able to filter out a lot of reviews to try and get a real feel as to how the place is..

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Just like a bell curve, I throw out the top and bottom reviews, then read the 2, 3, and 4 star (out of 5) reviews to see what the pros and cons are. Works for Amazon reviews, Yelp, Trip Advisor, CNet, Consumer Reports, AVSForums, and so many more.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:23 AM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Just like a bell curve, I throw out the top and bottom reviews, then read the 2, 3, and 4 star (out of 5) reviews to see what the pros and cons are. Works for Amazon reviews, Yelp, Trip Advisor, CNet, Consumer Reports, AVSForums, and so many more.
+1... good way to look at reviews...

Ross
Old 01-31-2018, 11:29 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I do that too.....works with the Olympics too.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:43 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Incidentally, I told my friends that went to dinner with me that evening about my 2-star review. They're telling me that they can't find my review.
Hmm... I see my review on the restaurant site when I'm logged on to Yelp but I don't see it when I'm logged off. Weird. Perhaps they're "reviewing" my review before going public with it ??
This restaurant has around 1300 reviews, averages over 4 stars, but there are also a bunch of 1-star reviews as well, to put things in perspective.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:11 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Cooking View Post
I believe that there is a great difference between a negative review and a hateful review..

Those being sued, most likely, are in the latter category.. I'd hope so anyway..

Ross
I don't think so. I've seen the article about this woman being sued by business, because she posted negative review about pizza delivery. her post on FB did no seem out of line at all. And now she is in trouble. Cort sited with business.