"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #41
Head Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,080
Yeah, its part of the game of being a vegetarian. My grandmother used to make me pea soup when i was younger, and insist there was no meat in it. Meanwhile, I could clearly taste it, see it , smell it .... I couldnt upset grandma, so i thanked her, then gave it to my mother when we left.
Restaurants, sure most of the time the broth is chicken, the sauce was made with meat, the apple pie crust with lard...The list goes on. SUre, in the ideal world, vegetarian = vegetarian, but it doesnt work that way, so I have to adapt to the world around me. No big deal. I do the best I can. Even the few strictly vegetarian restaurants I go to, sometimes I wonder, because some of the sauces just taste a little too real. But im not going to wander into the kitchen . I just take it for what it is, and if im really bothered by it, just avoid it the next time. As I said, Im not one to spary paint peoples fur coats, or burn down houses. I just want a good, tasty , vegetarian meal.
__________________

__________________
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #42
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Soy chicken (as in faux chicken) is not chicken so why call it that?
It would be called 'chicken' (meaning the word 'chicken' would be in the name of the item) so vegetarians or vegans would know what flavour the soy product is supposed to mimic. If the items weren't called chicken, beef, duck, fish, etc...everything on the menu would be called 'soy'. The fact that the product is in fact soy, is usually why the word 'soy' precedes the word chicken, or beef, etc.
__________________

__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:34 PM   #43
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
It would be called 'chicken' (meaning the word 'chicken' would be in the name of the item) so vegetarians or vegans would know what flavour the soy product is supposed to mimic.
I have never had one of these imitations that tasted anything even remotely like chicken. I have seen them attempt to look and feel like chicken, but I have never tasted any that could be considered chicken flavored. I especially could not see this in a soy (sauce) chicken dish where the soy sauce flavor would make the soy product taste like soy cause and not chicken.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #44
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Yeah, its part of the game of being a vegetarian. My grandmother used to make me pea soup when i was younger, and insist there was no meat in it. Meanwhile, I could clearly taste it, see it , smell it .... I couldnt upset grandma, so i thanked her, then gave it to my mother when we left.
Restaurants, sure most of the time the broth is chicken, the sauce was made with meat, the apple pie crust with lard...The list goes on. SUre, in the ideal world, vegetarian = vegetarian, but it doesnt work that way, so I have to adapt to the world around me. No big deal. I do the best I can. Even the few strictly vegetarian restaurants I go to, sometimes I wonder, because some of the sauces just taste a little too real. But im not going to wander into the kitchen . I just take it for what it is, and if im really bothered by it, just avoid it the next time. As I said, Im not one to spary paint peoples fur coats, or burn down houses. I just want a good, tasty , vegetarian meal.
Larry, I'm only speaking from my own experiences but I would like to assure you that you probably are getting a vegetarian base in those soups. Most chefs take vegetarians very seriously. It would be extremely unethical to serve something called 'vegetarian' if in fact it is not. That's like trying to hide pork in a chili you know jews could eat, or eggs in something you expect indians to eat. It's just not right. A chef will stake their reputation on their meal. Feeding something to a person who has dietary restrictions is a big deal, meant to be taken that way.

On the other hand, it's up to the customer or guest to always alert the staff of any dietary restrictions if they are in a 'free for all' restaurant. By that I mean, allergies, aversions, and food items that must be omitted. You know better than anyone else what you can and are willing to tolerate. You are your own best advocate.

Just like some people call that bubbly stuff soda and others call it pop...the word soy means lots of different thing to lots of different people. But, one last time, I've been two both ChinaTowns on both coasts, and countless chinese restaurants all over the country. I've had more chinese take out than your average citizen. In all that experience I have never seen the words 'soy chicken' written on any menu to refer to 'soy sauce chicken'. I cannot even imagine what that finished product would be like... Most sauces in chinese restaurants are chili, hoisin, plum, teryiaki, kung pao, black bean, garlic.... Those are the general descriptives used on the menu. I've never seen 'soy' in the name. Doesn't mean that some are doing it, but I have never seen it in easily over a hundred different take out menus.
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:50 PM   #45
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I have never had one of these imitations that tasted anything even remotely like chicken. I have seen them attempt to look and feel like chicken, but I have never tasted any that could be considered chicken flavored. I especially could not see this in a soy (sauce) chicken dish where the soy sauce flavor would make the soy product taste like soy cause and not chicken.
Well, then, you haven't had any decent soy products. If you've never been a vegetarian, or cooked for vegetarians on a daily basis it would make sense that your only experiences would be limited. There is a huge market out there both supplying and demanding superiour products.

And, to answer your original question about why the product would even have the name chicken in it...just because it didn't taste like chicken to you, doesn't mean it cannot be a descriptive to other people. Surely, you wouldn't expect it to be called 'soy-we-pretend-tastes-like-chicken-but-who-are-we-kidding?' It's called soy duck l'orange because it's meant to taste like duck l'orange.
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #46
Head Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,080
I think what VeraBlue is refering to is the word "Soy" being used as an adjective as opposed to a nouns.

For example: is Orange Beef beef that tastes like an orange, or is it literally orange in color ( i loved this analogy )


And in my case, is Soy Chicken soy (sauce) flavored chicken, or chicken made from soy...

And I agree that most immitation suff doesnt taste like the real thing, although it could be used in replacement and would work, in a culinary sense
__________________
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #47
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Well, then, you haven't had any decent soy products. If you've never been a vegetarian, or cooked for vegetarians on a daily basis it would make sense that your only experiences would be limited. There is a huge market out there both supplying and demanding superiour products.
Vera you know nothing about me. You do not know if I have or have not been a vegetarian or cooked for a vegetarian on a daily basis. You do not know what quality soy products I have or have not had. You do not know if my experiences have been limited.

I happen to have had plenty of quality soy products. Just because I do not find them tasting anything at all like chicken most certainly does not mean that I must have been eating inferior products.

The only think I know of that tastes like chicken is chicken.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:02 PM   #48
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Surely, you wouldn't expect it to be called 'soy-we-pretend-tastes-like-chicken-but-who-are-we-kidding?' It's called soy duck l'orange because it's meant to taste like duck l'orange.
I never said that is what it should be called. Read my post. I said it should be called what it is. For example, if you are using tofu to replace the chicken then call it tofu with soy sauce. It really is not that hard.

And I disagree that it is called soy duck l'orange because it's meant to taste like duck l'orange. I think it is called that because it is meant to be a vegetarian replacement for duck l'orange.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #49
Head Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,080
Now if they just would have replaced my soy chicken with something else, we'd all be hugging, singing and holding hands!!!
__________________
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #50
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
__________________

__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.