Safety Corridor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ps8

Senior Cook
My sister and I drove from Dallas to California a couple of weeks ago via I-40. So, we, of course, went through New Mexico, and in doing so, we saw several signs that said:

Safety Corridor next so-many miles. Turn Lights on.

Or something to that effect. There was no one to ask what it was, so I came to The Answer Place - Discuss Cooking! I know someone here will be able to tell me what it is. I am really curious about this.

These are stretches of highway that have more accidents than most and you are asked to drive with your lights on as a safety measure.

We have one here in MA that I know of and it's an area where cars wander across the center line and hit oncoming cars.

Your Friendly Discuss Cooking Answer Man

:) I live in New Mexico and its not known as the safest place to drive. As far as the lights thing you should have them on all the time no matter where you are.I never drive cross country at night any where its just way to dangerous.But yes there are places ithat are dangerous even at day time. The four corners are some of the worst.

I drove from California to North Carolina on I-40. I don't remember seeing those signs, but then again, I always drive with my headlights on, it's just safer.

We have several of those corridors in California. Like Andy M. said they are areas where a high number of accidents have occurred. Most of them are straight stretches where people tend to take risks when passing other cars. Also, areas where the background really blends in and cars are not that visible without their lights on.

We have a few here also, they are marked only "Towards Zero Deaths"
However, I would think if they were really trying hard to make people aware, they would publicize thier point a bit more. When they first started here it took us a bit to figure out what the heck it was, the news did not pick up the story for about 2 years!
I never can figure out though what makes it difficult for folks to stay on the right side of the road in dry conditions.......

We have a few here also, they are marked only "Towards Zero Deaths"
However, I would think if they were really trying hard to make people aware, they would publicize thier point a bit more. When they first started here it took us a bit to figure out what the heck it was, the news did not pick up the story for about 2 years!
I never can figure out though what makes it difficult for folks to stay on the right side of the road in dry conditions.......
:) Alot of people cant concentrate on driving when they are always on the cell phone or eating etc I once saw a guy reading a paper back book while driving a long stretch of desert in Arizona.

Back
Top Bottom