Solar Eclipse, August 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadfix

Chef Extraordinaire
Will you be in or anywhere near its path during totality?
I've never experienced a total eclipse so this might be the one. I'm willing to travel several hundred miles for it. I heard that most accommodations along the eclipse route, from Oregon to South Carolina are already booked.

Not near anywhere that will have totality. It would have been cool to see. This is the first total eclipse of the sun that is only in the US.

You'll be much closer for the April, 2024 total eclipse...
Neato! Yes I will be closer. It will be right here on the Island of Montreal for almost 2 minutes. It will be very near sunset, so we will need to figure out a good place to see it from, maybe from the shore of the lake.

If anyone wants to know the exact path of the 2017 eclipse and duration at different points on the path, here's an interactive map from NASA: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html

I am in the direct path. Have already bought my Eclipse Glasses. It will start at 10:24 am for us.

I'm not too far from its path, but I'll have to see about going into Bend, OR. That's a long way to drive for a few minutes of partial eclipse. I doubt I'd be able to get nearer the path of totality because of all the people and I'm not sure that I want to - it's August, it's fire season, and a lot of those people will be crazy.

Casper, Douglas...Teton Village in the western part of the state. Lots of places, may be hard to find a place to stay. Does Amtrak go to Casper? That must be your limitation. If planned right, Shrek and I could meet your train and haul you around where you want to go.

I've never experienced a total eclipse so this might be the one. I'm willing to travel several hundred miles for it. I heard that most accommodations along the eclipse route, from Oregon to South Carolina are already booked.

I have seen three. Two I knew were coming, and were not quite total. The third was in Barcelona, and around noonish, the streets filled with people and it got dark. It caught me by complete surprise.

I'll be about 450 miles away from this one, unless I get lucky -- I have a customer its path.

CD

I am in the direct path. Have already bought my Eclipse Glasses. It will start at 10:24 am for us.
Have you room for two?
s0226.gif

Himself has been hyping this for a couple of years. I told him we'd go, I was willing to book a hotel in the heart of it a year ago, but the condition was to get this house fixed and up for sale. Hey, if this thing is on the market I'm willing to spend money to celebrate! Well, nothing has been done. We won't be staying where the length of totality is the longest, but now he's checking TN Holiday Inn locations so he can use his Priority Club points. Smart guy. (That's not quite the phrase I had in my mind's ear as I was typing that...:whistling: )

I guess we'll be visiting the kids in August so we can get a head start on the drive. EVERYthing is so much further from here unless you're heading to the mountains up north (we don't ski) or to The Cape (we're not beach people). EVERYthing is so far away.

At least we don't have to haul the telescope...

No where near here, but hoping to see pics from those of you who are in the path and fortunate enough to see this event!

Unfortunately, I'm in North Carolina, near the VA border. So no eclipse for me - not willing to travel for it at the moment.

We live in the direct path in the center of South Carolina but even told our relatives that this is not a place we'd come to for the eclipse. It's scheduled for mid-late afternoon here in August. Mid-late afternoons in August in South Carolina are most likely to be in the upper 90s and humid. Worse yet, almost daily threat of afternoon thunderstorms means you are likely to find big cumulus clouds in the way. Yes, we have bought our eclipse glasses and are hoping to see it but we would encourage anyone thinking about traveling to see the eclipse go to an arid region to up their chances of clear skies.

I live in Central Kansas, so we'll see a near-total eclipse if I do nothing but go about my normal routine. I had considered taking a day off of work and going to Kansas City where the eclipse will be total for about 2 minutes and 40 seconds. But, I'm not sure I can justify the cost of taking a day off for that.

(To clarify: I'm self employed and a day out of the office will cost me a couple of thousand dollars in gross revenue. It's not like I can just take a "vacation day.")

I'm self employed and...
It's not like I can just take a "vacation day.")

I know exactly what you mean. This is my dilemma. I'm also self employed and I need to take 4 days off if I want to see this.
And being self employed for almost 40 years I had my last vacation back 24 years ago. I was able to get away for 1 week. That's it. I can't wait to retire.

We have already made our plans to drive with another couple to his cousin's home 2 hours north of here, just outside of Arthur, NE. We are just going up for the day. We will be dead center - already have our eclipse glasses. :cool:

Roadfix, have you made plans to go? I sure hope so......24 yrs without a vacation is brutal !!!

Not to mention we could all be gone by 2024.

My signature sure fits here.;)

Last edited:
Roadfix, have you made plans to go? I sure hope so......24 yrs without a vacation is brutal !!!

Not to mention we could all be gone by 2024.

My signature sure fits here.;)

Well, I've made tentative plans to take a road trip up to Salem, Oregon that weekend. It's a straight shot up Interstate 5. I'm sure there will be a million other people heading up as well....
As for accommodations I plan on camping on the side of the road or in a Walmart parking lot out of my little Honda as I'm equipped for that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom