Solar Eclipse, August 2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It appears that all of the US will get to see most of the eclipse. Here's something that can tell you how much eclipse you'll see:

https://eclipsemega.movie/simulator?lat=47.57155059999999&lng=-122.63882409999997

And here's a map of the eclipse across the US. I'm not sure how much Hawaii or Alaska will see.

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/nation/

Do not, under any circumstances, look directly at the sun through binoculars or a telescope. The light from the sun will burn your retinas out.

rr, Lowe's is selling Eclipse Glasses. The paper style, like the old-fashioned frames for 3-D movies, are just under $2. Himself got those for us, plus some to pass around to neighbors. Lowe's has fancy ones for up to $20 (I think those include a book or map or something), but the eclipse glasses aren't good for anything BUT the eclipse since they block SO much light. Thankfully I will no longer have to look through a little piece of welder's glass! :LOL:

He also said he was bringing along solar film, rr.

Hey roadfix, that film IS rated for sun viewing, right, and not just for cutting light through your house windows? I'm sure you know how to be safe, though. ;)

He also said he was bringing along solar film, rr.

Hey roadfix, that film IS rated for sun viewing, right, and not just for cutting light through your house windows? I'm sure you know how to be safe, though. ;)

These are actual mylar solar sheets from an astronomy dealer for viewing the sun. I bought them in sheets many years ago to make solar filters to fit various diameter objectives (cheaper that way).

Now, during the actual 2+ minutes of TOTALITY you can safely view the sun without protection. But be on the safe side and use solar glasses anyway.

If you can, check out the sunlight shining thru tree leaves on a sidewalk during a partial or total eclipse. Each leaf shadow shows the eclipse happening.

Last edited:
Change of plan. I decided to stay put and watch the partial eclipse from home.
Stories of massive highway tie ups and long gas lines just turned me off.
I'll just have my grandkids over that morning and watch the partial eclipse out of my backyard observatory.

That's what I've heard as well, roadfix. I'm just going to stay home too, and be satisfied with the partial eclipse.

When my daughter, her family, and I were on vacation up at their cabin a couple of weeks ago, they were talking about taking the kids and driving up to Salem, OR. It didn't take much discussion for them to decide against it.

I just want to say again, for those out of the direct path of the eclicpe, if you look on the ground under a tree that has small leaves, the leaves shadows will look strange. They'll all be crescent shaped. I noticed that the last eclipse (I was not in the direct path). I found that to be kind of trippy.

Last edited:
I just want to say again, for those out of the direct path of the eclicpe, if you look on the ground under a tree that has small leaves, the leaves shadows will look strange. They'll all be crescent shaped. I noticed that the last eclipse (I was not in the direct path). I found that to be kind of trippy.

Yes, the light shining through between dense leaves will project crescent discs on the ground.

Randy Cassingham, who writes the weekly "This is True" website (good read), once worked at the JPL. He had an interesting blog post about the eclipse this past week. If you're interested in what to look for and what special effects Mother Nature puts on during an eclipse, you can read that here: What to Look for During the 2017 Solar Eclipse

We're headed to Spring City, TN. According to the charts on The Great American Eclipse website, it looks like we might encounter an additional 28,000? people in the area. I've been in bigger crowds for sporting events, not to mention Disney World! We'll have water and snacks, and I'm the best bathroom spotter anyone can have on hand. :LOL:

As soon as the Eclipse is over we have to head to Scottsbluff, NE for the appointment with the oncologist. That's about 3 hours for a 50 min drive. I don't trust the traffic will be nice.

Randy Cassingham, who writes the weekly "This is True" website (good read), once worked at the JPL. He had an interesting blog post about the eclipse this past week. If you're interested in what to look for and what special effects Mother Nature puts on during an eclipse, you can read that here: What to Look for During the 2017 Solar Eclipse

We're headed to Spring City, TN. According to the charts on The Great American Eclipse website, it looks like we might encounter an additional 28,000? people in the area. I've been in bigger crowds for sporting events, not to mention Disney World! We'll have water and snacks, and I'm the best bathroom spotter anyone can have on hand. :LOL:

Thanks CG for mentioning Randy Cassingham. He's a great guy.

PF, I found DC through a post Randy had in "This is True", back in the day when he would feature his "Bonzer website of the week". I gave it a look-see, decided this place was a great way to waste time, and now give a shout-out for him whenever I get the chance. Besides, "This is True" is a real hoot to read! :LOL:

BTW, have you met him? The way you phrased it gives me the idea that you've had some sort of contact with him.

PF, I found DC through a post Randy had in "This is True", back in the day when he would feature his "Bonzer website of the week". I gave it a look-see, decided this place was a great way to waste time, and now give a shout-out for him whenever I get the chance. Besides, "This is True" is a real hoot to read! :LOL:

BTW, have you met him? The way you phrased it gives me the idea that you've had some sort of contact with him.

Lots of e-mails...he is one of my heroes. We net through his old HeroTalk newsletter.

I have seen a couple of total eclipses. I photographed one from a place where it was almost total -- and I can't find those photos anywhere. Grrrrrr.

I'm staying in Dallas, because if I spend the money to go somewhere to see the total deal, I guarantee it will be cloudy wherever I go.

I may take pictures, again. It will be a whole lot easier with digital than it was with film.

Protect your eyes, folks. It only takes a couple of seconds to do permanent damage.

CD

Back
Top Bottom